PDA

View Full Version : Barrel Outside Diameter--Encore...

BCB
11-09-2016, 03:09 PM
I am thinking about getting a MGM barrel for my Encore. I was considering the 0.810” barrel, but I am not sure I will have ‘scope clearance…

I e-mailed MGM and the response said that the factory Encore barrels are 0.800” to 0.805” so I should have clearance with my present setup—SHOWN IN THE PIC…

Now then, could someone measure the factory Encore barrel at the place where “ENCORE” is engraved on the barrel or in the area of about 4”+ in front of the front of the base of the ‘scope mount…

I come up with a diameter of ~0.780”± indicating I would not have enough clearance to mount my present ‘scope system…

Any help with measurements?...

Thanks…BCB

BK7saum
11-09-2016, 10:48 PM
BCB, I had a scope on my Encore 2506 imp that had about that much clearance. The tube would flex under recoil and the knurled bell would make contact with the barrel. I have a knurled mark in the bluing of the barrel and the anodizing on the bell is blemished. Just something to think about when setting a scope up with only 0.010-0.020 thousandths clearance.

Of course my scope had a bit longer tube and the bell was further out from the front ring. Yours may be just fine with minimal clearance.

tdoyka
11-10-2016, 02:22 AM
the largest i have is 4.5-14x in 44mm in my MGM encore. i know for certain it is a MGM base. i don't know what kind of scope rings it has. weaver has scope rings that are high and x high rings. my brother's 270 mossberg had to go to the x high ring(it was something like 50mm?).

BCB
11-10-2016, 10:20 AM
BCB, I had a scope on my Encore 2506 imp that had about that much clearance. The tube would flex under recoil and the knurled bell would make contact with the barrel. I have a knurled mark in the bluing of the barrel and the anodizing on the bell is blemished. Just something to think about when setting a scope up with only 0.010-0.020 thousandths clearance.

Of course my scope had a bit longer tube and the bell was further out from the front ring. Yours may be just fine with minimal clearance.

I have 0.024" clearence with my present setup as shown in the picture...

That is with a factor ProHunter barrel...

Which contour barrel are you using and is it from MGM?...

Thanks...BCB

BCB
11-10-2016, 10:22 AM
the largest i have is 4.5-14x in 44mm in my MGM encore. i know for certain it is a MGM base. i don't know what kind of scope rings it has. weaver has scope rings that are high and x high rings. my brother's 270 mossberg had to go to the x high ring(it was something like 50mm?).

What MGM Encore barrel do you have?...

Factory taper of the 0.810" diameter barrel?...

Thanks...BCB

BK7saum
11-10-2016, 11:26 AM
My Barrel was about a VVCG barell with a .750 muzzle I don't have an MGM Barrel to give you any numbers, but wanted you to be aware that you can have Flex of the scope tube that can batter the objective bell a little bit

tdoyka
11-10-2016, 02:13 PM
all of mine are .810".

i've checked the encore and i have two that are weaver rings ( Weaver - Scope Mounting Rings - Quad Lock & Steel Lock (http://www.weaveroptics.com/rings_bases/rings/quad_lock/) ), i think they are high rings.

BCB
11-12-2016, 04:18 PM
Well after reading all of this, I might just order the factory taper barrel from MGM…

Even though the employee of MGM indicated I “should” have clearance to use the same mounting system I am using on my factory 308 barrel on the 0.810” MGM barrel…

Unfortunately, when I do the math on the diameter differences and the location where the bell on my ‘scope will be it is highly unlikely it will mount using my present system…

So, rather than chance it, I think I will order the factory taper barrel rather than chance having to order new rings or shim or whatever—can’t deal with this stuff at all…

I wonder how much more accurate the 0.810” barrel might be over the standard factory taper barrel? I won’t be shooting anything radical out of the 30-40 Krag—probably 200 grainers or thereabout at less than 2000 fps. Shouldn’t be much violent whipping of the thinner barrel using those loads?...

Thanks for the info…

Good-luck…BCB

BCB
11-12-2016, 04:19 PM
My Barrel was about a VVCG barell with a .750 muzzle I don't have an MGM Barrel to give you any numbers, but wanted you to be aware that you can have Flex of the scope tube that can batter the objective bell a little bit

Never gave the flexing of the 'scope a thought. I did look at mine closer and I don't see any marks...

What is a VVCG barrel?...

Thanks...BCB

tdoyka
11-12-2016, 05:08 PM
a 30-40 krag still does wonders!!! i have a '98 springfield armory(bubbasized) in 30-40 krag and it shoots a 165gr(173gr actully) ranch dog at around 1800fps. it sure kills deer!!!

tdoyka
11-12-2016, 05:11 PM
virgin valley custom guns, it was MGM's forefather.

http://matchgrademachine.com/about-us/