PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing help needed

waksupi
11-10-2016, 04:52 PM
I had a drip going on in the bathroom sink, so I replaced the stem, seat, and spring. Darned thing is still dripping! What did I miss? I've done enough of these over the years I figured I could do it again.

Thanks!

AggieEE
11-10-2016, 05:15 PM
From the description I'm guessing that this is one of the one handle for hot cold and mixed. If you don't get the top retaining nut down tight it will leak. Remove the handle and decorative cover and tighten down the nut using the the little spanner. BTW it's easier if you turn off the water first, I know.

44man
11-10-2016, 05:20 PM
Many waters eat metal so look for that at seal spots. A washer on a seat that is eroded will not seal.

rancher1913
11-10-2016, 05:35 PM
your op said you replaced the seat, this usually involves removing it with a special tool, did you actually change the seat or just the washer on the bottom of the stem. a make and model of the sink would help me with what tools or other parts you may need.

Hickory
11-10-2016, 05:52 PM
Plumbing is an invention of the devil.

Taylor
11-10-2016, 07:03 PM
I ain't a plumber either.

Geezer in NH
11-10-2016, 07:07 PM
All I can give you is hot on the left and cold on the right, Carp floats and don't bite your fingernails. :bigsmyl2:

I have a buddy that is a master plumber, when I have a problem he sends one of his minions by to fix it. [he likes my shot shells I give him to shoot trap, free of course]

runfiverun
11-10-2016, 07:20 PM
did you re-cut the seat?
if a tap is left to drip over a period of time the water will cut through and make that gap eventually.
all you see is the drip but there is 35+ PSI of water pressure squeezing that drip through there.
you have to re-cut the face of the seat then replace the washer for everything to seal properly.

osteodoc08
11-10-2016, 07:39 PM
did you re-cut the seat?
if a tap is left to drip over a period of time the water will cut through and make that gap eventually.
all you see is the drip but there is 35+ PSI of water pressure squeezing that drip through there.
you have to re-cut the face of the seat then replace the washer for everything to seal properly.

This right here. Sometimes it's just as easy to replace the whole faucet. May not be cheaper, but it is easier, especially if dealing with an old faucet.

i just replaced the valve on my shower last week. It was a moen cartridge. Popped the clip, pull old one out, new one in. Done.

jsizemore
11-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Delta?

Finster101
11-10-2016, 08:01 PM
I ain't a plumber either.

Nor an electrician if I read correctly. :kidding:

waksupi
11-10-2016, 08:05 PM
They are separate hot and cold. I may have the terms wrong. The parts replaced were the stem the handle goes on, the rubber round gasket thingy, and the spring that holds it up. I cleaned up the metal inside with steel wool, there was just a small amount of discoloration. It's only been leaking for about a week.
I'll be darned if I can remember what brand it is, I put it in nearly 30 years ago, and no visible markings on it. I may just need to make a Home Depot trip for a new fixture.

MT Gianni
11-10-2016, 08:11 PM
Ric, they make a tool that you can turn the face of the seat [where the washer sits against] to get it back to square with the stem. They also make a seat wrench, which is a series of increasing square sided inside sockets that you place inside the set to unscrew it and replace it. Often seats are a manufactures own item rather than a universally one size fits most item. With the many brand variations this often leaves you screwed or waiting 2 months for a part.

rancher1913
11-10-2016, 08:40 PM
no need to replace the whole faucet. you did not do the seat which is your culprit for the leak. you can as some have stated use a seat dressing tool to debur the seat but that is only a bandaid. the older faucets will have a removable seat that you can change out, this will get you another 30 years out of the faucet. you might find a utube of replacing a faucet seat, if not I can walk you through it. also no mater what brand if you can get a photo of the seat there is a shop in my town that makes parts for all the faucet manufactures and they keep a huge parts stock, they have saved me time after time when trying to fix old plumbing fixtures.

Pipefitter
11-10-2016, 10:59 PM
If you are gonna buy a new faucet the only brands I will install are American Standard, Delta, or Moen. All three have lifetime warranties, and all have parts that are readily found even in small town hardware stores. Stay away from the cheap plastic junk from China.

Dont forget to lubricate the parts with a good silicone (water resistant) grease when replacing parts

44man
11-11-2016, 09:34 AM
Even top shelf kitchen faucets fail. Had one chrome plated but they failed to get the plating inside so the brass corroded. I fixed it a few times and used silicone grease but the lime in our water did a job anyway.

Electric88
11-11-2016, 10:11 AM
I put a Pfister in my kitchen. They also I believe have a lifetime warranty.

It's way easier (though not as cheap) to just replace the entire fixture. I'm not a plumber by nature either, but it couldn't have been any easier.

waksupi
11-11-2016, 05:35 PM
I think I got 'er done. I just tightened things up some more. I'm always shy about being a gorilla with tightening things up, I get a bit carried away. Give me an anvil and a rubber mallet, and in a day I can have the anvil in pieces, and the hammer lost.

Thanks for the help!

44man
11-12-2016, 02:04 PM
I was like that at one time. Could twist a 3/4" bolt off. Laying under a tractor trailer with a 1" impact gun to remove spring shackles. Always afraid to tighten now. I learned the torque wrench. Had a friend go past the click and break bolts.

varmintpopper
11-12-2016, 02:44 PM
Tighten until it strips and then back it off a quarter turn.

Good Shooting

Lindy

Taylor
11-12-2016, 07:58 PM
Nor an electrician if I read correctly. :kidding:

:drinks:

Muskrat Mike
11-12-2016, 11:38 PM
They are separate hot and cold. I may have the terms wrong. The parts replaced were the stem the handle goes on, the rubber round gasket thingy, and the spring that holds it up. I cleaned up the metal inside with steel wool, there was just a small amount of discoloration. It's only been leaking for about a week.
I'll be darned if I can remember what brand it is, I put it in nearly 30 years ago, and no visible markings on it. I may just need to make a Home Depot trip for a new fixture.
Sounds like it may be the 2-handle Delta faucet called Delex you can get a spring and seal kit and complete stem assemblies for them which is what you might need.