PDA

View Full Version : Kit gun arrived!

FrontierMuzzleloading
11-08-2016, 01:24 PM
https://i37.servimg.com/u/f37/19/04/51/92/img_8011.jpg

Traditions St.Louis Hawken .50cal percussion!

One bad thing, the rear sight is attached using 2 screws, so I will have to cut a dovetail in the barrel flat for a traditional sight. Not a huge issues, done it before, just did not expect that.

Also, there is some wood inletting needed at the rear mounting section for the trigger guard, nose cap needs fitting. One nice thing, the lock panels are done excellent at the factory as is the butt plate that just needs a small amount of brass polished down to be even with the wood. The lock inletting had to be opened up a little for easier removal, but a spade shovel style tool opened it up nicely and with 100 grit sand paper, its smooth and clean.

GoexBlackhorn
11-08-2016, 01:30 PM
I would make it look silly, but I really don't care what others say or think. My definition of silly is installing Williams Fiber-Optic sights on it, for my 65 year-old eyes.
My only other issue is - it's not a 54-cal.

Congrats on your new toy and I'm sure you'll make it look and shoot like a thousand bucks ML.

FrontierMuzzleloading
11-08-2016, 01:34 PM
i wanted a 54 but the price difference wasnt worth it. I am lucky to hunt deer every 2 years, elk every 3 years due to the draw in Colorado. A .50cal will suite me just fine since I am mostly on the shooting range. If I get it done in time, I'll take it hog hunting in January!

SSGOldfart
11-17-2016, 08:21 PM
Sweet I to favor the 50caliber now, just don't like the extra recoil in the 54's anymore.
Good luck with the kit

wjspratley1
11-29-2016, 08:31 PM
https://i37.servimg.com/u/f37/19/04/51/92/img_8011.jpg

Traditions St.Louis Hawken .50cal percussion!

One bad thing, the rear sight is attached using 2 screws, so I will have to cut a dovetail in the barrel flat for a traditional sight. Not a huge issues, done it before, just did not expect that.

Also, there is some wood inletting needed at the rear mounting section for the trigger guard, nose cap needs fitting. One nice thing, the lock panels are done excellent at the factory as is the butt plate that just needs a small amount of brass polished down to be even with the wood. The lock inletting had to be opened up a little for easier removal, but a spade shovel style tool opened it up nicely and with 100 grit sand paper, its smooth and clean.
Where did you order the kit from??

Sent from my RCT6773W22B using Tapatalk

FrontierMuzzleloading
11-29-2016, 10:29 PM
muzzle-loaders.com

I've done a ton of work to it, just letting the stock set up for a bit before applying truoil. I took it to a nice brownish red color but really dark as Its been a while since Ive had a dark stocked rifle.

Also removed the color case from the lock so I can brown that as well.

Tackleberry41
11-30-2016, 09:07 AM
The new kits require a whole lot more work than the old ones. I bought a CVA Kentucky kit back in the 90s, it sat around a while till I finally put it together. It required little more than just applying some sort of finish to the stock, and assembling it. Barrel was already blued. I ended up with a traditions kit and will require a pile of work to be usable. Nothing fits anything, the rear stock is actually a good 1/4" wider than the front one so will have to be sanded so they line up, the holes they drilled for the lock work will have to be redrilled in the proper spots. The barrel is in the white, and has zero markings to say who made it, twist or even caliber.

johnson1942
11-30-2016, 10:55 AM
nothing like creating a nice gun your self. im working on a old long tom 12 gauge now and then and want it better than new when im done. keep us posted on your progress.

big bore 99
11-30-2016, 11:04 AM
Pedersoli makes a very good product. Nothing wrong with a 50cal.