PDA

View Full Version : 1885 highway or 1873 sharps 45-70. Which to buy, opinions welcome.

modified5
11-07-2016, 12:51 PM
I am looking at, in the future, purchasing a single shot 45-70 for pleasure shooting and hopefully hunting if I can ever draw a tag in Nevada again. :neutral:
I have narrowed it down to one of these two I think.
I have a single shot 45-70 already in a contender handgun, but I really want a single shot rifle for the nostalgia factor of it.
I love the old guns and designs that they made back when production guns were made by skilled craftsmen.
I also have a 1st Gen Marlin 1895G in .450 Marlin that I bought when they first came out ease I just had to have it. It is a gas to shoot.
I have only shot a sharps once. It was the guy I bought my Contender from and it was sweet.
I value the opinions of experienced shooters of these fine firearms, especially since I probably won't have an opportunity to shoot them side by side to compare.
I will be buying one of the reproduction firearms, Uberti, Persoli etc with a price tag of around $1500 or so.
So, fire away with your thoughts!! I will enjoy the conversation!
Thanks in advance.

EDG
11-07-2016, 01:02 PM
I like the 1885 Browning Highwall Hunter over any of the Sharps.
I am not much of a Sharps fan and I sure don't care for double set triggers and cocking the hammer every time.

modified5
11-07-2016, 01:09 PM
The title is supposed to say highwall. Stinking auto correct on this phone anyway!!:)
I also forgot to mention that I plan on trying paper patched cast and black powder/pyrodex only in this gun.
Scott

sharps4590
11-07-2016, 04:24 PM
Neither could possibly be wrong. Beyond that it's a matter of taste and preference. I've been shooting set triggers for so long a rifle not equipped with them seems to have something missing and I definitely enjoy feeling a big side hammer beneath my thumb. There ya go, two guys, EDG & me, who enjoy the opposite things in a single shot rifle...that taste and preference thing. Get what makes you smile.

gewehrfreund
11-07-2016, 05:38 PM
The title is supposed to say highwall. Stinking auto correct on this phone anyway!!:)
I also forgot to mention that I plan on trying paper patched cast and black powder/pyrodex only in this gun.
Scott

That would be a great name for a road - The 1885 Highwall Highway :)

I am also a highwall fan over the '74 Sharps (though I really like the '75 and '77 Sharps rifles). The '74 Sharps just seems too big and clunky to me with that huge offset hammer and just not as elegant and ergonomically reasonable as the 1885. I like double set triggers, but a good single set or well-tuned regular trigger is fine too.

EDG
11-07-2016, 05:39 PM
Rather that ask for opinions you might find someone that owns both and shoot both during a range trip.
I own both Sharps 74 (Pedersoli) and Browning 1885 and have shot both at the same time. My preference is the Winchester single shot style.
However I have never shot a rolling block, Maynard or Ballard and I have only shot a Hepburn a few times. Who knows, if I shot one of everything 20 times at the range I might find another single shot that I like.

Scott

Don McDowell
11-07-2016, 06:10 PM
Handle them both and see which you prefer. I own and shoot both 85's and 74 sharps. Single trigger or double makes little difference to me, I've shot both types of triggers for over 50 years.
If per chance you don't want like the double set, but really like the 74 sharps then there is always the C Sharps Arms "hunter" rifle model, single set, and round barrel from 24-28 inch.

modified5
11-07-2016, 07:13 PM
I noticed that not only did my auto correct mess up the high wall, but I fat fingered the 1874! :-)
I would love to shoot both but I don't know anyone who owns both much less one. I have lost contact with the guy I bought my Contender from so I can't shoot his.
I could probably handle both at a gun store. Cabela's has them every now and again.
If someone lives near Reno and would like to set up a meeting, I would happily pay for ammo. :-)

Bent Ramrod
11-07-2016, 08:34 PM
Go to the next Big Reno Gun Show. As long as you ask politely and are careful and well-mannered, you will be able to look over and handle about every single shot rifle there is.

It's mostly aesthetics. If you buy a Pedersoli or Uberti Highwall, it will go to half-cock automatically and you will still have to cock the hammer. You have to put the Sharps in half cock yourself before loading and fully cock it after.

Leadmelter
11-07-2016, 09:17 PM
I thought you were talking about the Gunnie Highway model from Heartbreak Ridge!
Now disappointed;[
Leadmelter
MI

Bad Ass Wallace
11-07-2016, 10:38 PM
Careful they are very addictive, I started with just one?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v152/BAWallace/Picture028.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/BAWallace/media/Picture028.jpg.html)

modified5
11-07-2016, 11:52 PM
BAW, I have seen this pic and drooled on my phone while looking. :mrgreen:

Bad Ass Wallace
11-08-2016, 12:47 AM
BAW, I have seen this pic and drooled on my phone while looking. :mrgreen:

I have added a 44/40 Lightning pump and an 1886 45/70 Lever gun since that was taken!

country gent
11-08-2016, 01:00 PM
Al;so decide how the sights you wnt to use Iron sights arnt a big issue to loading , unloading, and such but If a scope is to be used the side hammer on the shaprps nlocks loading unloading somewhat making it harder. The cebter hammer of the highwall dosnt block loading unloadingwith a scope over the top. The highwalls locktime is quicker also, not a real big thing butits there. I have several BPCR rifles right now A pedersoli 1874 sharps long range model 45-70, a CPA shilouette model 40-65 this is a reproduction of the stevens 44 1/2, A CSharps Hepburn 45-90, and a C Sharps high wall in 38-55. All are great rifles all have been drilled and tapped for my MVA Scopes. Another thing to consider is powder and lead go farther with the lighter calibers. A days shooting is more enjoyable to

flint45
11-08-2016, 03:33 PM
I like my 75 C.Sharps the best of my single shots but my .50-70 Rolling Block is a close second third is my 74 shilo .45-70 dont have a highwall but think it would make a fine hunting rifle. Most nastalgic I think is the 1874 Sharps . One of my friends had a Pedrasoli 74 that was a real good shooter and well made also.

Dan Cash
11-08-2016, 04:45 PM
When I started shooting black powder cartridge, I thought I wanted a rolling block or a high wall. Could not find one at the time and a friend sold his Shiloh 1874 Sharps to me. That was in 1998 and I have not looked back. My shooting partner picked up a Pedersolli 1874 in .45-70 and is fully competitive. Both of these guns have shot many thousands of rounds and have been quite trouble free. The 1874 is easily disassembled for cleaning and maintenance/repair. Such repairs needed to take care of normal wear are easily made but the 1874 is a robust and durable gun and does not require a lot of tinkering. I have, since buying my Sharps, owned a rolling block and a high wall but both went down the road pretty quickly.

modified5
11-08-2016, 08:40 PM
I have considered scoping it for hunting especially, and wondered how that would affect loading and unloading etc.
A tang mounted peep would also be under heavy consideration.
I know a modern scope "ruins" the nostalgic look, but my 50 yo eyes aren't what they used to be. :):violin:

rfd
11-08-2016, 09:28 PM
weigh all the factors - purpose, form, function, aesthetics, sights, cost. the '74 sharps action is easy to field strip, remington rolling blocks are easier still, browning's are not so easy. for an offshore sharps or roller, i consider pedersoli the superior build and value, and i've both had and have at least 5 of their sharps and 4 of their rollers, mostly in .45-70, with a few in 40-65. enjoy and have fun!

AZ Pete
11-09-2016, 12:55 AM
I have shot both, but own a highwall in 45-70. It is a much stronger action than the Sharps, and is a trim and nice handling hunting rifle.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

bigted
11-09-2016, 12:29 PM
Do not sell the rolling block short. They are spiffy and the more i mess with mine ... The better i like them

modified5
11-22-2016, 01:21 AM
bigted, I have a rolling block in .32 rf that is a gas to shoot. Absolutely love it.
I have kicked around a rolling block action in 45-70.
I do have a question about the highwall.
On the uberti's, other than the 20 in hunting rifle, do the others come d+t for a scope?
I was really wanting to go to the big Reno gun show this last weekend and handle a few but it was my turn to work. :(

Boz330
11-22-2016, 10:13 AM
Ford Chevy debate in rifles. I have both and love both for what I do with them. I started with a C-Sharps Highwall and loved hunting with it. It is heavy compared to a modern rifle but not that bad. I also shot it in competition. I got a Pedersoli 74 a couple years ago and shoot it mostly in competition. It would be pretty heavy to hunt with even though it is the hunter model. If you keep an eye on Cabela's sales you can pick up one reasonably. I happen to catch mine on sale for about $400 off and then got a 15% discount because I was a vet. Add to that the fact that I had 500 plus points on my Cabela's credit card the rifle cost me $477 out of pocket. I have to say that this rifle in 45-70 has been the easiest gun to develop a load for that I have ever had. I use BP only though.
Like others have pointed out I use t think the 74 Sharps was clunky looking but have since changed my opinion. The 75s and 77s are sleek looking but also pricey compared to the Pedersoli Sharps.
You can get a period correct scope for the Sharps but they usually aren't D&T for them. I have an MVA on my Highwall and did the work myself. Not that difficult on an octagon barrel.

Bob

DocSavage
11-22-2016, 12:21 PM
I have both a Highwall and a Shiloh Sharps,I prefer the Sharps myself. Mine is the long range express version 45/70 with a RHO telescopic sight with Malcolm mounts. The rifle is a blast to shoot light recoil even with heavier loads but weighing in a 14 lbs not the rifle you want to carry all day. As far as telescopic sights Leatherwood makes period type sights for Highwall,Sharps and the like

marlinman93
11-22-2016, 02:11 PM
I've owned probably most of the various single shot action styles. The High Wall would definitely be my choice over the 1874 Sharps personally. If you plan to shoot paper patched with a standard chamber, your results may not be what you hoped for. Most are set up for fixed cartridges with lubed bullets. Paper patch bullets may not shoot as well in a chamber not throated to use paper patch bullets.

grizzly
11-22-2016, 11:11 PM
I have just purchased an 1885 Miroku. Last week I spend working up a load and tuning it in. This week I have spent whitetail hunting.

I have to say, as a bench gun it's amazingly accurate. And it's one of the easiest hunting rifles I have hunted with. Something about the simplicity and ease. Well balanced when carrying that you don't notice the heavier weight.

I also have a 1874 Sharps. Great rifle and very fun to shoot. It's really in a different class. I always loved both the designs. It's really too cumbersome to be toting around the woods for whitetail. Perhaps it would be fun in more open areas, but I'm in the east hunting dense forest.

I also have a 450 Marlin GG which I purchased right after it made it's debut. Great hunter and fun to shoot! Once I hunted with it, I forgot about all my other rifles. The Highwall may simply take the 1895's place.

I'd love to have another 1895 now in 7mm mag with a scope.

bigted
11-23-2016, 04:46 PM
I have shot both, but own a highwall in 45-70. It is a much stronger action than the Sharps, and is a trim and nice handling hunting rifle.

I do not know about the Hiwall being so much stronger than the Sharps.

I talked directly to Shiloh owner on the strength of my 45-120 3 1/4" rifle and he told me their "74" is as strong as any Ruger #1.

I also know the Hiwall is that strong as well but never heard that the Hiwall is much stronger than the Sharps.

Upon what do you base your opinion on ... I would be interested in reading more about the strength issue. Thanks

11-23-2016, 10:19 PM
Scott

Go in to settings and shut it off. Thats what I had to do.

marlinman93
11-24-2016, 02:46 PM

I talked directly to Shiloh owner on the strength of my 45-120 3 1/4" rifle and he told me their "74" is as strong as any Ruger #1.

I also know the Hiwall is that strong as well but never heard that the Hiwall is much stronger than the Sharps.

Upon what do you base your opinion on ... I would be interested in reading more about the strength issue. Thanks

The only thing I could base strength on is tests I've read on old original 1885 Winchester High Walls. Back in the 1960's JR Buhmiller did tests on the High Wall that he later wrote up in one of the gun magazines. After reading his results, I came to two conclusions. He was a little nuts, and the 1885 was stronger than I ever imagined! Especially considering the action used was 75 years old when he conducted the tests!
Buhmiller set out to try and blow up an 1885 action. He started out by barreling the action in .30-06, and putting the hottest load data found down the bore. With no signs of change in dimensional checks, he then went 25% over max loads, and it still held together. He finally stuffed the case full of smokeless powder, and compressed the bullet in the case! When fired the case stuck in the chamber, and the primer stuck to the breechblock face.
After getting the 1885 apart, Buhmiller still couldn't see any damage, so he decided to do the ultimate test! He threaded the end of the barrel for a pipe plug, and screwed in a plug. Chambered another .30-06 cartridge, and from behind a barrier they touched off the gun! A loud explosion resulted, and upon inspection the barrel had burst. The action also was finally sprung, and out of spec, but it still didn't crack or come apart.
That pretty much sums it up for the strength of a 1885 action. Maybe somebody might consider doing the same tests with a new Shiloh Sharps, just to see how it might fare?

johnson1942
11-25-2016, 02:37 PM
if you want to hunt get a CPA and then a target barrel and a short lighter hunting barrel. you can change barrels on that gun in a minute and their is no better action. love mine.

AZ Pete
11-25-2016, 07:30 PM

It has been some years since I had the information. My statement was based on the loading data for the various, common, 45-70 actions. The data was specific by action type from weakest to strongest (trap door to Ruger #1). I will see if I can track it down.

bigted
11-30-2016, 10:27 AM
I totally agree with the hiwall being strong ... But ... In inspecting my hiwalls and comparing to sharps (both shiloh and pedrosoli) as well as my ruger ... I see nothing that would make any stronger then the other. All three have massive breech blocks with heavy mortises surrounding them. The firing pin is maybe weakest in the sharps only because of so much metal removed for the system but still looks very tough.

modified5
12-03-2016, 02:44 PM
Well, it looks like I'm going to have a bunch of time to save up and decide which one to get.
I'm going to have shoulder surgery at the end of January to repair 3 tears in it.
No telling how long it's going to take to recover from that. Hopefully the doctors are good enough that it won't end my bow hunting.
Hopefully it will also be able to take the pounding of the big calibers. :Fire::)

Texas by God
12-03-2016, 07:48 PM
I like lightweight well balanced rifles so it's the Hiwall for me. I have shot both and the Sharps is neat but not my cup of tea. Best, Thomas.

Bigslug
12-05-2016, 09:53 PM
Shot both quite a bit. It's one of those, "it depends" sort of things.

The 1885 is a simpler gun to operate - open it, load it, close it, shoot it, or lower the hammer to half-cock and go stalking. Hammer is in the middle of the gun and easier to get to.

The Sharps isn't so intuitive - half-cock, load, close, full-cock, set trigger (if applicable), shoot. More steps. More movement.

So for me, a Sharps is something that you kinda have to get into the Sharps Zone to run. Fine for exterminating bison from a fixed position, but it definitely requires a methodical approach to run. I wouldn't want it for a sneaking gun.

modified5
12-06-2016, 12:51 AM
I'm thinking the 1885 may get the nod since it is going to really be a hunting rifle primarily.
I know most rounds will be shot off the bench, but I really will need to scope it and like I said it it will primarily be a hunting rifle.
I would love a 30 in octagon barrel, but I may get the uberti 22 in hunter since it would be easier to carry around and it's already d+t for scope mounts.
I still want to shoot only cast and real black powder in it, but I may change to lubed boolits I stead of trying paper patching. Lazy in my old age I guess. 8-)

KCSO
12-06-2016, 03:00 PM
The Sharps, Rolling Block, Ballard were buffalo guns and the Highwall was not. Depending on how much that influences your romantic side will depend on what rifle you choose. In the day the Highwall was rated better and stronger than the others. Now days fron Italy who knows. I am learning to shoot lefty so the highwall is my current choice but I have shot most all of the others at one time or another and liked them all. Just remember that other than the Highwall and the Sharps the rest are low pressure guns.

Yes I know the Rolling block was a 7 mm but the action still springs with high pressure loads.

modified5
12-11-2016, 12:13 AM
Went to the gun show in Reno today to look around. There was a guy there with both an 1885 and a sharps in 40-65.
Beautiful firearms. Just looking but not shooting didn't really make up my mind one way or the other.
The 1885 is still slightly in the lead, but man the sharps just looks so sweet!!
Tough call.

bigted
12-11-2016, 01:40 AM
i will concede that the Hiwall has always been a favorite of mine. some have coveted a 74 sharps for a lifetime ... my nature has always been the Winchester 1885.

i own rollers, sharps 74's miroku hiwalls both Win and Browning's and a mirade of lever actions from 45 colt to the 45-70,s of which i have two. also the Ruger #1 in 45-70 and my fav is and has always been the {miroku} Browning BPCR 45-70 Hiwall with the 30 inch barrel half round/half oct.

i have a Shiloh that is an awsome rifle and the longer i keep it {45-120} the nearer i get to selling it. it just gathers dust and it really needs to belong to someone that would shoot it more.

my original Remington sporter in 40-65 is fun to shoot and very accurate but it too spends time just setting as does the Uberti '74' Sharps long range express.

Sharps require the mind set mentioned above for hunting and shooting on a regular basis. they are steeped in tradition of days long gone when buff were the huge game in town. i enjoy looking at them and fondling them but i never got the attachment that some have for them. i never fell in love with the eradication of such an elegant animal nor the ways used to gather them nor the HUGE waste of meat left to ROT on the plains.

to me the early hunters and target shooters get me going more and this Hiwall is the biz niz for me. i will most likely sell or trade my sharps for a really good original Hiwall in excellent shape for a shooter.

rfd
12-11-2016, 07:44 AM
also look to ease of maintenance/strip for any specific action design. imo rollers are easiest, then sharps, lastly the hi/lo-walls.