PDA

View Full Version : ITAR registraion....

ssn vet
06-13-2008, 11:42 AM
Has any one ever looked into whether ITAR registration is required for the manufacture of bullets, reloaded ammunition, reloading/casting equipment or the publication of technical info. related to such.

If you go to this link....
http://www.pmddtc.state.gov/official_itar_and_amendments.htm

you'll see that the language is increadibly broad.

ssn vet
06-13-2008, 02:57 PM
O.K. I see this topic is attracting a lot of attention....

basically, ITAR stands for International Treaty in Arms Export....which has been adopted by the U.S. and is assigned to the State Department for administration by executive order of the President.

getting into the State Dept. web site linked....you need to be licensed to export arms and ammo.

BUT....in addition to missles, howitzers and machine guns....you also need to register ($1750/year fee) if you manufacture any of a long list of items.....EVEN IF YOU DO NOT EXPORT!!!

Included are:

1. ammo for all calibers up to .50
2. ammo components (including bullets)

or ...

if you publish technical data about any of the covered items.

Over on The High Road, there's a little debate going on as to whether this pertains to cottage industries in the U.S. that are strictly selling to domestic customers.

Smells like the creeping global arms ban to me.

ChuckS1
06-13-2008, 07:42 PM
LOL I work for Lockheed Martin and you'd be surprised what's covered under ITAR. Basically, it's just to make sure that the bad guys don't get our cool stuff.

Boerrancher
06-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Smells like the creeping global arms ban to me.

This is a bit off topic but not really either. I constantly warn people to watch out for the treaties that come up for votes in the Senate. Once a Treaty is approved it becomes part of the Constitution. Yes that is right according to the Constitution, all approved and signed Treaties become Constitutional Law. That is why I always try to pay attention to any treaties coming up for a vote. Never know when some one is going to try to sneak something in on us that will be an attack on our Firearms Rights, because a newly ratified treaty does take precedence over an older, article, section, or amendment.

Best Wishes from the Boer Ranch,

Joe

felix
06-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Yeah, that is a practice of an Implosion technique, purely and simply. ... felix

waksupi
06-13-2008, 10:30 PM
This is a bit off topic but not really either. I constantly warn people to watch out for the treaties that come up for votes in the Senate. Once a Treaty is approved it becomes part of the Constitution. Yes that is right according to the Constitution, all approved and signed Treaties become Constitutional Law. That is why I always try to pay attention to any treaties coming up for a vote. Never know when some one is going to try to sneak something in on us that will be an attack on our Firearms Rights, because a newly ratified treaty does take precedence over an older, article, section, or amendment.

Joe

Joe, check with the Indians about that. I have some Blackfeet, Sioux, Cheyenne etc. friends who may have some enlightenment on how effective treaties are.

Ricochet
06-13-2008, 10:41 PM
BUT....in addition to missles, howitzers and machine guns....you also need to register ($1750/year fee) if you manufacture any of a long list of items.....EVEN IF YOU DO NOT EXPORT!!!

Included are:

1. ammo for all calibers up to .50
2. ammo components (including bullets)

or ...

if you publish technical data about any of the covered items.So, does that mean we need an ITAR registration to discuss cast boolit production and loading here?

ChuckS1
06-14-2008, 07:02 AM
So, does that mean we need an ITAR registration to discuss cast boolit production and loading here?

If the technical data's already in the public domain, then it's not covered by ITAR.

Boerrancher
06-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Joe, check with the Indians about that. I have some Blackfeet, Sioux, Cheyenne etc. friends who may have some enlightenment on how effective treaties are.

yes my friend, sadly it always happens that just like anything else, the Gov only enforces the laws that they wish to, and not all laws apply equally to everyone. It was that way with the Indians, and it is still that way with selected groups.

Joe

trooperdan
06-14-2008, 09:43 AM
There is young fellow in the UP of Michigan that is starting up a 07/02 FFL business but he also did/does cast boolits. His research showed that he needed to register under ITAR even if he never exported a thing!

Here is a quote:

Got word back from the State Department on the ITAR. Fee is $1750 yearly. Required for all firearm manufacturers. Also, if you make firearm parts, you also need to register with the ITAR and pay the $1750 fee. The fee is regardless of whether you import or export and no reduced registration fees for small businesses apply.

ITAR is still required for 06 FFLs, as small arms ammunition is listed, even components of ammunition. I have to cease operations until ITAR is taken care of.

So for anyone getting their 06FFL, you also need to pony up $1750 per year for the ITAR.

This thread was in the GlockPost forum. I wondered when the stuff was going to hit the fan about ITAR; looks like it is required but I'll bet most casters don't know or choose to take a chance by ignoring it.

trooperdan
06-14-2008, 09:45 AM
This is a bit off topic but not really either. I constantly warn people to watch out for the treaties that come up for votes in the Senate. Once a Treaty is approved it becomes part of the Constitution. Yes that is right according to the Constitution, all approved and signed Treaties become Constitutional Law.

Joe

I was also shocked, stunned when I found this out; a treaty is the highest law of the land! That is some really scary stuff to think about!

quasi
06-14-2008, 04:11 PM
Believe it or not, Wolfe publishing, the publisher of Rifle and Handloader, has stopped shipping any of their books on handloading and cartridges, outside of the US.

ssn vet
06-16-2008, 10:07 AM
The state department must have received a flood of questions, because they've set up a commodities jurisdiction process for formally determining who has to comply with this cr@p.

The purpose of a commodity jurisdiction (CJ) request is to determine whether an item or service is covered by the U.S. Munitions List (USML) and therefore subject to export controls administered by the U.S. Department of State pursuant to the Arms Export Control Act and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR).

they have a designated team to handle these CJ requests and an apparent back log of jobs, so they've also set up a quick question e-mail process in an attempt to avoid unnecessary CJ requests. I submitted my question to them via. e-mail, but am not holding my breath for a reply.

just wait untill the Demoncrats get their claws on the presidency....:twisted:

they'll put people in jail for casting musket balls for use in historical re-enactments.[smilie=b:

Blammer
06-16-2008, 11:35 AM
if there's a re enactment with real musket balls, I'll be FAR far away from that one! lol

ssn vet
06-16-2008, 11:41 AM
you won't need to shoot them to be tossed in jail.....just make one and you're toast.

the enacters I've seen have the "kit" to shoot, though they don't actually do it.

no mention in the ITAR BS about selling or exporting it either....

just make it and you're supposed to register.