PDA

View Full Version : Barrel length for CPA?

upnorthwis
11-07-2016, 12:01 PM
I had a .25-20WCF barrel put on my CPA 44-1/2 for combined bench/offhand matches. The problem is that it is a beast to shoot offhand because it is way too front heavy. Barrel is 26". I suppose I could just start cutting it off with a hacksaw until it felt right since it will have to be re-crowned anyway. But I'll ask first. What would be the best barrel length to get a good balance point for offhand?

frkelly74
11-07-2016, 12:12 PM
When I was very young and shooting toward my Distinguished Expert rating for small bore at 50', I had a 513 Remington and felt it was muzzle heavy and added weight to the butt in the form of 38 cal bullets in holes drilled under the butt plate. It balanced better but was still muzzle heavy enough to be steady.

upnorthwis
11-07-2016, 02:07 PM
I'll give that a try. It could save me $80.00

Lead pot
11-08-2016, 12:04 AM
You didn't say if it's a round or octagon. If it's a octagon have it turned down to a halve round. That would put more weight to the rear.

upnorthwis
11-08-2016, 02:55 PM
It's half round, half octagon. My 34" .45-90 C. Sharps has better balance than this one. That .45 caliber hole takes a couple of pounds off.

marlinman93
11-14-2016, 12:40 PM
Does your CPA have a palm rest on the forearm to help support the gun during offhand shooting? If it doesn't, I'd get a palm rest from CPA first, and install it. It will help a lot in supporting a heavy barrel as it allows you to support your elbow against your body.

upnorthwis
11-15-2016, 02:17 PM
Made my own palm rest. Barrel still uncomfortably heavy and hard to hold. Was thinking about just cutting it to 20" since I don't really need a lot of velocity for 200 yards. First will try frkelly74 idea to add weight to butt. That will be after deer season.

marlinman93
11-15-2016, 05:36 PM
I personally like weight forward, and aesthetically like a certain minimum barrel length on my singleshot rifles. I personally don't think any barrel under 26" looks proportionally correct. Doubt you'll lose much velocity, but if you shoot iron sights the shorter barrel will certainly be a handicap. Resale will also be hurt significantly should you ever sell a CPA with a 20" barrel.

country gent
11-15-2016, 08:46 PM
I would mix small birdshot (7 1/2, 8, 9) with epoxy and formin a tube with the same size or slightly smaller hole with whats in the stock. This leaves alot less airspace and makes for a denser heavier weight. If to lose it can be wrapped with tape to make a light snug fit. Find a suitable tube opr drill a deep hole on a piece of wood thru ( this allows the cured weight to be pushed out easily. Coat the hole with 3-4 coats of wax allowing to cure between coats. Fill this hole with the shot to just below the top a very little 1/8"-1/4". seal one end with tape so hole isnr open. A second thin plate or board can be clamped on it also. Mix a thinner long cure epoxy as per instructions and blend shot into this. Fill form with this mixture tamping down occasionally yo help pach and work air out. When full let cure. Push out of form and check fit in stock and cut to length. You want it a snug fit and very close to length so movement under recoil doesnt break damage the buttplate.

Baja_Traveler
11-16-2016, 12:06 AM
This is what a CPA looks like with a 20" .22 barrel (actually 20 1/2")

And yes - it is perfectly balanced for offhand shooting, yet still very accurate on the 200 yard rams shooting .22 BPCR matches. I don't think you would be decreasing value at all...

big bore 99
11-16-2016, 12:38 AM
I would agree with adding some weight to the buttstock first. Can't go backwards with cutting it off.

John Boy
11-16-2016, 02:09 PM
With the palm rest on the rifle, just lock your elbow into your hip for support. That's what Schuetzen match shooters have been doing for decades!
Off Hand Shooting by HM Pope
http://www.issa-schuetzen.org/off-hand-rifle-shooting.html

Chill Wills
11-16-2016, 03:20 PM
It is a funny thing how people react to offhand shooting.
Like most things shooting, I run contrary to generally what gets posted in mainstream forum chatter here.

I shoot offhand best with a rifle having slightly longer length of pull. Most say they want shorter LOP on their offhand rifle than prone rifle and I for sure want a muzzle heavy rifle to hang solid on target. Well, ....on those days when I can do my part.

M. Rix

John Boy
11-16-2016, 05:30 PM
Could Harry Pope, one of the finest offhand shooters that ever lived be wrong?

Weight of Rifle. For the finest offhand shooting, the rifle must be muzzle heavy. This is not, as most shooters suppose, wholly in the weight of the rifle, but in the disposition of the weight; as much weight as possible should be in the barrel. Weight in the stock and butt plate is useless except in absorbing the recoil. The use of a heavy butt plate is to be condemned.