PDA

View Full Version : Do you expect another panic buying spree?

tomme boy
11-07-2016, 08:30 AM
What do you think? Yes or no?

6bg6ga
11-07-2016, 08:32 AM
I would have to say YES. I see another panic buying spree.

xdsc40
11-07-2016, 08:38 AM
Ar parts and 22s will be gone again

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

wddodge
11-07-2016, 08:39 AM
As of yesterday at a gunshow in nw Ohio, there was no sign of panic buying and prices were still normal. I expect things to change after Tuesday.

Denny

michael.birdsley
11-07-2016, 08:40 AM
I would say yes to a degree. But, I think most people are stocked up from last time. I know I have been stocking up since March. Nothing to crazy like a 1 lbs of powder and a 1000 primers here and there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Butchman205
11-07-2016, 08:53 AM
If Clinton gets elected...we might not have to worry about a panic buying spree. There might be confiscations of what we've got.

If she does get elected...yes there will be a MAJOR panic hoarding and buying spree.

DerekP Houston
11-07-2016, 09:03 AM
I would say yes to a degree. But, I think most people are stocked up from last time. I know I have been stocking up since March. Nothing to crazy like a 1 lbs of powder and a 1000 primers here and there

I do believe we are panic broke....with so many 'shortages' and 'panics' over the last 8 years I can't foresee increasing ammo spending any higher. Bulk shoppers will probably snap up the current primer inventory but I hope they are back to regular soon.

Ickisrulz
11-07-2016, 09:08 AM
I think most closets are full and credit cards maxed out from the last time.

I also having a feeling Trump will win.

2ndAmendmentNut
11-07-2016, 09:15 AM
Well shelves are empty around me. They weren't really ever full, but now they are empty of components and popular ammo. There are still ARs and Glocks behind the counter, but no real point in buying if you there isn't ammo. At this point I think everyone is just waiting to see what happens on Tuesday.

Ural Driver
11-07-2016, 09:18 AM
Too early to tell........ask me again on Wednesday.

kingstrider
11-07-2016, 09:51 AM
Depends on the outcome of the election. If Trump wins then business as usual I would suspect. Otherwise all hell will break loose.

44man
11-07-2016, 10:28 AM
I see the Clinton's threatened the FBI with death. But even a threat of your job loss is enough to turn a man. The FBI director fears either one.
There will be panic if she gets in. She might not get past Congress easy but you will see executive action go out of sight. The list of those that die young will go up if you oppose her.
We might see a revolution.

Lead Fred
11-07-2016, 10:45 AM
Allt he online places have raised their prices for black Friday, and to squeeze more money out of we the people

dverna
11-07-2016, 11:05 AM
It will be the same people who did it last time, and are not prepared this time. I am holding off selling some of my stuff for that reason.

Don Verna

375supermag
11-07-2016, 11:10 AM
I can see a scenario where after the inauguration, on-line sales of firearms, ammunition and reloading components will be stopped by executive action and/or a Democrat controlled Congress if Clinton wins.

Clinton has an enemies list and the list starts with gun owners, the NRA, conservatives and pretty much anybody who ever opposed her. She will have her vengeance and the Constitution be damned.

I can see draconian restrictions on gun, ammunition and reloading components sales and a new assault weapons ban.

The road will get rocky from here if Clinton gets elected.

snowwolfe
11-07-2016, 11:34 AM
I never see AR's going through a panic mode again. After the last scare I seen people buy 10, 20, and even more than 30 lowers. That type of volume just cant be sustained for year after year. If you been watching the classifieds most will notice the bottom has dropped out of the used gun market over the last 6 months.

Bottom line is people only have so much cash to spend and most have already spent to much.

adcoch1
11-07-2016, 12:09 PM
Where I live I will bet that ammo is gone by Wednesday if Hillary is elected. That's the main reason I reload, and am getting into casting. Hopefully by Christmas I'm up and going though, components are already more expensive than a few months ago...

RogerDat
11-07-2016, 12:29 PM
First people have for the most part been stocking up for months if not years, at least the re-loaders have, and I think most that purchase ammo for competitive shooting have increased inventory on hand to deal with unreliable inventory available for purchase. So these people should be pretty well set. After all if you have been looking for a pound of 2400 for 3 months and find some you are probably going to buy one or two extra. So been plenty of normal human motivation to accumulate some extra in our own "pantry". Not to mention the purchase of something different during the worst of the shortages, that now sits in reserve since you can get your regular choice. S&B primers instead of CCI or Titegroup instead of Red Dot etc.

That leaves the clueless and hoarding/flipping buyers. To be fair there may have been some folks that wanted to increase stash but were not able to afford it in any meaningful amounts. But then many of those can't afford to drive a run either.

And of course those doing a bit of last minute "just in case" I'll pick up a couple more boxes of primers to go with the 10k I already have... But that said I was at Cabela's Dundee and they had powder with almost none sold out, and primers. There was one size of CCI gone from the shelf but still had CCI in most sizes, plus all sizes of S&B primers. I guess I could have asked if they had more of that size of CCI primer in stock but I don't need them so I didn't bother. I might have bought an 8# of Varget if they had any left but didn't feel the need to buy any more 1# Varget which they did have in stock. The price was $202 for the 8# so I might not have bought it even if they had it. I'm not low on it, but I do have an awful lot of .223 brass so having an awful lot of powder for them on hand sort of makes sense.

So some hit or miss, short term Out of Stock items as people scramble to buy last minute but most are prepared or as others have pointed out money already spent that can be spent to purchase a luxury item. Hard to justify "one more" gun or ammo purchase when you already have plenty.

Oh and I totally don't see any rapid change in the law as long as Republicans control the House of Representatives. If they retain control of the Senate then the most that the President can do is nibble around the edges of gun laws. Would have a hard time getting any proposed legislation out of committee. Or do you think Obama was pro-gun so he didn't want to pass gun regulations during the last 8 years? Hillary isn't much of a change in the whole dynamic of gun regulation, same base of voters as Obama, same general views on gun regulations. No better but then again no worse either. She will do "something" of little significance on her own or introduce a bill but it can and probably will be stopped in the Congress unless Democrats control both House and Senate.

As for a revolution? I'm thinking some people have some very weird fantasies, ones they might better keep to themselves. Otherwise people might think you are as weird as your wishful thinking.... of course hoping for a zombie apocalypse is perfectly acceptable, and reasonable, don't ya know.

44man
11-07-2016, 01:26 PM
Might be health care to cause the most stir. Get sick and die is the creed of demoncrats so they get the money for themselves. Billary will want the one health care system. What will vets get?

Shawlerbrook
11-07-2016, 01:29 PM
I don't think the panic buying ever stopped completely,but will accelerate starting Wednesday if the evil and corrupt witch wins.

dkf
11-07-2016, 01:32 PM
If Hillary gets in I figure we will see people go into panic buy mode. Just don't know how bad it will be.

sparky45
11-07-2016, 01:34 PM
If you haven't noticed, it already exists. Started a few months ago, if it ever stopped in the first place.

2ndAmendmentNut
11-07-2016, 01:36 PM
If the satanist gets in I don't see the conservatives in the house and senate conserving anything. The republican politicians seem more concerned about Trump.

Elkins45
11-07-2016, 01:38 PM
I choose not to participate in the panic.

Beagle333
11-07-2016, 01:40 PM
It don't matter if they panic or not.... I'm broke and can't do anything about it. I'll just shoot what I got til it comes back 'round again.

Connelly47
11-07-2016, 01:45 PM
I think most panics come from the manufacturers themselves. Advertising 'Get them while you can!' starts people thinking they should stock up, and sales increase. Any event from war to an election can make people feel uncertain, so we buy what we can, just in case.

toallmy
11-07-2016, 01:50 PM
I didn't notice the panic buy the last few years , until I ran out of 22s. But when powder and primers became available again I put up enough for quite a while , still haven't got the 22s and not going to at 14-15 bucks a hundred .

NoAngel
11-07-2016, 02:25 PM
Expect it? It's already started. Primers and 'got to' powders are drying up around here. It's not full bore panic....yet.

We joking say Obama has been the best gun salesman ever. You just wait and see the sales numbers when Hillary gets elected tomorrow.

ShooterAZ
11-07-2016, 02:29 PM
The "Panic" is unending now. It started with the first Klinton regime, got a breather under Bush. Started back up with Obummer...

PerpetualStudent
11-07-2016, 02:38 PM
We've got to be getting near broke. We can't keep panicking every 2 years. That said there was an NPR story that said last month's NICS checks were a new record.

Personally I think if Trump gets in we'll see a good but normal month for gun sales. If Hillary gets elected we'll see stripped shelves again. 30 years of political IOUs and learning the ins and outs make it a not unreasonable thing to expect her push for gun control (and her appointed Justices) to be more effective than Obama's.

I'd love to be wrong though and just have a normal November.

RogerDat
11-07-2016, 03:02 PM
Freedom Munitions was sending out a pre-election day sale email. Lot of stuff already sold out so why send out email flyers? Maybe to let lot's of people know they are sold out? Sort of encourage panic buying? Sold out of .223 except for the real expensive varmint whacking stuff.

And I did notice at Cabela's that they were low on .223 reloading components now that I think about it. Who knows if Hillary wins maybe that 6k in buckets of 1x .223 brass will send a grand kid to college. :mrgreen:

Really President does have to "try" for what they promised in order to satisfy voters that sent them there, otherwise they have no political capital and become sidelined. So yes Hillary will do "something" the anti-gun crowd likes, but introducing a bill is doing something even if it doesn't pass. And she won't try any harder than Obama did, and doubt will be much more successful. Obama had 8 years to get gun laws passed and accomplished what? And which of the things he did attempt made it to the supreme court?

There have been state and local gun regulations that have made it to the court so the make up matters long term but even past liberal courts have limits on how far they will go. And Hillary ain't going to be able to push gun law over a cliff. Has to get through Congress, heck has to get out of committee in Congress which is where most of them die. Intentionally, politicians want to propose stuff so they can run on it, actually doing stuff tends to piss of people so you get the opposition worked up to vote and campaign against you.

Propose or vote for anti-gun laws and NRA gives you a poor score, do anything that matters and money flows to your opponent. It is all about pleasing your supporters without pissing off those that oppose you enough to work against you. Which is one reason this Presidential campaign is as harsh as it is. Both sides are trying to please their own side by pissing off the opposition.

I would think finding and buying supplies will get easier in a month or two, not more difficult. No matter who wins. 5 or 10 years down the road? My crystal ball says no clue, but then anyone that claims to know is full of it too. The future is not ours to know. SWAG is not knowing.

B. Lumpkin
11-07-2016, 03:24 PM
If I really enjoyed doing something, but didn't want to kill my bank roll to buy a lifetime-ish supply in a month, then I'd take out a low interest loan. It's no different than getting a loan for a boat or whatever else in my mind.

Just be advised, borrowing money for a consumable is really bad financial advice. If you use it all up, then you definitely will eat the full loan cost. There is also the possibility of being able to flip some of it and recoup some cost. However, I wouldn't. I'd pay my loan off over time and enjoy my stash.

tygar
11-07-2016, 03:56 PM
if you don't add it today, you'll pay double tomorrow

flyingrhino
11-07-2016, 04:18 PM
I do. I've been spending the last couple years building my supplies up and acquiring some more of those dreaded evil guns. Got my NFA items. IF the Hitlery gets elected I fully expect she will go after the NFA items and the black rifles just to start with. However, having said that, I fully expect Trump to win. He has aroused the grass roots masses.

marlin39a
11-07-2016, 04:19 PM
I stocked up on primers and powder. At 60, I'm all set.

GOPHER SLAYER
11-07-2016, 04:28 PM
There is no doubt here in Kommifornia after tomorrow and it has nothing to do with who gets elected. It has to do with background checks on buying ammo. The shelves will be swept clean of all ammo in a very short time. I heard this morning that the proposition that requires background checks is expected to win. I don't know where you could find a dumber bunch of citizens than in the Golden state. I should have left the state years ago.

mold maker
11-07-2016, 05:41 PM
Old age does have it's rewards. I've gently stocked up for the last 50 years and now a lifetime supply has a different meaning.
I really didn't know the last buying frenzy ever ended. The shelves have been mostly empty of most things I use for years. When I encounter something I use, I buy some. I shoot less and am particular what I shoot.
I no longer have as many rainy days to save for.

dtknowles
11-07-2016, 06:01 PM
I didn't notice the panic buy the last few years , until I ran out of 22s. But when powder and primers became available again I put up enough for quite a while , still haven't got the 22s and not going to at 14-15 bucks a hundred .

There is a steady stock of .22 LR (Federal AutoMatch) on the shelf here for less than $7.50 per hundred (325 for $21.99 plus $2.20 sales tax). Been stock on the shelf for months now, I check about every week. I have picked up a few of these packs.

Tim

rockrat
11-07-2016, 06:07 PM
By the LGS this afternoon, he said that all the cheaper Ar's are gone. He managed to find two this morning at his suppliers, but nothing now except for the $$$ ones.

Landy
11-07-2016, 06:25 PM
It's already begun!
I went for primers and powders last week:
LGSes were stripped bare of primers and had some powder quantity but very limited selection.
I had to go to a national chain's store on delivery day and wait for them to open their own shipment -- selection was still very limited.

RogerDat
11-07-2016, 06:35 PM
Do you think threads such as this encourage those that might not even think of it or notice shortage without encouragement to go check? Just wondering if the enemy of adequate supply is us.

I guess my credit card is sort of like a loan but if I buy a years worth of stuff and pay it off in two months.... But heck no I can't imagine a loan for consumable items. Be too much like those people that used home equity loans to buy vacations rather than concrete assets. One thing to borrow at low rate to buy car using home as collateral, entirely different to use the money for a two week cruise. Or even to pay of higher rate credit card. But buying powder that one is going to burn up at the range? Be like buying gas for the car on a bank loan.

bubba.50
11-07-2016, 06:52 PM
not only will it happen, it's already started.

B. Lumpkin
11-07-2016, 06:58 PM
Do you think threads such as this encourage those that might not even think of it or notice shortage without encouragement to go check? Just wondering if the enemy of adequate supply is us.

I guess my credit card is sort of like a loan but if I buy a years worth of stuff and pay it off in two months.... But heck no I can't imagine a loan for consumable items. Be too much like those people that used home equity loans to buy vacations rather than concrete assets. One thing to borrow at low rate to buy car using home as collateral, entirely different to use the money for a two week cruise. Or even to pay of higher rate credit card. But buying powder that one is going to burn up at the range? Be like buying gas for the car on a bank loan.

As I said, it is poor advice to take out a loan for consumables, lol.

JSnover
11-07-2016, 07:24 PM
Continued/accelerated panic if Hillary wins, possible riots if Trump wins. They already showed us what they're willing to do at his rallies.

RogerDat
11-07-2016, 07:41 PM
As I said, it is poor advice to take out a loan for consumables, lol.
True enough, you pointed out the error of such an approach, which I totally agree with. You do have to wonder if anyone with a home equity line of credit bought a new Dillon or 48# of powder & 50,000 primers recently. :-)

Continued/accelerated panic if Hillary wins, possible riots if Trump wins. They already showed us what they're willing to do at his rallies. Hmm, fights or rather minor scuffles at rallies vs. full on riots. Wonder which side will riot, or is a revolution different than a riot?

You know what? I think on Wed not much will have changed. The extremes on both sides will still be yelling at each other or posting hyperbole, the supporters will still be as locked in as always, the non-aligned folks will be just as fed up with the BS dished out by the mouth pieces on TV, Radio, and in print. All the pointless pundits. And we will all agree was one nasty election, reaching a new low for modern times. And the world will continue to turn, day will follow night. I will go reload some .38 special and cast up some .224 and so it goes. No drama, nothing to see, get back to living our lives.

NoAngel
11-07-2016, 08:00 PM
I look at this from another angle.

I think this is great. Certainly NOTHING great about Hillary being president BUT, panic buying dumps a LOT of money into the economy. OUR economy, the GUN economy. The more money those companies have, the more their employees have, the harder they work to crank out more AND, the more those companies have to throw at BS lawsuits and legislation. The more those employees crank out, the more lands in private hands. There's already more small arms and ammunition than ANY government could hope to remove by force or law. Just NOT possible.
The more people panic buy, the more they stash, hide and ferret away.
When/IF something does go down.....the opposition just has that steeper a hill to climb and THAT is something we can all appreciate.

So go buy it people! Clear out the shelves. People just like me and you will reap the reward.

Garyshome
11-07-2016, 09:07 PM
I'll let you know after the election.

Morgan61
11-07-2016, 11:49 PM
I'm more worried that I'd be left sitting on a few thousand bucks worth of stuff I won't be able to shoot if Hillary manages to shut down the shooting ranges.
With that thought in mind I haven't gone overboard with hoarding but I do have enough to last me quite a number of years..

B. Lumpkin
11-08-2016, 07:48 AM
True enough, you pointed out the error of such an approach, which I totally agree with. You do have to wonder if anyone with a home equity line of credit bought a new Dillon or 48# of powder & 50,000 primers recently. :-)

I wouldn't use a HELOC.

kevin
11-08-2016, 08:49 AM
yeah, defiantly never stopped where i live(at least according to the thick layer of dust on the primer and powder stock shelves)seems like everybody's still buying hard.

Idaho

2ndAmendmentNut
11-08-2016, 11:13 AM
I think a lot of the buying going on right now are very novice reloaders. I haven't noticed it much on this forum, but I frequent about a half dozen other gun related forums. Almost all the new threads a very basic reloading questions. A lot of guys seem to have bought whatever was on the shelf.

Butchman205
11-08-2016, 11:43 AM
I think a lot of the buying going on right now are very novice reloaders. I haven't noticed it much on this forum, but I frequent about a half dozen other gun related forums. Almost all the new threads a very basic reloading questions. A lot of guys seem to have bought whatever was on the shelf.

I have noticed a big uptick on folks learning the reloading/hand loading craft.

For many years you could buy all you wanted of whatever loaded ammo you needed. That changed in the last ten years.

Many new shooters and many new reloaders have emerged. I would think most are loading for shooting sports and hunting, but there's also a good many folks that have learned to shoot and roll their own...due to the modern day political climate.

It's kinda like young folks laughing at old folks, that head to their storm shelter when there's a possibility of tornadoes...until they are affected firsthand by a tornado wiping out parts of their town or community.

Shortly after a major tornado event happens, the young folks that laughed at the idea of having a storm shelter...all of a sudden can't wait to get their own.

-Butchman

paraord
11-08-2016, 12:54 PM
Im a relatively new reloader/caster (compared to many on this site). My main reason for doing so wasn't lack of availability, or cost savings (huge bonus), but the satisfaction that I made THAT. I think you have 2 groups coming out of my generation (Late 20's early 30's) those who have no clue how to do a damn thing, and those who do everything they can to do whatever they can themselves. Its hard to find a middleground in my experience with my own little part of the country.

That said, as many have already said, if Killary wins expect widespread panic buying. It slowed down here in NYS after the safe act dust settled a year ago. Took long enough for that dust to settle and hopefully one day that garbage act will be tossed out but it hasnt yet.

If Trump wins I expect to see strong buying as well but not PANIC buying where everyone buys anything they can get their hands on just because. I can say I've done my part for the latter scenario.

B. Lumpkin
11-08-2016, 01:39 PM
I popped into the gun counter about an hour ago. Long line, and all the AR's (There were over 10 of them there yesterday) sold. I bought another case of 22lr and went on about my business.

dragon813gt
11-08-2016, 02:07 PM
I'm close to Cabelas so I will pop in on my way home. I have a feeling they will have lots of guns available for sale. Some components won't be there. Powder will be hit and miss w/ high(relative) prices. And lots of ammo available. I will report back if things are different. If they are out of guns a revolution is going to happen :laugh:

Kestrel4k
11-08-2016, 03:49 PM
First people have for the most part been stocking up for months if not years, at least the re-loaders have, and I think most that purchase ammo for competitive shooting have increased inventory on hand to deal with unreliable inventory available for purchase. So these people should be pretty well set. After all if you have been looking for a pound of 2400 for 3 months and find some you are probably going to buy one or two extra. So been plenty of normal human motivation to accumulate some extra in our own "pantry". Not to mention the purchase of something different during the worst of the shortages, that now sits in reserve since you can get your regular choice. S&B primers instead of CCI or Titegroup instead of Red Dot etc.

That leaves the clueless and hoarding/flipping buyers. To be fair there may have been some folks that wanted to increase stash but were not able to afford it in any meaningful amounts. But then many of those can't afford to drive a run either.

And of course those doing a bit of last minute "just in case" I'll pick up a couple more boxes of primers to go with the 10k I already have... But that said I was at Cabela's Dundee and they had powder with almost none sold out, and primers. There was one size of CCI gone from the shelf but still had CCI in most sizes, plus all sizes of S&B primers. I guess I could have asked if they had more of that size of CCI primer in stock but I don't need them so I didn't bother. I might have bought an 8# of Varget if they had any left but didn't feel the need to buy any more 1# Varget which they did have in stock. The price was $202 for the 8# so I might not have bought it even if they had it. I'm not low on it, but I do have an awful lot of .223 brass so having an awful lot of powder for them on hand sort of makes sense.

So some hit or miss, short term Out of Stock items as people scramble to buy last minute but most are prepared or as others have pointed out money already spent that can be spent to purchase a luxury item. Hard to justify "one more" gun or ammo purchase when you already have plenty.

Oh and I totally don't see any rapid change in the law as long as Republicans control the House of Representatives. If they retain control of the Senate then the most that the President can do is nibble around the edges of gun laws. Would have a hard time getting any proposed legislation out of committee. Or do you think Obama was pro-gun so he didn't want to pass gun regulations during the last 8 years? Hillary isn't much of a change in the whole dynamic of gun regulation, same base of voters as Obama, same general views on gun regulations. No better but then again no worse either. She will do "something" of little significance on her own or introduce a bill but it can and probably will be stopped in the Congress unless Democrats control both House and Senate.

As for a revolution? I'm thinking some people have some very weird fantasies, ones they might better keep to themselves. Otherwise people might think you are as weird as your wishful thinking.... of course hoping for a zombie apocalypse is perfectly acceptable, and reasonable, don't ya know.
Outstanding post beginning-to-end; to quote one of my heroes Charlie Munger, "I have nothing further to add". :)

dragon813gt
11-08-2016, 04:52 PM
Okay, so here is a pic of the "panic" in this area.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Mobile%20Uploads/10B124C9-1C06-48A7-B857-A4628DDAD2FD.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/10B124C9-1C06-48A7-B857-A4628DDAD2FD.jpg.html)

The entire shelf was full. It's the most powder I've ever seen them have. Even saw Trail Boss. They had plenty of primers of all types. Plenty of ARs and other "evil rifles". Pallets of 223 ammo were on the floor in multiple locations. Plenty of Pmags, $12 but that's down from their normal price of $15. They even had Savage 99s for under $500. Almost bought one for $450 on price alone because it was in good shape. Then I turned it over and saw that the receiver was drilled and tapped on the side for some janky scope mount. Needless to say there seems to be no panic around here.

B. Lumpkin
11-08-2016, 04:59 PM
Interesting and thank you for the update.

dragon813gt
11-08-2016, 05:05 PM
Make no mistake. If Hillary wins tonight the pallets of 223 ammo will be gone by closing tomorrow. And the ARs may be gone by the end of the weekend. Maybe people are just hopeful that Trump will win and are just going about life as usual.

2ndAmendmentNut
11-08-2016, 05:39 PM
Okay, so here is a pic of the "panic" in this area.
http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Mobile%20Uploads/10B124C9-1C06-48A7-B857-A4628DDAD2FD.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/Mobile%20Uploads/10B124C9-1C06-48A7-B857-A4628DDAD2FD.jpg.html)

The entire shelf was full. It's the most powder I've ever seen them have. Even saw Trail Boss. They had plenty of primers of all types. Plenty of ARs and other "evil rifles". Pallets of 223 ammo were on the floor in multiple locations. Plenty of Pmags, $12 but that's down from their normal price of $15. They even had Savage 99s for under $500. Almost bought one for $450 on price alone because it was in good shape. Then I turned it over and saw that the receiver was drilled and tapped on the side for some janky scope mount. Needless to say there seems to be no panic around here.

Holy sheep! That's the most powder I have seen since 2004.

RogerDat
11-08-2016, 08:37 PM
Hmmm the Cabela's over in SE Penn. seems to like reloaders more than the one in Dundee, Mich. They might have that much in the back warehouse (I don't know but they could) but up front they have about 1/3 that much space devoted to powder and primers together. Don't carry musket percussion caps either, just the inline and #10 & #11. Do have a couple of skirmishers there who are BP knowledgeable which is a happy accident.

I buy most of my stuff from small business that operates out of a gun show, I'm not paying any more than Cabela's and often less. Earned my business by being a straight shooter back when things were tough. But it is good to see such a nice full assortment. Encouraging.

waltherboy4040
11-08-2016, 10:49 PM
Yes, it doesn't seem as bad though right now.

dkf
11-09-2016, 12:36 PM
Holy sheep! That's the most powder I have seen since 2004.

That is what it looked like when I was there a month or so ago. Some smaller local shops I go to have far more than that in stock. A lot of 4 and 8 lbers to go along with the 1lbers. I buy from the smaller local shops, they have a better powder selection than Cabelas and better prices to boot.

tygar
11-09-2016, 12:41 PM
Well hell, can't believe the scumbag, crooked, lying, etc. lost.

Thank GOD!

mold maker
11-09-2016, 02:12 PM
With the insecurity gone, maybe the shelves will again fill, at prices, we can afford.

Electric88
11-09-2016, 02:20 PM
Hmmm the Cabela's over in SE Penn. seems to like reloaders more than the one in Dundee, Mich. They might have that much in the back warehouse (I don't know but they could) but up front they have about 1/3 that much space devoted to powder and primers together. Don't carry musket percussion caps either, just the inline and #10 & #11. Do have a couple of skirmishers there who are BP knowledgeable which is a happy accident.

I buy most of my stuff from small business that operates out of a gun show, I'm not paying any more than Cabela's and often less. Earned my business by being a straight shooter back when things were tough. But it is good to see such a nice full assortment. Encouraging.

I suspect you are right about the warehouse in Dundee. I bought two pounds of Titegroup there one day and left one on the shelf. The next day it was back up to 3 pounds. Also, prices there seem to be right in line with the lgs. I have no problem buying reloading supplies from them. Firearms though, I try to avoid.

PerpetualStudent
11-09-2016, 02:41 PM
*in British accent*
"With the predators appeased for the time being, the rare .22lr that remain in the wild have time to find each other and reproduce before the next hunt begins in four years. For the moment at least, it seems they have a fighting chance"

Char-Gar
11-09-2016, 02:57 PM
We can call the panic off!

toallmy
11-09-2016, 03:15 PM
Please do , I'm waiting on the return of 22s ( at a good time price ) I haven't been able to get cci min mags for years . I donated my last 5-6 boxes along with my first 22 to a new shooter a couple years ago . That's when I realized all the 22s were gone . It was worth it of course .

dragon813gt
11-09-2016, 05:15 PM
We can call the panic off!

I agree. But the counter was packed w/ people buying guns at a LGS about an hour ago. A bunch were first time buyers. One was a female w/ her better half and surprisingly the counter guy was giving useful advice. I was tempted to buy a gun in celebration. But there were no K32 Masterpieces on the used shelves :(

JSnover
11-09-2016, 07:26 PM
Hmm, fights or rather minor scuffles at rallies vs. full on riots. Wonder which side will riot, or is a revolution different than a riot?

Mostly their side, so far. I doubt this will kick off a revolution but the riots have already begun.
http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/11/09/anti-trump-protests-break-los-angeles-seattle/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

RogerDat
11-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Well on prices I saw where Colt stock was down, believed to be a result of market anticipating less buying of colt products with a Trump win. Less demand does sometimes lead to lower prices, unless manufacturer reduces supply to maintain prices. Of course might be able to pick up some deals from the folks that bought 4 or 5 safe ornaments in anticipation of a ban driving up prices.

Makes those of us that just slowly and steadily plug away at buying what we need and a "little extra" for later feel pretty good. No panic purchases, no shortages, no problem.

lightman
11-09-2016, 08:46 PM
I voted in the poll but somehow failed to comment in the thread. My answer would have been "you bet". Now I don't think so. Ruger and S&W stock both fell about 15% today. I did make a large order from Powder Valley last summer, split between a few shooting buddies. It was partly a Democratic Presidental order and partly just time to restock. I hope we made a choice that we can live with.

RogerDat
11-09-2016, 08:52 PM
Mostly their side, so far. I doubt this will kick off a revolution but the riots have already begun.
http://www.breitbart.com/california/2016/11/09/anti-trump-protests-break-los-angeles-seattle/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

I especially like how the first paragraph describes "Violent anti-Trump Protests and Riots" but if you watch the video and listen to the commentary then read the body text you find that several protests are described as "peaceful" and one is described as about a 100 people with some small trash fires set in a street. One group started to rock a car trying to flip it but stopped when they realized someone was inside. I am reasonably sure we do better than that when our basketball team wins or loses a final four tournament. One BART station closed due to the crowd and "police and fire personnel on hand to keep an eye on things". No couch fires or pulled up street signs, didn't even knock over a light pole. Pretty sure the country can survive these "Riots".

Not just lame stream media that likes a good catchy intro or headline not well connected to or backed up by the rest of the story.

RogerDat
11-09-2016, 08:54 PM
So how did the ammo background check thing do in California? Wondering if we will have to be sending brass care packages to the west coast.

GhostHawk
11-09-2016, 10:30 PM
I have only been stocking up on what I actually use. No Ar's, no magazines. No powder for the last 4 months.

I did buy 1k of shotgun 209 primers locally to avoid hazmat and shipping.
I have been buying boxes of my favorite Federal Champion auto .22lr, but I got them for 6 cents a round so I am happy sitting on a few thousand spares.

I was considering looking for 150-200 lbs of wheel weights smelted in ingots. But no rush now.

Mostly been loading shot-shell's lately, Lee 7/8ths oz slugs, #1 buckshot, and the shot I made in the garage which is a blend of 5's through 8's. May not be perfect but it mostly looks pretty round.

Abenaki
11-10-2016, 01:00 AM
RogerDat

The ammo thing passed. But it was almost a copy of the one
That the state passed a while back.

Take care
Abenaki

Landy
11-10-2016, 01:17 AM
Many, now, seem very optimistic.

I'll wait for two things before I say that we're safe:

Obama to serve his last day.

Trump to live up to the pro Second position paper produced for him by the NRA versus reverting to his own lifelong anti Second positions.

While I envy the optimism, when dealing with government, cynicism is the safer bet.

Bent Ramrod
11-10-2016, 10:53 AM
You are right, Landy. Watchful wariness, always. But the other choice was a certain disaster.

If Trump is pals with Putin like the bird-cage liners say, maybe he can relax that trade restriction that stopped the importation of the cheap Russian .22s. I've been using the cartons of steel and brass cased standard velocity I socked away (at $5-something a carton) throughout this famine for plinking and practice. A little healthy competition from that stuff would bring the prices down on the domestic offerings and other imports in a hurry.

tomme boy
11-10-2016, 11:12 AM
What trade restrictions? We are able to get every type of Russian made ammo here. Except the actual military. Unless it was being held in one of the satellite countries for a few years.

They are still selling the Saiga shotguns also. Soo, I don't understand

mold maker
11-10-2016, 11:18 AM
Lots of things feared, won't happen, and there might be some pleasant surprises.
For sure the outcome was a surprise to the other side. Seems the entitled, aren't as entitled, as they thought.
The fact that there was very little panic, shows that we are either prepared already or had a good indication of what was coming. I wasn't surprised, but rather relieved.
Now if the younger generation can only understand they aren't entitled to everything just because they want it their way.

B. Lumpkin
11-10-2016, 11:23 AM
I am ecstatic!!! I am very well stocked and can get back to just relaxing, reloading, and shooting without having to put serious thought into where I should allocate my components with fear of not being able to replace them.

JAbee
11-10-2016, 07:36 PM
I wouldn't doubt it with all of the protest going on after Trump's big win.

michael.birdsley
11-11-2016, 12:36 AM
I am ecstatic!!! I am very well stocked and can get back to just relaxing, reloading, and shooting without having to put serious thought into where I should allocate my components with fear of not being able to replace them.

This is how I feel too.

cbrick
11-12-2016, 06:20 PM
Skimmed over 5 pages of this thread and didn't see any mention of what would have been the problem had the evil witch won. Any anti-gun laws she might have tried to get through a Republican Congress meant nothing, she wouldn't even have needed to try. One of the very first things the new President will do is appoint a Justice to SCOTUS. With Scalia dead the court is split 4-4. It's been years since the left side of the court has voted in favor of anything in favor of the Constitution let alone the Second. The last Second issue before the court the 4 left Justices all agreed that the Second IS NOT an individual right. If she had won she would need to do only one thing in her 4 years, appoint a single Justice and your guns would be gone. It really is as simple as that.

Iowa Fox
11-13-2016, 10:06 PM
I have a hunch that after 8 years of panic buying we are going to see a slowdown in the arms and reloading market. I met my oldest son at the Cedar Rapids gun show Saturday afternoon. There were a lot of people but purchasing seemed to be slow. Bob's reloading was extra slow, hardly anyone making a purchase from him or even browsing his stuff. First time I have seen him slow anytime during the show in over 10 years. Bob, Mark Sieh, Bopeen, and Gabe's are usually the barometers of purchasing and I didn't see much activity while I was there.

michael.birdsley
11-13-2016, 10:31 PM
I kind of have a feeling that we are going to see a glut of guns, ammo, and .22 ammo. People who were hoarding the stuff to flip are going to be stuck with it or dump it quick now. Realistically for my pistols I'm set for a year atleast other than projectiles. For my rifles I just need projectiles.

Beagle333
11-13-2016, 10:43 PM
'Hoping for a glut, or pretty much ANY .22 ammo. Wal~Mart was out of it again today. Not one in stock of any brand.

Buck Neck It
11-14-2016, 12:35 AM
Young Democrats are panicking!

I tell them to watch " glock meltdown" on YouTube , then go to Walmart and buy a rubber gun and some ammo.

I know I shouldn't, but this is too easy.