PDA

View Full Version : Getting started butchering deer...

FergusonTO35
11-10-2016, 10:24 AM
Hey folks. I've decided I'm going to learn how to process my own deer and could use some advice. So far, here is what I have as far as equipment in addition to common household stuff such as a big freezer, freezer bags, water hose, etc:

Books on the subject
Sharp knives
Bone saw
Gantry and pulley in the barn
Just ordered a Chop Rite #10 grinder with accessories

Not planning to do anything fancy, just get it cut down to eating size pieces and frozen. Anything I'm missing here? Any advice for the first time butcher?

ghh3rd
11-10-2016, 10:27 AM
I've never done it, but will be. I have butchered a few deer and hogs vicariously via YouTube :-)

Thumbcocker
11-10-2016, 10:44 AM
Go to the Kentucky DNR website they have a step by step video available. Best I have seen.

Omega
11-10-2016, 10:55 AM
I too got a bone saw, but have not use it because it is so easy to debone one instead. One piece of equipment that while expensive is worth the cost, and that is a good vacuum sealer (http://www.vacuumsealerland.com/foodsaver-v4880-review/). It makes venison last for years if you need it to without any freezer burn, the one in the link is great but I don't like that it needs so much material to activate the sealing process. I have learned to pull back a bit right after it triggers to seal the bottom so as not to use a lot of bag off the roll. I used to wrap in saran then freezer paper, which is great too, but the sealer is so much faster and easier. If you want to do any sausage, stuffed not patties, get a vertical sausage stuffer (https://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products-Stainless-Vertical-Sausage/dp/B000SQDTRC). A grinder CAN do it but it is not the easiest, and the other sausage stuffer (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/weston-brand-5-stainless-steel-sausage-stuffer-with-3-pc-funnel-kit?a=546358) don't bother, it is just not that good.

Get on Youtube and check out some of the videos here is one I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhcF9D-z1JU

Lonegun1894
11-10-2016, 11:16 AM
All I use most of the time is whatever knife I am carrying at the time, usually a pocket knife, and plastic bags to seal it in. I have a grinder, but tend to not grind anything ahead of time, and just grind it as needed is whatever recipe I plan on cooking calls for it. I think you've got everything you NEED to have, but as has been said in above posts, there is a lot of NICE to have stuff available. I just like to keep it simple so don't get too fancy. Just debone it and cut it up into portion size pieces. I tend to put a meal worth of it per bag to feed me and my dogs (since they always just eat whatever I do), so that when it's time to cook, I just throw in a bag worth of meat into the recipe and call it good. And don't let anyone tell you you're doing it wrong cause there's always more than one way to get this done. Just get all the meat off of it, and each one you butcher gets easier than the last.

44man
11-10-2016, 11:35 AM
I have done every one, maybe 560 or more. No saw, just good knives. I bone mine, removing each muscle by removing connective tissue so muscles separate.
All fat and silver skin is removed.
A good vacuum sealer is nice but I keep front shoulders whole, clean them up and wrap in freezer paper. Use good masking tape, not cheap freezer tape. Makes great roast or BBQ. Smoked too.
I don't have a board so I lay thick layers of newspaper on the table and tape freezer paper on top to work the meat. Scraps go in dog food bags.
Necks are broken down for just meat and around ribs or any nice meat to grind. A neck makes a good roast but you need to get as much fat out as you can and also the big, yellow tendons each side of the spine, any glands, nasty stuff.
Keep meat cold. Back straps are filleted out and don't forget the tenderloins inside.
Depending on where you hunt, stay away from the spinal cord or brains. Mad cow stuff. Deer wasting stuff. Meat is safe.
You can cut and saw steaks but get bone chips off. Nothing worse then grit like I got when we ate out.
Nothing will dull a knife as fast so keep them sharp. I used a Chef's Choice but just bought the ken Onion sharpener, actually free with points. My favorite is an old, old Herters knife and a Cold Steel Hunter. To gut in the field a folding Gerber, razor sharp, is strong enough to use two hands to split a rib cage. A good Case knife will do you. And Queen.
It gets easy and is only time.
My Cabela's 3/4 horse grinder is a wonder. I swear I can toss meat through the kitchen door and it will be gone. I hate the stupid Kitchen Aid the wife has. Get silver skin off, it will plug any grinder.
Best thing about doing your own is you know what you are getting, seen tender doe meat taken and old buck meat given instead to friends.
Good luck and don't worry. Meat is still meat even if it looks funny! Toss the cow pictures of cuts.
Peel off some strips and fry in butter.

FergusonTO35
11-10-2016, 11:51 AM
Thanks very much folks. Will let you know how it turns out. My best friend butchers his own with pretty much everything I listed here in a cramped suburban garage. Unfortunately he is two counties away and works opposite shifts from me so it is hard for us to hook up.

GrayTech
11-10-2016, 11:57 AM
All you need is a sharp knife. I don't cut bones because it contaminates the meat with marrow which tastes vile and the potential to transmit pathogens. Just separate at the joints.

RU shooter
11-10-2016, 03:03 PM
I've been working at a deer processor for about 10 yrs now and I echo what has been said already a couple good sharp knives and a table to work on is all you need . Get it skinned lay it on the table . Take the back legs off by following cutting around the hip bone/ ball and it will come right off same for the front behind the blade . Inner loins come out easy . Back straps keep the bladeclose to the rib bones and spine take off that silver skin just like filleting a fish . The back legs just follow the connective tissue and separate into roasts or cut into boneless steaks . Easier to do than to discribe how to do it . I'm sure YouTube has videos . Also trim all the fat off you can Happy butchering

Driver33
11-10-2016, 03:08 PM
I agree with what's been said already. All I can add is to have good light an watch your fingers

white eagle
11-10-2016, 03:55 PM
best advice just do it
over the years I have lost count the #'s of deer
I have butchered for me and others
just takes doing it you will develop your
own technique then you can write a book on it

waksupi
11-10-2016, 04:55 PM
All you need is a sharp knife. I don't cut bones because it contaminates the meat with marrow which tastes vile and the potential to transmit pathogens. Just separate at the joints.

Absolutely, NEVER saw a deer bone, unless you want your meat to taste like ****.

44man
11-10-2016, 05:18 PM
Done right and clean, nothing is better. Go for it and Git Er Done.

DougGuy
11-10-2016, 05:23 PM
After hanging them for years and years both by the neck and by the hind quarters, here is what I do now.. Lay them flat on a table (or in my case my 48" gangbox from my construction jobsites).

Split the hide right down the back from the neck to the tail. Peel and pull the hide down the one side you have laying up all the way along the deer to it's knees.

I make one cut along the ridge of the backbone, get my fingers in there and take the backstrap off, then using the white stripes in the hindquarters I cut on those white lines which are the divides between muscle groups, work my fingers in there and divide it by muscle groups and cut all the meat off the hind leg bones, I cut the shoulder off, take whatever of the neck I want, turn the deer over and do the same to the other side.

If you want the two tiny really tender pieces behind the kidneys you can reach in and take these out with your fingers, they are so soft you don't even need a knife, just fingers.

That's IT!

I DON'T EVEN GUT THEM! :bigsmyl2:

I can have an entire deer in freezer bags, in the freezer, in 15 minutes.

Geezer in NH
11-10-2016, 07:00 PM
Boning knife, vacuum sealer and bags, Good meat grinder is all you need.

I agree bone saw leave yuk on the meat.

Been processing meat since I was a kid, pigs, steers , cows that are done plus deer, moose, antelope and no idea how much small game and birds.

Meat is meat keep everything clean and you will be fine.

richhodg66
11-10-2016, 07:47 PM
After hanging them for years and years both by the neck and by the hind quarters, here is what I do now.. Lay them flat on a table (or in my case my 48" gangbox from my construction jobsites).

Split the hide right down the back from the neck to the tail. Peel and pull the hide down the one side you have laying up all the way along the deer to it's knees.

I make one cut along the ridge of the backbone, get my fingers in there and take the backstrap off, then using the white stripes in the hindquarters I cut on those white lines which are the divides between muscle groups, work my fingers in there and divide it by muscle groups and cut all the meat off the hind leg bones, I cut the shoulder off, take whatever of the neck I want, turn the deer over and do the same to the other side.

If you want the two tiny really tender pieces behind the kidneys you can reach in and take these out with your fingers, they are so soft you don't even need a knife, just fingers.

That's IT!

I've heard of this method. I need to learn how to do it.

I butcher most of mine. I don't do anything fancy, mostly stew meat, ground (which I prefer pure, no fat added) and a few steaks. wrapped in good freezer wrap and freezer paper it lasts a very long time.

Yodogsandman
11-10-2016, 07:48 PM
Keep it simple. Skin it. Debone it. Cut muscles into steaks, anything too small for steaks is stew meat. Anything too small for stew meat is ground up into hamburger (if you have a grinder). If not, the little bits are made into sandwich meat. Think venison steak subs. Zip lock bags work(press out excess air). Mark the date and anything you want on the bags before freezing.

I have a vacuum sealer but, have never used it. Venison doesn't last long enough around here to worry about it.

FergusonTO35
11-10-2016, 09:54 PM
Excellent advice all. Hopefully I'll be putting it to use in 48 hours!

OnHoPr
11-10-2016, 09:58 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?211146-Venison-neck-roast

I do like a number do as mentioned. The sweat bread is taken out for a special occasion. The backstraps are sliced into chops, but if you want to make a big steak out of a portion the cut a couple about 4 or 5" long and pound down from end with meat mallet to about an inch thick or so. I usually make stew or freeze marinate portions of the front shoulder for stir fries. Separate the muscles in the hams for roast or boneless steaks. All decent end cuts and trimmings go to stew. The shanks and less decent end pieces and trimmings go into the the grinder. You can make fair bbq with the ribs cut up in a slow cooker for hours if you let it get cold every few hours and skim the fat from the top. Remove the bones as the meat falls of them and put your flavor of bbq sauce in and slow cook for a few more hours and see if it is to your liking. You may want to add a green pepper or onion.

pete501
11-10-2016, 10:25 PM
Don't forget the liver. As a kid I hated beef liver because of the after-taste. I used to give the liver away until I asked one of the recipients to cook some up for me. Needless to say, he doesn't get the liver any more.

Get the skin off with your fingers, slice it about 3/8 inch thick and fry up some sweet onions in bacon grease. Remove the onions from the pan when cooked .Add the liver to the hot pan, flip it when it begins to bleed out the top side. A few more minutes on the other side and serve topped with onions. It is best when fresh and not to over-cooked.

BigMagShooter
11-10-2016, 10:39 PM
when you butcher your deer, trim away ALL fat. The fat is what gives it that "gamey" taste most don't like.

MDC
11-10-2016, 11:22 PM
+1 for a food saver. Money well spent.

Backstraps are easy. I cut them about 8" long and put two per bag.
When ready to cook I set them out until room temperature lightly seasoned. Heat a cast iron skillet until very hot. Add about a tbsp of veg oil and cook about 4 1/2 minutes on each side, finish it off with some garlic herb butter and throw it beside a baked tater.

Treetop
11-10-2016, 11:39 PM
+1 for a food saver. Money well spent.

Backstraps are easy. I cut them about 8" long and put two per bag.
When ready to cook I set them out until room temperature lightly seasoned. Heat a cast iron skillet until very hot. Add about a tbsp of veg oil and cook about 4 1/2 minutes on each side, finish it off with some garlic herb butter and throw it beside a baked tater.

That picture makes my mouth water, MDC!

CITYREPO61
11-11-2016, 12:32 AM
I just completed doing my first butcher job recently.
I used 2 knives, a hacksaw, kitchen aid for grinding and sausage stuffing and a vacuum sealer.
The hacksaw was for the ribs.
Robs in the oven at 200 for a couple of hours yum!
As said make sure you remove all fat and silver skin.
By doing it myself I found I had a much higher quality of venison than when I would take it to be butchered. I left almost no silver skin or fat on the meat. Local processors just do it so quick that they.leave so.much of that stuff on it it kills the flavor.
Real happy with how n it turned out

TCLouis
11-11-2016, 12:52 AM
I quit using a saw some years ago.
Best I can suggest is go to youtube there are several videos including the one someone already mentioned. Over the years I have come to my method and it seems to work fine for me.
I do the backstraps, tenderloins and then trim most of the front quarters for ground, the hindquarters I try to get the sirloins and then muscle groups for steaks, small roasts.
For steaks be sure to cut across the "grain" of the meat.
Last year I started using (quite by accident I must say) a filet knife to remove silverskin and it was superb for that purpose, like skinning a fish!
I package cut pieces and grind as needed.
I wrap the meat in plastic film and then place in zip lock bags, not as good as a vacuum sealer, but close.

Oh I put up ONLY meat, NO bones in the mix. I lose some flavor that way but gain "peace of mind" and use a lot less space.

I always watch every video I can to see if I can do something different/better.

Its all meat!

dk17hmr
11-11-2016, 12:53 AM
I butchered 4 antelope, 2 elk, and a mule deer this year didn't use a saw once.....and haven't for the last 20 or so animals I have put in the freezer/pantry. Once you understand how an ungulate is constructed they are easy to take apart with a knife.

I use a 5" semi flex boning knife made by Victorinox for 90% and a large butchers knife for the rest, which is mostly cutting steaks from large muscles.

Traffer
11-11-2016, 01:23 AM
I completely disagree with this post. Venison is easy to bone so almost everyone does it. However, unless you are shooting swamp deer that feed on cedar or deer that eat bitter stuff, the bone(in my opinion)is just like any other animal contains a great deal of flavor. I think the difference between good tasting venison and great tasting venison (aside from the point of what they eat) is whether it has the bone in or not. The last processor I used here in Wisconsin used a band saw. And yes if they are a little frozen it cuts better. The vast majority of people cook their venison wrong also. People do all sorts of stuff to it to try and "mask" the wild game flavor. Again, I have had swamp bucks that were tough and wild tasting but most of the upland deer in WI are feed by crops that farmers raise. Alfalfa, clover, all sorts of yummy hay grasses. That meat is absolutely SUPERB! I broil the steaks medium rare and it is better than beef. (In my wife and my opinions). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mc6mauBo0Is

Absolutely, NEVER saw a deer bone, unless you want your meat to taste like ****.

Mica_Hiebert
11-11-2016, 01:51 AM
I tried a seal-a-meal food saver for a couple years and I had problems with mine. it would vacuum the blood out with the air causing the bags not to seal correctly and it made a mess out of the vacuum system.and the bags are expensive... your results may vary... I buy a box of cheap "bread bags" they call them. I put my meat in, press out all the air twist the top close to the meat then invert the bag so you pull the rest of the opening back over the whole package then twist it again and tape the top shut. then I wrap it in freezer paper. my meat last I know up to 2 years... I dont know how long it will actually last as its usually used up within a year.

Omega
11-11-2016, 02:20 AM
I tried a seal-a-meal food saver for a couple years and I had problems with mine. it would vacuum the blood out with the air causing the bags not to seal correctly and it made a mess out of the vacuum system.and the bags are expensive... your results may vary... I buy a box of cheap "bread bags" they call them. I put my meat in, press out all the air twist the top close to the meat then invert the bag so you pull the rest of the opening back over the whole package then twist it again and tape the top shut. then I wrap it in freezer paper. my meat last I know up to 2 years... I dont know how long it will actually last as its usually used up within a year.
I get that sometimes with my older machine but the rolls with crosshatch patterns work good and seal before the liquid gets to the seal portion. And if it does, the new sealer is hot enough to seal anyway. One thing you can do too is partially freeze the meat before you seal it.

toallmy
11-11-2016, 06:22 AM
I hang and skin them , let carcasses air out a day or two than process . But I have a walk in cooler .

randyrat
11-11-2016, 08:52 AM
After using the 4 wheeler/ car/ truck and a golf ball skinning method. I hang the deer by the rear legs and work my way down using only a knife. Hanging the carcass proper height makes it easier . I do cut the front shoulders off with only a knife and bone them on the table.. I never use a saw, Venison bone marrow YUK.
Keep things clean and check the internals/ liver to be sure the deer was healthy.

If your not used to cutting meat, get a meat cutting glove for one hand.
https://www.katom.com/094-PBS301L.html?utm_source=Bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=[ROI] Shopp

Chill the carcass to almost freezing makes thing easier

Watch for any old wounds/ Bow broad heads that will cut your fingers down to the bone.

44man
11-11-2016, 09:24 AM
I read somewhere if you use zip lock bags, slowly submerge in cold water up to the last corner before closing all the way. It removes all the air. Try my BBQ.
I use a whole shoulder or 4# of meat, clean all fat off and silver skin
1/2 bottle of chili sauce
1 med bottle of ketchup You can also use the Kicker ketchup
1/2 large jar of sweet relish
TBL sugar
TBL vinegar
1 cup each, chopped celery, onion, green pepper
1/2 bottle Kraft honey BBQ sauce mix all together in large bowl, pour over meat in roaster
oven at 400° for 1/2 hour, then 275° for 4 hours
flake meat and mix with sauce

MT Gianni
11-11-2016, 11:11 AM

That's IT!

In Montana this is referred to as the poachers cut and can get you arrested for wasting a game animal.
I hang, skin so the hide is usable for a tanner and remove the major cuts. I use a bone saw to split the spine of a large animal I got out whole. Deer and antelope I remove the front shoulders and cut them, loins and tenders, sever the spine leaving only the hinds hanging and trim out the front, then pick up both hind quarters and bring them in to cut. I bought a 1/4 sheet of 1/4" Oak plywood and that is my processing board. I lay it on top of a table and wash it with hot water when I am done. I prefer burger to venison sausage but often grind little or nothing. If you don't have access to a grinder make 1/2" cubes for stews or soups.
I don't eat fast food and see no reason to treat my future food so that it is not at maximum value. Take some time, make sure that you have the fat and silver skin off and your food will reflect that. For me I figure 2 to 2 1/2 hours from hanging to cleanup. 2 deer are done in 3 1/2 hours as you are doubling your cuts.

dk17hmr
11-11-2016, 11:19 AM
If you are using a vac sealer you can freeze your meat for 1/2- 1 hour or so before you package to help with the blood. Or you can roll up a paper towel and stick it in the bag to act like a gasket to keep the seal dry.

If your using zip lock bags you can do the water displacement method to get the air out of the bag....I do this method often when I cook Sous Vide style.

tdoyka
11-11-2016, 12:13 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhXKsQWMC8w

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5VfoTRox8s

FergusonTO35
11-11-2016, 12:45 PM
Wow, this thread just keeps on delivering. I actually like some gamey taste, it reminds me that this meal wasn't made in a factory! 24 hours to go...

ascast
11-11-2016, 01:09 PM
I have used a saw many times with no off taste, but that's on Upstate New York corn feed. I now de-bone with a knife, remove all fat, silver-skin if you can, electric grinder if you can, and a vacuum sealer. Grinder will take out a lot of the silver skin and tendon, they get clogged in the cutters. I take out the back straps and sirloin area for steaks and roasts-does and young bucks only. All else gets boned out and ground for chili or spaghetti or sausage. Liver chunks and ground heart, kidneys, neck, maybe tongue also tossed in. All bones, ribs etc get cut get up, and tossed in the soup stock pot. After a couple days cooking down, the fluid gets strained off and canned or frozen for soup stock. Toss whats left.
get some tuff plastic sheet to catch what you drop on the floor, etc.

44man
11-11-2016, 03:44 PM
I do this method often when I cook Sous Vide style.
You have to try this! I do it in a big foam cooler, Holds heat a long time and you just need to keep the water at 140°. Best with a sear after in butter.

dk17hmr
11-11-2016, 04:23 PM
I do this method often when I cook Sous Vide style.
You have to try this! I do it in a big foam cooler, Holds heat a long time and you just need to keep the water at 140°. Best with a sear after in butter.

Several different methods of Sous Vide cooking, the beer cooler method works well if you have the water capacity to maintain the desired temp. I have a precision cooker from Anova that allows you to set your temp to +/- .5°

For once we can agree on something, you will not find a better way to cook a thick cut steak or roast. Bring it to temp in the vac bag, get your cast iron or grill screaming hot, dry the surface of the meat and sear it hot and fast in butter or olive oil.

Hands down the best way to cook meat I have come across.

DougGuy
11-11-2016, 04:30 PM
In Montana this is referred to as the poachers cut and can get you arrested for wasting a game animal.

In Montana you have deer. Here in VA and NC we have German Shepherds with hooves.

The way I lay them and take the meat off, there is not much left of a small deer besides some of the neck which on a small animal is nothing but fascia and snot. You can't get the thin layers of red meat out of it. There isn't enough meat between the ribs to feed a coyote on our deer. There is nothing wasted the way I do it unless you suggest one should eat bones and guts. There is ZERO harvestable meat left behind.

turtlezx
11-11-2016, 04:38 PM
DOUG dont you skin aroung the neck and down the chest to pull the hide off ??
just the top of the back neck to tail seems like not enough

MT Gianni
11-11-2016, 11:54 PM
True Doug. we get 60 lbs from a small deer.

toallmy
11-12-2016, 07:10 AM
Right you are , about the small deer here on the east coast of Va , now don't get me wrong we have some nice deer to but I generally take 2-4 80 lb little ones . In my youth I did a lot of rack hunting , but now I generally hunt to control population . I go through 50-75 lb of boneless a year .

DougGuy
11-12-2016, 07:24 AM
DOUG dont you skin aroung the neck and down the chest to pull the hide off ??
just the top of the back neck to tail seems like not enough

I only split and pull the skin down low enough to harvest the meat. I DO saw the lower parts of the front legs off with a saw and generally keep the shoulder as one piece and debone it later. I split the hide on the hindquarter so I can pull it aside enough to get to all the meat. It goes so fast I hardly take notes, but I don't remember going around the neck and down the chest, I might have. The last one I put up like that I tagged it with my car going to work at 7am, tossed it in the back, took it home and dressed it out laying sideways and took the meat off, it was already in the freezer before it cooled off and I was back at work by morning break time at 9 so.. Might have went around the neck at the throat and just pulled the hide away from the neck.

Right you are , about the small deer here on the east coast of Va.

When I lived in Virginia, there was a story that made the rounds about a 10yr old black girl that shot a large doe with a shotgun on the Eastern Shore, she went to get her daddy and told him he needed to bring the tractor, daddy laughed and followed her to her kill, then went back and got the bush hog to bring the deer out of the field, it weighed 410lbs or some astronomical figure, and was the largest deer ever harvested in Virginia. Check it out. I can only find records for bucks not does.

44man
11-12-2016, 08:38 AM
Doug, my friend does that in the field and carries meat home in a big pack basket. He is fast too.
Back in Ohio I know of two huge bucks that dressed 420#. VA has some MI white tails too.

dk17hmr
11-12-2016, 10:55 AM
We call it the gutless method. We gutted one elk this year because it was shot in the desert and we were able to bring it out whole. Everything else got deboned and packed out. My back line cut goes from ears to tail. Front leg gets split from the knee to the arm pit and pulled through, back leg goes from knee to ponch and is pulled through. After it's skinned meat gets peeled off.

rondog
11-12-2016, 04:12 PM
I too got a bone saw, but have not use it because it is so easy to debone one instead. One piece of equipment that while expensive is worth the cost, and that is a good vacuum sealer (http://www.vacuumsealerland.com/foodsaver-v4880-review/). It makes venison last for years if you need it to without any freezer burn, the one in the link is great but I don't like that it needs so much material to activate the sealing process. I have learned to pull back a bit right after it triggers to seal the bottom so as not to use a lot of bag off the roll. I used to wrap in saran then freezer paper, which is great too, but the sealer is so much faster and easier. If you want to do any sausage, stuffed not patties, get a vertical sausage stuffer (https://www.amazon.com/LEM-Products-Stainless-Vertical-Sausage/dp/B000SQDTRC). A grinder CAN do it but it is not the easiest, and the other sausage stuffer (http://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/weston-brand-5-stainless-steel-sausage-stuffer-with-3-pc-funnel-kit?a=546358) don't bother, it is just not that good.

Get on Youtube and check out some of the videos here is one I like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhcF9D-z1JU

My god, is that a DOG he's butchering? I've never seen a deer that small.....

Sweetpea
11-13-2016, 12:27 AM
My god, is that a DOG he's butchering? I've never seen a deer that small.....

I have!

BUT

It was a fawn I ran over in the middle of July.

Yes, it was tender!

TCLouis
11-13-2016, 12:28 AM
I guess I don't butcher too fresh, even when temps rush me into processing, because I have never had issues with free flowing blood.

As Mt Gianni( I think it was him said) cool it off to firm it up. One I put up last year had meat that cold and I had to stop and warm my hands several times.

44man
11-13-2016, 09:05 AM
I agree, did it once and put the meat in the fridge because I had to go to work and it was hot outside. Meat that touched turned black. I did not have time to clean and wrap.
Since then I put ice bags in and hang at least overnight.

lrb605
11-13-2016, 09:43 AM
I ran across this book...Dressing & Cooking Wild Game ...The Complete Hunter. It has pictures on how to process just about anything. Patience, a sharp knife, and a good packaging system are essential. Lots of great ideas here.
That book has recipes as well...most are out of my league...keep it simple for me.
Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

44man
11-13-2016, 10:32 AM
Body heat must be gone and even rigor mortise should relax. Trouble is hot days and blow flies. I don't skin soon because of that. I do have a bag but hate to clean dry meat.
I don't hunt anymore when night does not cool. Sure can't afford a walk in cooler.
Long ago in archery season in PA I could take a deer to a cooler until we all got done hunting. Cost was a dollar a day.
I would love a cooler and a dry aging room.

FergusonTO35
11-15-2016, 12:12 PM
Well, rifle season has been in since saturday and no deer large enough to receive a dinner invitation have crossed my path yet. Seen lots of small does and spike/four pointer bucks. Well, there was one buck with a big body and small six point antlers but I don't want to spend my one and only buck tag on him just yet. Maybe towards the end of the season...

Silvercreek Farmer
11-15-2016, 09:48 PM
The small ones taste the best! I'll second Scott Rea's (the tattooed British guy) videos. They are really top notch, as he would say. Everything comes out looking very professional using his methods. That is a nice snack size muntjack deer he is butchering in the linked video, but he has several other videos as well that include bigger deer, plus pigs, fowl, beef, fish etc. For sharpening, I really like the Razor Sharp system. https://www.amazon.com/Razor-Sharp-Edgmaking-System-arbor/dp/B0002IXQD8 Any decent steel can be brought to a shaving edge in just a couple minutes. It might shorten the life of your knife a bit over hand sharpening, but it is totally worth it. I can usually get through a deer on one good edge, unless I hit bone by accident, but for larger jobs (hogs etc) I'll go ahead sharpen a handful of knives and just switch as needed.

Baja_Traveler
11-15-2016, 11:57 PM
I copied and printed out an excellent step-by-step post from an Archery forum years ago, had it laminated, and carry it with me on every hunting trip.

Here is a drop box link to it:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59256860/Gut%20it%20out%20and%20hang%20it.doc

firebyprolong
11-16-2016, 04:16 PM
Buy a steel, two good curved boneing knives( like dexters or victornox) and a stone and learn how to use all three. A sharp knife and a steel to keep it that way will make your life a lot easier. The other is to get that carcass to <40* as soon as possible.
I don't feild dress I get them home and in the air then skin before I gut because it's cleaner and a lot easier. After it's skinned and evicerated I make a cut starting at the point of the scapula down to the armpit around the point of the shoulder so that both front legs can be pulled away from the vest wall facitate cooling. As you pull them back you need to remove the lymph node that lies inside the triangle of fat at the point of the shoulder. Take the hose and remove as much blood as possible trim as much contamination as possible beforehand because all the water does is spread it around. at this point I normally take a propane torch lightly over the carcass to singe any stray hair then let him hang overnight to let rigor resolve (can take 24 to 36 hours). If it's above 45 out I'll let them hang if not into the cooler they go. I used a regular old fridge with tubs to hold the sub primals for years and it will work.
Don't buy into the old wives tales about hanging a deer for a certain amount of time. After rigor has resolved all you are doing is growing a culture. As soon as his BP went to zero that deer became food. Would you take a T- bone out of the fridge and hang it in the garage for a week? After that it's basically just cutting big dead stuff into bite sized dead stuff. Find a copy of a beef retail cut chart and follow the dotted lines. Just remember, your you can never be too clean. Everthing that touches that meat needs to be sterilized beforehand. Saws,knives,tables,grinder everything.

luvtn
11-19-2016, 06:26 PM
I trim as much fat as possible, as much silver skin as possible. As I cut off sections of meat I place in my large pot. When the pot is full I run it full of my well water, and start trimming and cutting to eating size, and sealing with the vacuum sealer. I firmly believe the soaking in the water helps cut down on gamey flavor, as none of my deer have it.
Luvtn

FergusonTO35
11-19-2016, 10:05 PM
Still haven't gotten to try it out yet. Took thursday off work and saw absolutely nothing. Went all day today and only saw a doe with her fawn. Going again tomorrow before church.

44man
11-20-2016, 09:39 AM
Water does not hurt. Wash the deer out good. Cold well water will help cool it.
There is a guy here that hangs deer for weeks outside, NOT GOOD! Dry aging meat is a very tight control. Very expensive too. Way beyond what we can do, we will get rot. The difference is enzymes V bacteria.
I have heard if you gut shoot and wash it out, spray with vinegar to kill nasties.

RP
11-20-2016, 10:55 AM
Man a lot of tips here I seen deer skinned and cut several ways and I am always looking for a way to improve the way I process mine, I am very lucky to have a hoist (small crane) I use to skin and hang the deer. I have found if i split the hide down the back and cut around the neck then pull the hide using the crane works well. Deer is hung by the head and hide is hooked to the deck then pulled out of hide. I hose it down to help cool the meat and tie off the legs so its not swinging around. I remove the meat from the front shoulders then the backstraps neck then raise it up for the hams. On the hams I follow the muscles keeping the meat in the large chunks. My first meat rest on about 4 inchs of ice as soon as its covered I add more ice keeping the meat from touching also I never put the plug in the cooler letting it drain at all times. Its too cold on ice to age but it drains the blood and cools it down fast. Over the years I have added to my gear which has a meat slicer cuber vac sealer grinder SS tables lots of other goodies. All my family and some other hunters bring their deer to my place to clean and store until we process them then they all show up to do the job. We did 6 deer this Friday started at 7ish and were done by 10. Steaks jerky sliced and hamburger bagged sealed and in the icebox. I picked up a water heater that had a small leak and have it out in my shop I turn on the morning were going to process and it looped into my water bib so I can roll everything out in the yard and hose it down with hot water and soap,
The best time saver for me is the hoist and the hot water. The best thing to make better steaks was the cuber my wife would not eat deer steaks until I got it now a fork will cut the steak.
All that being said several guys getting together and sharing the work makes it easier and its a good time to visit talk about hunting and pick on each other I had one of the best days I have had in awhile this Friday family and friends over cutting meat and cutting up even tossed some on the grill for a snack.
One other thing even the guys that have not taken a deer show up to help and everyone gets meat to carry home there will be a year the luck is on the deers side and someone else may be feeding you.

dverna
11-20-2016, 11:37 AM
Excellent thread.

I saved the drop box link posted by Baja Traveler. THANKS!!!

Don Verna

TXGunNut
11-20-2016, 09:13 PM
I like Cabela's vacuum sealer over the Food Saver, my sister has used both and the Cabela's commercial models are hard to beat. Should be on sale next weekend. I quarter and get them on ice in camp, almost never cold enough in S TX to let them hang. After they sit in ice water for a few days (to get the blood out) I'll butcher them in my kitchen. Most meat is cubed and placed in two pound vacuum sealed bags. Cubed meat can be used for stews or ground into sausage at a later date. MARK YOUR BAGS! I use a Sharpie.
+1 on the 3/4hp grinder, grinds meat as quick as I can toss it in there.
+1 on the <40 meat. Cuts better, grinds better.

45coltnut
11-23-2016, 06:48 PM
Lots of great advice already. But, I'll throw in my method for what it's worth. I just put up 100 lbs. of ground meat and about 40-50 lbs. of roasts and steaks. It's been a good season thus far.

My tools;

Knives - I keep at least three sharp knives ready
deer hoist
bone saw to only remove the legs
coolers

After the kill, I immediately filed dress the animal and even wash off the cavity if I've remembered to bring my water.
Once home, I hang the deer and skin it. For me, this is a crucial step. Skin it out as cleanly as possible and then wash the carcass with a water hose. Get all hair off the body and clean it up good!
From here, I quarter mine and leave it on ice for 3 days to drain.
I remove the back straps and tender loin. Goes directly into the cooler.
Remove the hams and put on ice. I layer with ice and then meat.
Remove the shoulders.
Remove the neck meat.

After three days, I prep my kitchen and debone each quarter.
For the hams, I always keep the tip roast and at least one other roast (chuck roast). Maybe a steak but most of the time I simply chunk the meat up for hamburger.
The front shoulders are all deboned, silver skin and ligaments removed and then chunked up just for hamburger.
Neck meat is also chunked for hamburger. But, could make a good roast as well.
The backstraps are always sliced for nice steaks. Sometimes I cut them thick and butterfly them.

From here, I buy some aluminum pans from the dollar store and place the meat in them. I also poke many holes in the bottom of the pans prior to filling with meat. This way, the blood will continue to drain. Then, back in the cooler with ice covering all the meat. As the ice melts, it will pull the blood from the meat and drain to the bottom of the cooler.

Now, going on day 5, I'll take all the chunked meat and grind it up. We add 33% beef (80/20) to the ground deer. Mix it up good and put into 1 lb. vacuum sealed bags. All the roasts and other meats are also vacuum sealed. Lasts great!

I hope this helps.

It can be allot of work. But, it's satisfying knowing where your food comes from. Happy hunting.

FergusonTO35
11-28-2016, 10:33 AM
Well, the deer went nocturnal early and I didn't get a darn thing during modern gun season. Most days I didn't even see any deer. I was able to spend alot of time in the field, which is certainly enjoyable. Muzzleloader comes up weekend after next so I'll try again.

Norske
11-29-2016, 12:57 PM
www.riflesandrecipes.com (http://www.riflesandrecipes.com) offers a book about game butchering and cooking by John Barsness and his wife (a gourmet wild game cook). Also look for a video referred to as "fileting a deer". The subject matter has been mentioned in this thread.

44man
11-30-2016, 09:09 AM
I have not seen any deer either. Now it is raining and going into the 60's.
My last deer I left at the barn and pulled the skin with my ATV, then spread freezer paper in the back and put all the meat in the back of the Polaris.
I am not going to skin by hand any more. I gave it to the lady where I hunt--took her 5 hours to trim and wrap at my table. I throw her packages in the freezer as soon as they are wrapped. I ground all her scraps. She is happy. She left with 2 huge bags of meat.
I left the bag of bones and scraps by the garbage can and something got into it. Leg bones all over the yard! :Fire:

FergusonTO35
12-19-2016, 09:25 AM
Looks like I'll have to wait 'til next year to try my butchering skills. The deer went nocturnal very early and didn't give me a chance. The few I did see were out of range or on others' property and acted very nervous.