PDA

View Full Version : Over reamed ?

SWANEEDB
11-07-2016, 02:28 PM
I have a 30m1 carbine rebarreled to the 5.7 MMJ Spitfire, shoots quite nice except we do get some misfires, light primer hits. We are using CH-4D reloading dies, have also used new brass from Grafs, same thing happens. Is it possible the chamber was reamed to far in, therefore shoulder headspace would be to deep and cause the misfireing. Have thought when we make/form new brass to a couple .000's less just to back up the case. Hope I have not confused but is the best I can relate to my problem. Thanks in advance to any and all help we can get.

waksupi
11-07-2016, 05:15 PM
Try seating out the bullets to contact the lands.

Geezer in NH
11-07-2016, 07:22 PM
Do not full length when forming. Raise the die up size until the case just chambers and don't push the shoulder back past that.

I had RCBS dies and had to do that there is a great many sized that are supposed to be the actual .57J but are not.

I had one 35 years ago and it was a fun gun great for small game and fox hunting. I lent it to a nephew to use on a weekend rabbit hut and it got stolen from his car.

SWANEEDB
11-07-2016, 07:54 PM
Try seating out the bullets to contact the lands.

Can't do that, OAL can only be so long to feed in magazine. Thanks

SWANEEDB
11-07-2016, 08:03 PM
Do not full length when forming. Raise the die up size until the case just chambers and don't push the shoulder back past that.

I had RCBS dies and had to do that there is a great many sized that are supposed to be the actual .57J but are not.

I had one 35 years ago and it was a fun gun great for small game and fox hunting. I lent it to a nephew to use on a weekend rabbit hut and it got stolen from his car.

It was our next step to not full length size, oh so little tho. Thanks

BK7saum
11-07-2016, 08:32 PM
Can't do that, OAL can only be so long to feed in magazine. Thanks

If you have the sholder set back, you can seat bullet to lands and single feed and fireform to salvage your brass, then don't size the shoulder back as far on subsequent loads.

SWANEEDB
11-07-2016, 10:49 PM
If you have the sholder set back, you can seat bullet to lands and single feed and fireform to salvage your brass, then don't size the shoulder back as far on subsequent loads.

Were saving our fired brass to do just what you said, we'll also do the single loading, had not thought of that. Thanks.

swheeler
11-10-2016, 02:55 PM
You could run the new brass over a .25 cal expander, then size just enough to set the shoulder for perfect head space, the false shoulder method works.