PDA

View Full Version : Modern Farming is growing us HUGE Deer

Johnch
11-08-2016, 05:27 PM
Or at least it is for me

Last week I got a call , asking if I wanted to shoot a Whitetail deer or 2
As my fishing friends dad was going to shell the corn in a 200+ acre river bottom field and there are always a bunch of deer in that corn field

So the tough part was to not get to the farm till 9:30 AM as they were not going to start shelling till 10 AM

Talked and BS'ed till almost 11 AM
As we were waiting for a phone call that some of the deer were out of the standing corn

Now the ....OH so long LOL 100 yard walk to one of the tractors pulling large wagons to move the corn to the trucks

As we drove out to wait for one of the 2 combines , 6 does let us drive up to 25 yards from them
I picked out a large doe and shot it with my crossbow , picked up the bolt and got the load of corn

Cocked the crossbow and gave it to one of the brothers running a combine and headed back the the trucks , picking my deer up on the way

The brother called and told us to pick up his tag and doe when we came back out

I left 2 hours later and 8 deer had been shot with 3 crossbows as the corn was being shelled ( more may have been shot after I left )

Nice thing about hunting there , another brother is a butcher and process the deer for free that night

Well the part about the HUGE deer

My decent doe must have grown a extra set of hind legs hanging in the barn and doubled in size

As today I picked up my meat
60+ lb of burger
50+ lb of sausage
Back Straps and tenderloins
4 Whole rear Leg roasts ( 2 were HUGE LOL)
And 2 big packages of stew meat

All from MY Doe LOL , must be the GMO corn the deer were eating :mrgreen:

IMO I got donated some meat

But I am not complaining
The hunt cost me gas to drive there , a deer tag and 4 sets of broadhead blades
And I may just sharpen several sets and use them again

John

lefty o
11-08-2016, 05:51 PM
good northern farm deer have the potential to grow big. about 15yrs ago my dad took a doe that dressed out to almost 210.

jlm223
11-08-2016, 06:40 PM
That is awesome. you will be eating good this winter.

runfiverun
11-08-2016, 08:32 PM
the gmo must be kicking in :lol:
we got about 60 lbs of burger plus assorted steaks and a couple of roasts off the buck I got this year.
it just about equaled the other 2 deer we got this year.

your doe must have gone 400 lbs on the hoof.

leeggen
11-08-2016, 08:47 PM
WOW that always makes a guy feel better. That will be great flavor meat also, all corn fed. Glad all went well.
CD

Bulldogger
11-09-2016, 09:19 AM
Congratulations on the good fortune. Very comforting when you have that much in the freezer.
Bulldogger

jonp
11-09-2016, 06:06 PM
Corn fed deer for the asking. You are fortunate to hunt in the Moose/Whitetail Deer Experimental Cross Breeding Management Area.