PDA

View Full Version : Opinions of the FN AR 308

454gene
11-09-2016, 09:31 PM
Has anyone owned or shot a FN AR 308? I am looking for 308 semi auto and this rifle has some good characteristics good trigger and accuracy from what I've read. Down side is magazines are around 60.00 . Anyone have opinions they would like to offer?

Butchman205
11-09-2016, 10:14 PM
Yep.
I've got (and love) a heavy barrel 20" FNAR.
Mine has the fluted barrel, target crown, two stage trigger, and shoots right at 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Without a flash hider/muzzle break...they make a pretty big fire ball.

The magazines are expensive. But I've been able to find several 20's, 10's, and 5 round mags for about $35-$45 each...but you've gotta look high & low, far & wide to find them at that price.

Over the years I've heard of several AR-10's that'd print 1/2", and only seen one that truly will.

I've shot several sub-1/2" groups, but 1/2" is the average.

If you don't handload, they love the Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr, Sierra Match Kings. The FNAR is GUARANTEED to shoot sub-MOA with these.

-Butchman

Texas by God
11-14-2016, 12:31 AM
Forgive my ignorance- does FN make an AR10 clone or is this the modified BAR sporting rifle? I handled one of those a few years back and liked the idea but had concerns about field stripping. School me please. Best, Thomas.

Butchman205
11-14-2016, 01:23 AM
Forgive my ignorance- does FN make an AR10 clone or is this the modified BAR sporting rifle? I handled one of those a few years back and liked the idea but had concerns about field stripping. School me please. Best, Thomas.

It's a BAR on steroids. Great rifle in my opinion. And yes...it's not a quick easy "figure it out as you go" rifle to clean. Several posts about folks breaking things, and cleaning should be done after a tad of research.

-Butchman

Texas by God
11-15-2016, 01:56 PM
I like the BAR. I shot a friends in 7mm RM that thought it was a bolt action- very accurate. More weight than I want to carry though. Best, Thomas.

454gene
11-26-2016, 08:05 AM
Well I bought the rifle, it's the 16" fluted barrel model. It came with a new Redfield 3x9 scope and bipod and doesn't appear to have been shot much. Before I shoot it I want to clean the barrel what is the preferred method? I can't clean it like my AR an I don't want to damage the crown shoving the brush and jag in. Using the crown protector things and a long rod seems awkward.

Texas by God
11-28-2016, 12:39 AM
A bore snake should work just fine. Leave that scope on 3X for ready use. I'm quite envious of you. Best, Thomas.