PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on a new safe?

Electric88
11-10-2016, 09:26 AM
Hello all -

Wasn't totally sure where to post this, so it landed here. I'm looking at a new gun safe, and the Sports Afield SA5940 model from Costco caught my eye. It's a 40 gun safe, has 14 gauge steel walls and 9 - 1" steel bolts for locking with a fire rating of 1500 degrees for 30 minutes. Price on this bad boy is set to go to $600 at the end of the month. I don't need the best, but don't want garbage either. If anybody has any advice, opinions, reviews, etc I would love to hear them. Thanks!

UKShootist
11-10-2016, 09:35 AM
Oh my ears and whiskers!!! Oh to need a 40 gun safe. It's the stuff dreams are made of. (I live in England BTW.) I'm not doing too bad I suppose, but I'd only just over half fill it at present.

jmort
11-10-2016, 09:43 AM
Home "safes" are safes in name only. The goal is to slow people down. There have been a few threads on this topic.
http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/buyers-guide/best-gun-safe/
I went with Zanotti Armor as it can be broken down into pieces and relocated easily if you move, but it was an 8 month wait and cost a bundle.

Electric88
11-10-2016, 09:46 AM
Oh my ears and whiskers!!! Oh to need a 40 gun safe. It's the stuff dreams are made of. (I live in England BTW.) I'm not doing too bad I suppose, but I'd only just over half fill it at present.

I've heard the rule of thumb is to cut the number in half and that is how many you can stash in there. I planned on using it to store magazines, documents and other valuables, etc.

Yeah, I wasn't looking to spend a bundle necessarily. And I had heard before that they were more just deterrents, but I wanted something that wasn't a pile of **** lol

jmort
11-10-2016, 10:05 AM
http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-theft-protection/#myth-thicker-door-is-stronger

Half Dog
11-10-2016, 10:15 AM
I say go for it. I got one from Costco too but I wanted it to keep kids away from my toys. It works great for that and I enjoy hearing it open and close.

Electric88
11-10-2016, 10:22 AM
http://gunsafereviewsguy.com/articles/myths-about-gun-safe-theft-protection/#myth-thicker-door-is-stronger

From that article, I almost feel like it isn't even worth it to spend my money on a gun safe at all. Not one that I can afford anyways.

w5pv
11-10-2016, 10:23 AM
Get one with a carousel that will hold your most used guns

MUSTANG
11-10-2016, 10:38 AM
I would go with the Costco sourced safe. When I moved some of the guns from Moapa to Kalispell (got to have toys where your at without hauling them back and forth), I brought one safe and bought one from the Costco store. The Costco safes are of good quality and when on sale provide good value. Many of my rifles are MilSurp with longer barrels, which interferes with having a useable "Top Shelf". This can be an issue depending on your applications. I can store some ammo and odds & ends on that shelf as it is only about 4" tall. Been thinking of acquiring another Safe (probably from Costco or Sam's Club) for storing hand guns, scopes, etc...

Personally I would go for the Costco Safe.

jmort
11-10-2016, 10:58 AM
From that article, I almost feel like it isn't even worth it to spend my money on a gun safe at all. Not one that I can afford anyways.

Even a gun cabinet is better than nothing. I spent about half what a real safe would cost and a thief could easily cut through it. Mine is better than most home gun safes but in the end you just want to slow down the goblins and hope they take the low hanging fruit and run off without your guns.

Electric88
11-10-2016, 11:27 AM
True. I have a gun cabinet, but it is overcrowded now.

I know the other thing is to keep the safe in a relatively out-of-sight place, that that also helps prevent theft. Perhaps I'll pass on this, and keep saving while I determine the best location in the house.

ole 5 hole group
11-10-2016, 11:55 AM
Maybe one just needs to look at it "realistically", that is to say just what are your chances of having someone invade your home with a cutting torch or carbide saw?

If a burglary ring knows what you have and wants it - well, I guess they just might bring the necessary tools and with proper planning, they will probably get what they came for.

In most instances, they enter your home and look in "all the right places" for your valuables and if they run across your safe and have the time - they'll use your tools to mess up the dial etc but won't get into the safe - now if it's a very inexpensive safe, mainly to keep your 12yoa and under children from entering, then about anyone can get in with a crowbar or heavy screwdriver.

I have the American Security BF7240 which will keep out everyone, except the burglar who came prepared to punch a hole in the side. Fire rating will keep the inside safe temperature at 350 degrees or less for 90 minutes in a 1200 degree burn - I live in town with a full-time fire department, so my fire rating should hold.

I would think that Costco safe would work for your intended purposes - and yes, with scoped rifles etc - you will be lucky to get 50% of the rated firearms into your safe - 40 rifle capacity, think maybe 15.

mold maker
11-10-2016, 12:20 PM
Having to use a "safe" is just an inconvenience to both you and a would-be thief. A home defence gun in a safe is no better than the broom behind the door. If your intent is to keep young fingers from danger, anything with a locked door is sufficient. If you fear theft, a safe is only a time deterrent or inconvenience, that any determined thief will overcome it.
The fire ratings on "safes" are determined differently, and can't be compared apples to apples.
Electrical or digital locks fail, as do the old dial type. Both require maintenance beyond the scope of many of us.
The Costco mentioned is as good as most and will likely serve you for many years. I'm sure you will find other objects that need protection such as important papers and valuable jewellery.

deepwater
11-10-2016, 05:39 PM
Buy the biggest one you can afford and have space for. It was already mentioned that the factory spec. should be halved. A rifle in every slot will have the bolt handles hitting the adjoining stock, plus it is difficult to navigate selecting the one you are after. The carousel in the newer safes appears to solve some of the problems of removing a rifle from the safe, but may take up more room....round peg in a square hole, plus the bolt handles still will hit the adjoining stock.

JSnover
11-10-2016, 06:25 PM
"Maybe one just needs to look at it "realistically", that is to say just what are your chances of having someone invade your home with a cutting torch or carbide saw?"

That right there!^^

I bought two SnapSafe "Titan" safes (two due to the size and layout of the room I chose to keep them in). They aren't Fort Knox but my neighborhood is full of amateurs, if they decide to waste most of the day trying to break in with simple hand tools they'll only get half at most. They're more likely to give up and take a handful of more easily replaceable stuff.

Jim_P
11-10-2016, 08:54 PM
I bought one a year ago. I went with an AMSEC (American Security) over a Liberty because I thought from my research the Liberty's somewhat better ratings were not worth the money. I'm more worried about casual druggy types than professionals in this area, and fire. Fire being more of a a fear than burglars. I DID put a Liberty alarm inside it. Cheap, effective and simple.

I am very happy with the safe and the finish inside for the guns. I would buy one again. It's heavy and appears very well made. But it wasn't $600! I would make the suggestion if you buy a $600 safe, expect $600 worth of protection. With guns worth 3 to 4 times that, well, you know my choice.

YMMV

bdicki
11-10-2016, 10:00 PM
https://industrialladder.com/media/catalog/product/cache/4/small_image/385x350/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/2/0/2060_small.jpg

JSnover
11-10-2016, 10:11 PM
The job boxes pretty solid. I could see the padlocks being the weak point but if the boneheads don't have a drill you're probably ok.

dragon813gt
11-10-2016, 10:11 PM
14ga is a joke. And so are fire ratings. The job box posted above mine will give you more security at a lower cost.

Something is better than nothing at all. But if you want real protection the entry level is a Sturdy of Amsec. If you live in an urban area you may be able to find a used security safe and repurpose it for a lot less cost than a new one. If you want real protection look at TL-15 and TL-30 safes w/ UL fire ratings. Those are actual safes.

Ickisrulz
11-10-2016, 11:47 PM
I looked for something with the thickest steel I could find. I purchased a locally made safe with 1/4" steel all around that was delivered and installed for a reasonable price. I am sure someone who knows what they are doing can get into it if they have the tools. I am not too worried with two large inside dogs and a monitored alarm system. The sheriff deputies generally make it to our area in less than 10 minutes if an alarm goes off.

Mica_Hiebert
11-10-2016, 11:55 PM
Regardless of the youtube videos that have now educated every criminal with Internet access how exactly to get into people's gun safes. (Thanks jerks) I would say they are a good detergent to your average thief who doesn't carry a grinder with him, keeps your kids safe, and some times helps with insurance if they are stolen or burned in a fire. For what it's worth I've been eye balling that safe at costco and plan on buying one. They used to have a winchester brand the same size that was nice too but I like the door organizer on the brand they carry now. I just wish availability wasn't so hit and miss at my store... they usually order 1 or 2 and they go pretty quick. At 500 lbs I'm not sure where I would put it in my house... Def not something I'd want to move often.

dragon813gt
11-11-2016, 12:01 AM
If you needed a video to know how to pry or cut open a safe you are pretty dumb. A safe buys you time. Even the best ones can be broken into w/ enough time. If you're trying to prevent smash and grabs the cheap ones work. If you want real protection you have to pay. This is a case of you get what you pay for, w/ the right brand. Often times you pay to much for what you get.

Mica_Hiebert
11-11-2016, 12:15 AM
If you needed a video to know how to pry or cut open a safe you are pretty dumb. A safe buys you time. Even the best ones can be broken into w/ enough time. If you're trying to prevent smash and grabs the cheap ones work. If you want real protection you have to pay. This is a case of you get what you pay for, w/ the right brand. Often times you pay to much for what you get.

Most of your average thiefs are pretty dumb and oportunistic... and I work with 1000s of non mechanical people the simple **** they can't even think of acomplishing on their own makes me feel ashured there are plenty of thieves that didn't know how to get into a gun safe before those movies... most would smash and grab your t.v. laptop and money under the matresses and get out of your house asap.

country gent
11-11-2016, 11:46 PM
The truly enterprising thieves come prepared, not to open it in the house but to take it with them. make sure its bolted down securly and solidly. Fill any gaps with wood or channel iron so heavy pry bars cant be inserted to work it loose from its mounting. Rigidity and weight are a good thing. The true pros will take it with them and open it at thier liesure afterwards.

CLAYPOOL
11-12-2016, 01:44 AM
Mine is setting over a lamented beam in the basement. Guess what will happen if it is moved any........Only one side and the front exposed to my sisters house next door. Shes a noisy old biddy..

CLAYPOOL
11-12-2016, 01:45 AM
P.S. It weights 1550 empty.. Weeeeeeeeee...................

Beagle333
11-12-2016, 01:53 AM
Get a cheap safe and a really expensive security system. Around here, they take the whole safe anyway. Heavy or bolted down just means it takes more of em to rip out your floor/wall and take it.
Response time is 28 minutes (which I tested out just 3 weeks ago on an unrelated matter), so you need something to be loud and noisy and take LOTS of pictures.

My .02

retread
11-12-2016, 02:29 AM
While reading these posts I thought about my arrangement. Got my guns in a safe but all my casting, reloading gear, components, ammo etc. are sitting out in the open. Figuring the cost of that gear approaches what I have locked in the safe. Guess if you are going to be burgled there in no practical way to protect everything. Maybe investing in a very loud burglar alarm might be a good option.

UKShootist
11-12-2016, 05:02 AM
I think that many people do not understand about gunsafes. Their prime purpose is to keep the casual interloper away from your firearms. All this talk about angle grinders and the like are pointless. And if there are thieves that can carry a 40 gun cabinet that is even half full, my advice is to let them. If someone has determined they are going to steal your firearms then your firearms will be stolen. No fancy tools, just knock on your door and when you answer it, kick it in and fetch you one on the crust with a crowbar. Then they threaten your family unless you hand over the keys, job done.

And what of the would be home defender? Don't want your life preserver in a quick access cabinet? How do you organise your family during sleep periods, watch rotas? Although the kids might not be trusted to stay awake and you are so vulnerable when you're asleep. I could comment upon the idea of 45/70 for home defence which is fine if you want to blast a hole through the next three homes in case the burglar's mates are in those places too.

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure, so solid doors and windows with a viewing port is a good start. Paranoia will ruin your life and will rarely save it as it's irrational. Face facts, not fantasy.

wrench man
11-12-2016, 04:21 PM
I looked at the safes at Costco, I left them there and went and got a Liberty "fatboy Jr.", other than being to small I'm quite pleased with it.

Tackleberry41
11-12-2016, 06:02 PM
If people want in your safe, they are going to get in it. It was long ago, but went to a shooting spot with a friend. There was a safe laying in the weeds, the concrete still around the bolts thru the bottom of it. They could not get the door open, eneded up cutting a hole in the bottom and got what they could, dumped it in the woods. Dont remember the brand, but looked like a fairly substantial one.

The average home use safe will keep run of the mill thieves out. They rarely want to spend the time trying to get in. I know I have the tools in the garage to cut mine open. But not gonna get a safe to keep my tools in. A 40 gun safe is really 20 or less. That 40 gun rating is for 40 H&R single shots. Remove the bolts from bolt guns might work, but a scope and its 2 or 3 slots. Pistol grip 3 slots. Use any of the shelves and cut that number in half.

slim1836
11-12-2016, 07:40 PM
I'd still like to get an old Coke machine, gut it, and turn it into an incognito rifle safe. Leave it stock on the outside.
May not be fire proof, but most will not want to steal it.

Slim

Gofaaast
11-12-2016, 10:24 PM
I just purchased a 40 gun stack on at Sam's Club today. I have been wanting a safe for awhile, but just never pulled the trigger (always just bought another rifle or revolver). My wife had spotted this one in the store several weeks back, and I checked it out a couple weeks back. I thought $600 was a little high. She noticed this morning it was one of the 1 day only items and $500. I thought what the heck I better go take another look. Get in the store and they only have the display left. First two associates said they didn't think they could sell the display, but I stayed persistent and they finally called the supervisor out. Supervisor determined it was a one time item checked the inventory and said this would be the last one they get and that displays get sold at a 20% discount. I asked if the discount was applied to the sale price and surprisingly got a yes. $433 OTD made my day.

JSnover
11-12-2016, 10:32 PM
I'd still like to get an old Coke machine, gut it, and turn it into an incognito rifle safe. Leave it stock on the outside.
May not be fire proof, but most will not want to steal it.

Slim
A few years ago there was a thread about homemade "low profile" safes. One was an old refrigerator hogged out and reinforced With a simple hasp and padlock. Not all that hard to break into but the idea was not to make it look like a safe.

Electric88
11-14-2016, 10:08 AM
Regardless of the youtube videos that have now educated every criminal with Internet access how exactly to get into people's gun safes. (Thanks jerks) I would say they are a good detergent to your average thief who doesn't carry a grinder with him, keeps your kids safe, and some times helps with insurance if they are stolen or burned in a fire. For what it's worth I've been eye balling that safe at costco and plan on buying one. They used to have a winchester brand the same size that was nice too but I like the door organizer on the brand they carry now. I just wish availability wasn't so hit and miss at my store... they usually order 1 or 2 and they go pretty quick. At 500 lbs I'm not sure where I would put it in my house... Def not something I'd want to move often.

You were eyeballing the same safe? That is encouraging. Perhaps I shall go for it. I don't really count on it for serious theft deterrent, moreso just for storage and safety from the average thief. It will be somewhat hidden as well.

GrayTech
11-14-2016, 01:07 PM
What is the law in US regarding non lethal man traps. In SA they used to use a 24 hour knock out gas integrated into alarm systems and safes. It's quite funny to arrive on scene and find the perps having a little nap. Even funnier to watch them wake up behind bars dazed and confuses.

slim1836
11-14-2016, 05:27 PM
What is the law in US regarding non lethal man traps. In SA they used to use a 24 hour knock out gas integrated into alarm systems and safes. It's quite funny to arrive on scene and find the perps having a little nap. Even funnier to watch them wake up behind bars dazed and confuses.

They used to put knockout gas between studs walls of banks in the good old USA also, a friend of mine used to do this. He also installed some in his shop. Never heard of anyone try to break in his place.

Slim

Ickisrulz
11-14-2016, 07:20 PM

This really sounds suspect. It was probably in a movie or urban legand. What gas works to render people unconsciousness without killing some of them? For 24 hours?

Anesthesiologists go to school for years in order to learn not to kill patients when they are anesthetized. In other words, it's very easy to do real damage when using a chemical to "knock" people out.

Pepper spray will clear people out of an area pretty fast (e.g., Burglar bombs). This is what I'd use of I did not have an alarm system.

bdicki
11-14-2016, 08:53 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis

Ickisrulz
11-14-2016, 10:36 PM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_theater_hostage_crisis

I'm not sure what point you want to make.

In this lone example of knock out gas use, 120+ hostages were accidentally killed and hundreds of others were permanently impaired. This is not something a bank would ever add to their security toolbox as it is not safe, predictable or cost effective.

Just for the record, you cannot hit people over the head to knock them out either without almost killing them. This is another movie thing.

MarkP
11-14-2016, 10:45 PM
I looked for something with the thickest steel I could find. I purchased a locally made safe with 1/4" steel all around that was delivered and installed for a reasonable price. I am sure someone who knows what they are doing can get into it if they have the tools. I am not too worried with two large inside dogs and a monitored alarm system. The sheriff deputies generally make it to our area in less than 10 minutes if an alarm goes off.
If your safe an AMOUR VAULT / Southwest Engineering?

Ickisrulz
11-14-2016, 11:13 PM
If your safe an AMOUR VAULT / Southwest Engineering?

http://armorvault.com/

MarkP
11-15-2016, 10:24 PM
http://armorvault.com/

I bought one in 1994 after seeing them at the Tulsa Gun Show,

Ickisrulz
11-16-2016, 12:56 PM
I bought one in 1994 after seeing them at the Tulsa Gun Show,

I am happy with mine. I consider it a good value from what I have seen in stores.

LIMPINGJ
11-16-2016, 09:54 PM
Check with Bear Safes also in OKC.

peterkenwitty
04-14-2017, 04:27 AM
The best gun safe is a storage space specifically meant for firearms used in homes and businesses to defend against intruders or burglars. However, with the overwhelming number of safes available in the market, these days purchasing one may prove to be a difficult decision. https://thegunsafes.net/best-gun-safe-reviews/

rondog
04-14-2017, 05:41 AM
The best gun safe is a storage space specifically meant for firearms used in homes and businesses to defend against intruders or burglars. However, with the overwhelming number of safes available in the market, these days purchasing one may prove to be a difficult decision. https://thegunsafes.net/best-gun-safe-reviews/

That link is a joke. Not actual reviews, more like ads for products they're selling.

dragon813gt
04-14-2017, 09:51 AM
That link is a joke. Not actual reviews, more like ads for products they're selling.

Agree, there is no way a StackOn product would be included in a "best of" article. Their products have their place but they are bottom of the barrel. Same thing for Winchester safes.

10-x
04-14-2017, 05:32 PM
Use " Burglar Bombs" in the room and inside the safe. Any crook going to hang around for the gas to clear?

dragon813gt
04-14-2017, 06:33 PM
Use " Burglar Bombs" in the room and inside the safe. Any crook going to hang around for the gas to clear?

Sure fire way to end up in prison.

Ickisrulz
04-17-2017, 05:58 PM
Sure fire way to end up in prison.

Burglar Bombs are devices that discharge pepper spray making anyone in the area want to leave immediately. I accidentally set one off in an outbuilding. It will keep you away for 20 minutes or so.

https://www.burglarbomb.com/

2ndAmendmentNut
04-17-2017, 06:05 PM
American Security (Amsec) BF or RF line of safes is the way to go if you are serious about slowing down the bad guys. The BF line are very high quality RSC (residential security containers) which almost qualify as a B-rated safe. The RF line is a true safe with a TL-30 rating.

The steel in the BF and RF Amsec safes are measured in inches not gauges and their fire ratings are incredible. The safe my father bought would now be considered a BF HD and I believe it has a 1/2" plate of steel on the door and two 1/8" steel inner and outer walls for a total of a 1/4" of steel.

In the end it really depends on the value of your collection and how hard it would be to replace. A friend once told me that the money spent on the safe should reflect about 10% of the value of the contents.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jmort
04-17-2017, 07:11 PM
^^^
If you have the $$$ makes sense
I went with Zanotti Armor
Not a real safe, but a decent home secuity unit

saifii
05-03-2017, 05:56 AM
https://thegunsafe.review/

10-x
05-03-2017, 08:43 AM
Never heard of anyone using burglar bomb getting in trouble, post the sign provided. Does not kill or maim.OTOH a gator in the room would do the trick, plenty around here,LOL.

Electric88
05-03-2017, 09:05 AM
Never heard of anyone using burglar bomb getting in trouble, post the sign provided. Does not kill or maim.OTOH a gator in the room would do the trick, plenty around here,LOL.

Send me one, I'll pay for shipping and hardship :D I always wanted a gator

Smk SHoe
05-17-2017, 03:21 PM
While reading these posts I thought about my arrangement. Got my guns in a safe but all my casting, reloading gear, components, ammo etc. are sitting out in the open. Figuring the cost of that gear approaches what I have locked in the safe. Guess if you are going to be burgled there in no practical way to protect everything. Maybe investing in a very loud burglar alarm might be a good option.
Making me rethink things, now. I'm the same way, huge gun safe in the corner ( it's empty gun thief's), and thousands of $ of reloading gear and components neatly stacked in same room. My father had a small wall safe in his workshop that he kept a few rolls of coins and some bills in that you would see as soon as you entered the shop. Could break into it with a screwdriver ( hanging on wall a few feet away with the other tools), but had a really good wall safe that the important stuff went into that was well secure, well secured to shop wall, and well concealed from prying eyes. Figured someone breaking in would take the low hanging fruit and run.

Smk SHoe
05-17-2017, 03:25 PM
Was also thinking, Does any one have a trail cam set up either facing the reloading room or one hidden inside. Would be nice to have a snapshot of the rat bast@rd trying to steal your stuff.

dragon813gt
05-17-2017, 03:48 PM
Was also thinking, Does any one have a trail cam set up either facing the reloading room or one hidden inside. Would be nice to have a snapshot of the rat bast@rd trying to steal your stuff.

Yes, I have one. It's how I caught a family member taking money out of my safe. Since then I no longer leave my keys out when I'm away. The family member had to go into my filing cabinet to get the combination first. Good news is that the family member is getting help, and I'm no longer losing money or lead.

shdwlkr
05-20-2017, 04:28 PM
Here's the answer to many questions about the safes most of would get. Even if you spend say $4000 for a safe you really only have a fire safe maybe and one that will keep the kids out of your stuff. If you want a "real safe" they are in the $15,000 dollar range up and it takes a few men to move it into your garage or where you might want it. Nope it will not stay on the average floor of a house with a cellar. Yes they are way heavy think around 2 ton empty up. Some day if I get more money than I know what to do with I will get in touch with my locksmith and get one until then I get what I can afford to keep my papers in that I might need some day.

Finster101
05-20-2017, 04:36 PM

I have two Maligators and they work quite well at keeping folks away from my Rhino safe which I have been very happy with.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/43/0f/66/430f66038329795498f7a0cdeac2326f.jpg (https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=imgres&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiQ5feAqf_TAhWC6iYKHQmeDx4QjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Festhervanstr ien%2Fmalinois%2F&psig=AFQjCNF_Y4qD9_t2hKUIGuFtSH_SEwic5Q&ust=1495398861477652)

Jack Stanley
06-05-2017, 05:20 PM
I've been very happy with a Browning Pro-steel for many years now .

Nice photo of the dog by the way !

Jack

arclight
06-10-2017, 03:37 AM
Mine is setting over a lamented beam in the basement. Guess what will happen if it is moved any........Only one side and the front exposed to my sisters house next door. Shes a noisy old biddy..

This was an old trick used in rural post offices back in the day. They would set the safe on a concrete pillar coming up from the cellar. If someone roped it up to a vehicle or team of horses, it would end up in the basement. Often with the thief.

arclight
06-10-2017, 03:43 AM
Here's the answer to many questions about the safes most of would get. Even if you spend say $4000 for a safe you really only have a fire safe maybe and one that will keep the kids out of your stuff. If you want a "real safe" they are in the $15,000 dollar range up and it takes a few men to move it into your garage or where you might want it. Nope it will not stay on the average floor of a house with a cellar. Yes they are way heavy think around 2 ton empty up. Some day if I get more money than I know what to do with I will get in touch with my locksmith and get one until then I get what I can afford to keep my papers in that I might need some day.

If you have a serious collection of antique stuff (or you're into NFA items), then you might want to go visit your local locksmith shops and leave them your number. Tell them you're looking for a used B-rate or similar commercial safe, and you're willing to pay for them to move and service it. You might even get a "You haul it away" offer. In any case, you can get very good protection for a lot less than a new TL safe, especially if you don't mind it having an outdated insurance rating.

wildphilhickup
06-12-2017, 09:54 AM
I buy "used" good quality safes. Much cheaper than new. I install a CO2 system inside of my safes. IF there was a fire in the home, as soon as the internal temperature of the safe reaches 190F, the system discharges. The temperature inside of the safe will go down to less than 40F almost immediately. Now the fire rating time interval is "Re-Started". So if it was 45 minutes, it just became something greater than 45 minutes at the time of the CO2 discharge. And there is enough of a discharge from inside the safe to the outside to actually dampen any fire that may be in close proximity.

William Yanda
06-12-2017, 10:06 AM

Condolences on the beam.

beemer
06-19-2017, 12:14 AM
A good many years ago I worked with a guy that had been up twice for B&E, he said the second time cured him. He said that they backed up to a rear basement door with a box truck, used a chainsaw to cut a hole in the door. Then he ran upstairs and walked around the safe with the saw and dropped it in the basement, loaded it and gone. It didn't take much over 5 minutes. Everything was cased out planned and timed. He also stated that he couldn't steal what he couldn't find and he didn't take much time to look.

The last time I saw him he had started a moving company, not sure how that worked out. I guess he just couldn't stop hauling stuff out of peoples houses.

Bama
10-31-2017, 12:03 AM
My son was involved with border patrol just pass the big bend area. they had a number of outlying stations which were small contractor drag up offices. There were no roads in so some were brought in by helicopter. Browning safes were used to store a few long guns and ammo and emergency food Cameras were installed as result of break ins. From the time the main door was kicked in. in 3 minutes ans 3o seconds the first rifle was being removed from the safe. A fire Ax was used to cut an L shaped through the side of safe. They change safes to one fabbed in 3/8"Plate with weld on locks, made at local Machine shop. It was actually cheaper than the Browning safes that were being broken into.

protectingamerica
12-06-2017, 06:38 AM
1.)The mounting panel is not shaky or thin.so that it can hold the screw in jerks and vibration while you are driving or other reason.Also, see that there are no parts on the other side of the panel which could be harmed while drilling.

2.)Make the exact measurement of the hole position of the safe ie distance length and breadth wise.bring exact size screw.Or show the case to shopkeeper while asking for screws.Test different size screw and use which fits the best.

3.) Mark hole position onto a panel with a marker.

4.)Create holes on the panel with a driller.Now place the case on the panel and fasten the screws.

5.) You can store your gun safely (https://gunsafeguide.net/best-gun-safe-reviews/) in a vault.

McFred
12-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Check craigslist: :D

https://lascruces.craigslist.org/bfs/d/diebold-rotary-wedge-lock/6384207725.html

https://s2.postimg.org/tzh9cjhyx/00404_8_Vfe_H05w_Ut_1200x900.jpg

Deibold Rotary Wedge-Lock vault door Class III is a current model offered by Manufacturer. It is the top of the line having many advance features. This massive door is built with specialized materials to withstand impact tools and impede sawing or drilling and has a unique rotary wedge that spans the full height of the door. See Diebold website for full description under rotary wedge-lock vault door. This door is the 36" wide entry.

DESCRIPTION:
This estimated 17 year old class 3 constructed bank vault system was carefully de-constructed and now is available for a new purpose. The electronic system is not all there. Buyer would have to secure Diebold services to re-establish class 3 security certification at their expense if required...

LOCAL PICK-UP:
Building and door have been dismantled. Building has 30 section about 4,000 pounds each average weight. Door and sash weight about 8,000 pounds.... Seller has local equipment available to load onto flatbed trailer. Weight is estimated 100,000 to 120,000 pounds.

A steal at $19k... some additional shipping...

CLAYPOOL
12-06-2017, 10:02 PM
That piece of 2 3/8 "WELL TUBING" is still standing there. Got it standing on a SOLID 8 inch concrete block on concrete floor. Hand dug basement made under house in the early 50 ts. Another laminated beam holding up the floor under safe. Word has got around. "GRAB AND RUNS standing in every corner of the house. Just something for the kids to learn a trade..!

john.k
12-07-2017, 01:51 AM
I made my own safe from welded plate,took a crane to get it in.My brother got a big Chubb bank safe the size of a 2 door fridge for the cost of removal,about $2000 in those days.Weighs 9 ton,but its so airtight that causes problems with mould. A very resistant safe would be made from thick 1100 alloy and steel plate.The ally grabs abrasive wheels and breaks them.Another good material is solid wood between steel plates,cutting attempts make lots of smoke that blinds and chokes the thieves.

AllanD
12-10-2017, 05:33 PM
I miss my garage in NJ, I was forced by economic pressure to sell and move in '95 and had to leave my safe behind, it was a safe I bought used from a jewelry store, it was a big fireproof job with double doors, it was big enough to place two of the Big Browning safes in it side-by-side with a stack of 50cal ammo cans placed crosswise between them Crosswise than sit in a folding chair in front of them and read a newspaper with the doors closed because it was five feet deep. I had a hell of a time moving it in and no hope of moving it out so it got left behind to become the new owners problem.

I originally got a deal on it because I was willing to move it from where it was, plus I had a friend with a dump truck. MY girlfriend has "suggested" we need a Safe (for my guns and Hers) and my only answer was that "I thought that was a wonderful idea!".

Not looking for anything super big or super massive, but something better than the Stack On Garbage which are Mostly designed to keep your kids friends from playing with your firearms or "casual thieves" from grabbing them instead of your TV or Laptop...

john.k
12-11-2017, 01:10 AM
The local thieves have solved the safe problem,they make the owner open it.........The cops say the thieves might be minorities,so they have be careful not to profile them,which makes id difficult.

Ashleyt
12-26-2017, 02:00 AM
A weapon safe is a protected and cautious amassing holder for no less than one firearms, and, or ammunition for those guns. Gun safes (https://gunsafescentral.com/) are fundamentally used to turn away access to unapproved or unfit individuals, for robbery protection, and, in more fit safes, to shield the substance from hurt in the midst of a surge, shoot, or calamitous occasion.

Murphy
12-26-2017, 11:52 AM
Safes:

Buy one double the size you 'think' will do just fine. Don't ask how I know.

Murphy

Geezer in NH
12-29-2017, 08:52 PM
Safes keep out the idiots. Pros get in them same as banks. Secure it so it does not move and have a security system is best you can do.

jeffmoore
06-24-2018, 05:31 AM
You can go for it, it’s a good one, or you can visit different sites that investigate about the functionalities of a safe gun (http://stuffoholics.com/best-gun-safe-reviews/). Those reviews might help you too. Wish you good luck.

oldshot40
09-09-2018, 03:32 PM
Realistically speaking, gun safes won't prevent theft, only slow thieves down. Many gun safes on the market can be easily broken into by watching a youtube channel , especially these biometric and electronic safes. I have both a small handgun safe for easy access and also a hidden gun cabinet.

They are good for preventing unauthorized family members from getting their hands on the guns like children or relatives.

Here's how I see it. If a theft were to happen, the hidden gun cabinet most likely won't be noticed.

More info on gun safes (https://combated.com/best-gun-safe-reviews/) if anyone needs it.

rrob692326
09-16-2018, 05:53 AM
Get a TL 15 and place it bolted down in concrete in a small room that have thick walls close to the outer dimensions of the safe with deadbolt solid door, so thieves cannot use pry bars, and pulling it out with a tow truck is impossible. 14 gauge is laughable, as a can opener or even a small jigsaw will open that up. if possible build a steel lined rebar solid concrete room and install a TL 30 expanding gasket vault door and line the interior with good quality drywall and an alarm with a couple of German Shepards and insurance. Consider the cost of replacing all your stuff and the sentinmental ones vs the one time cost of of doing it right. With the later you will sleep well at night or when traveling.

PB234
09-16-2018, 08:21 AM
I have recent experience with an inexpensive "safe" (maybe $800 back when I bought it 15 years ago). The locked door jammed as the connections to the make the bolts move failed. Took a professional safe cracker about 40 seconds to pry it open with a pry bar. Probably could have done it quicker if I had not been standing there talking to him. A good dog or two and a centrally monitored alarm system will provide the start of protection. The fellow who reported that thieves have figured out just to make the owner of the safe open it presents another problem to solve. Have owner open safe, extract firearms, insert owner...

shootfirearm
09-14-2020, 02:31 AM
I love the nightstand gun safe more because they are more safe and easy to access anytime.
https://shootfirearm.com/best-nightstand-gun-safes/

Pinger87
10-07-2020, 02:50 AM
Depending if I'm just storing a single handgun, my favorite solution is something like a Fort Knox simplex that's been cabled.

RugerFan
10-07-2020, 04:29 PM
I buy "used" good quality safes. Much cheaper than new. I install a CO2 system inside of my safes. IF there was a fire in the home, as soon as the internal temperature of the safe reaches 190F, the system discharges. The temperature inside of the safe will go down to less than 40F almost immediately. Now the fire rating time interval is "Re-Started". So if it was 45 minutes, it just became something greater than 45 minutes at the time of the CO2 discharge. And there is enough of a discharge from inside the safe to the outside to actually dampen any fire that may be in close proximity.

Could you expound on this CO2 system?

dverna
10-07-2020, 04:43 PM
Safes are a PITA and provide a false sense of security. Get good insurance, and something like ADT. I have two safes and I am considering getting rid of them. I already have ADT and decent insurance. My most expensive guns are a K-80Trap Special and a K-80 combo. When I was using them two or three times a week they never made it to the safe anyway. Taking them out of their fitted cases, sticking them in an overcrowded safe then a couple of days later opening the safe and putting them back into their cases gets old.

dragon813gt
10-07-2020, 09:20 PM
Safes are a PITA and provide a false sense of security.
Are we talking safes or residential security containers? Because one fits your description and the other doesn’t. Safes provide actual security in the form of time. Any safe can be defeated w/ enough time so buy security that’s comparable to what you’re trying to protect. I didn’t go through this older thread to see if I mentioned TL rated safes. This is the level where actual security starts.