PDA

View Full Version : Am I missing something obvious?

blikseme300
11-09-2016, 05:09 PM
I have done much searching but have come across very few mentions regarding comb raising to assist with good cheek-weld when scopes are mounted on Marlin's. I found that when I added 3/4" of closed cell foam duct taped to the comb to get a better cheek-weld that my accuracy improved substantially. This looks and is hoakey but works for me. Scopes are mounted as low down as possible but my cheek "floats" above the wood to get a good sight picture. My eyes are not what they were so scopes are a must.

I have seen all kinds of synthetic and leather accessories for other rifles but have not come across these for Marlin's. I am quite proficient at leather carving and stitching and will make a unit tomorrow to try out. (We got rained out on the farm so have some idle time for this.) Anybody else have this experience and have done something similar? Please share what you did.

Scharfschuetze
11-09-2016, 09:35 PM
The original Marlin in 444 Marlin had a high check comb for scope use, but that was in the late 60s. I've seen members post some nice photos of leather strap on combs that really look nice on lever guns that mount scopes. I think that you are on the right track for adjusting your comb height with your project.

Bzcraig
11-10-2016, 12:13 AM
I had the same issue with my 336. Ordered a 'comb raising kit' from Beartooth Products which helped a lot! I since traded off the rifle and no longer need the kit. If you'd like, for the cost of a sfrb I will send you mine. It is a great way to see how much you need to come up so you'll be able to use as a template for making a good one. Here is the Beartooth website: https://www.beartooth-products.com