PDA

View Full Version : RIP: Mike Dillon of Dillon Precision

Kevin Rohrer
11-09-2016, 09:30 PM
It is with heavy hearts that we announce the passing of Mike Dillon. Mike left us on the morning of November 7th, 2016. He leaves behind a large family including wife Carol, sons Stephen and Christopher, daughter Stephanie, and 9 grandchildren. Mike’s legacy has touched the lives of countless people worldwide. He revolutionized the ammunition reloading industry and made it what it is today. Mike also redesigned and manufactured the M134 Minigun that is now in service in the United States and foreign military forces. As a passionate aviator, he worked for TWA as a 2nd officer for 13 years and later made a name for himself as a writer for Air Progress Magazine. He is recognized by some as being the one who started the warbird restoration movement in the 1960’s.
Mike's dedication to his family, his customers, and this country was exemplary. We hope to continue the legacy that Mike Dillon worked so hard to build and we will never forget the impact that he has had on us all. We take comfort knowing he is flying in the blue skies of heaven above.

https://www.dillonprecision.com/rememberingmikedillon.html

XDROB
11-09-2016, 09:34 PM
So sad to see someone of this caliber leave us. PRAYERS for the family!!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Kevin Rohrer
11-09-2016, 09:45 PM
I have owned and used a 550 for >20-years and realize how it revolutionized home reloading. His presses were to my knowledge, based on the Star reloader, but made less expensive so as many shooters as possible could take advantage of reloading.

I never met him but once talked with Mike at length by telephone. I took exception to an article written by Barrett Tillman on the use of SWAT teams at a time when I was my department's SWAT Team Leader, and responded to the article by mail. Coincidentally, I had just purchased a 650 and was sitting at home, watching the VHS tape on how to set it up. The phone rang and the caller identified himself as Mike Dillon. Considering what I was doing at the time, I thought it was a practical joke, and it took awhile for him to convince me he was whom I had just been watching on the tape. Once I was convinced he actually was Mike Dillon, we had a conversation about the use of police at different levels of government. We actually began arguing about federal LE agencies enforcing their laws on the local population until I realized we were both saying the same thing in different ways. The conversation lasted 45-minutes. I found him to be gracious and we spoke as equals.

His leadership in the firearms and reloading world will be missed.

seagiant
11-09-2016, 10:16 PM
Hi,
Yes in the early days, if you called in about a problem with a Dillon loader, you just might of talked to Mike Dillon!

I think he got started making conversion kits to enable a STAR Progressive to load .223/5.56 Rifle ammo!

The only loader I have seen that he made, that reminded me of a STAR, was the Dillon RL-1000!

The first real loader he made was the RL-300, which I am familiar with and love to use!:mrgreen:

Skunk1
11-09-2016, 10:30 PM
Great products, he'll be missed.

Mike Kerr
11-09-2016, 10:45 PM
He definitely was a leader in the Reloading industry and a mainstay in the move to progressive reloading. He will be missed but he left a fine legacy which we can be reminded of every time we see our Dillon blue machines. May he rest in peace.

Prayers for his family.

woodbutcher
11-09-2016, 11:31 PM
:( A great innovator.He will be missed.
Leo

Pressman
11-10-2016, 08:44 AM
Going way back in reloading tools he was also connected to the design of the Forster Automatic Turret press, a very heavy iron monster that was a commercial flop for Forster and never seen today.
It was just too much iron to try to ship by mail at the time, nothing wrong with the design.

Ken

fivegunner
11-10-2016, 09:13 AM
God Speed Mike.

Dale53
11-10-2016, 10:24 AM
R.I.P., Mike! Your legacy will live on! Every time I enter my reloading area, BLUE will remind me of this great, innovative, gentleman, that "invented" the "No B.S. Warranty" and didn't just talk about it but DID it!

He WILL be missed!

We are diminished!

Dale53

ragsflh
11-15-2016, 08:46 AM
rip mike

LAH
11-16-2016, 12:14 PM
Loaded a few 45 ACP rounds once on an RL1000.......this guy made first rate stuff.

jrdztech
11-16-2016, 01:01 PM
RIP. May the Lord give his family comfort and consolation...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

shoot-n-lead
11-16-2016, 01:55 PM
I have been addicted to BLUE presses for a long time.

Now, if I could just get that Minigun.:-D

EDG
11-16-2016, 07:41 PM
Don't be surprised if new management screws up Dillon.

shoot-n-lead
11-16-2016, 08:15 PM
Don't be surprised if new management screws up Dillon.

Well, the patriarch made a fortune...there is no need for Dillon to continue to be a success.

Kevin Rohrer
11-18-2016, 08:24 AM
I would hope his kids take over and continue forward. If not, there are plenty of Stars out there.

seagiant
11-18-2016, 12:50 PM
I would hope his kids take over and continue forward. If not, there are plenty of Stars out there.

Hi,
I wish there was more RL-1000's out there, but....

Like the RL-300, I think the profit margin was to "thin" and cuts in materials had to be made? (castings, instead of solid metal)

quasi
11-28-2016, 12:10 AM
I hope Remington does not buy them up and trash the company like they have with others. If they do the first thing to go will be the Lifetime warranty. Hey, maybe Lee will buy them.:kidding:

JMax
11-28-2016, 07:41 PM
I started on an RL1000, bought two RL300's, both adopted out and both are still in use (Seagiant has one), bought 2 RL550 to replace them and use numerous Dillon products. I talked to Mike when one of my 300's was giving me trouble. A giant that will be missed.

Lloyd Smale
11-29-2016, 07:17 AM
the Henry Ford of reloading! RIP

dogmower
12-01-2016, 01:04 PM
FWIW, I don't think Mike has been very involved in the day-to-day operations of the company for a while, so perhaps there won't be much of change in how the company does business.
either way, goodbye to a great man and a true innovator, we are poorer for your absence.