PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
11-07-2016, 07:40 AM
Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.—John 8:36 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=6d23886dd9&e=3dd732485b)Sometimes people have a hard time believing they have been forgiven by God. They walk around with guilt and feel almost as though they will be able to pay some kind of penance by continuing to beat themselves up over their sins. But they need to accept the forgiveness that Christ has given to them and start behaving like a forgiven person, realizing that "if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed" (John 8:36 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://2)).

In Matthew 9, we find the story of a paralyzed man who was carried by his friends into the presence of Jesus. When Jesus saw the faith of his friends, He said to the man, "Son, be of good cheer; your sins are forgiven you" (verse 2). This is the first time we see Jesus' use of the phrase, "Be of good cheer," and He used it when He was assuring a man that his sins were forgiven.

Now, it doesn't seem like they brought him to Jesus to have his sins forgiven; it seems like they brought him to be healed. So Jesus went on to say, "For which is easier, to say, 'Your sins are forgiven you,' or to say, 'Arise and walk'? But that you may know that the Son of Man has power on earth to forgive sins"—then He said to the man, "Arise, take up your bed, and go to your house" (verses 5–6). And the man did.

Jesus forgave this man of his sins, and in this case, God's forgiveness brought courage. God does His part, and then we must do ours. You see, God gives His forgiveness to us, and we must accept that forgiveness.

Are you living in God's forgiveness? Or, are you living in guilt because you are unwilling to accept it

Pine Baron
11-07-2016, 09:54 AM
Thank you rl. For me, I vacillate between the guilt and the forgiveness thing. I can't help but regret the pain I may have caused in my past. I am working on it.

Blackwater
11-07-2016, 10:49 AM
What a great lesson! Stole this and sent it to a friend who tends to often feel so bad about some of his past. I think it'll help him realize the full power of real forgiveness from Christ, who paid the price that ALL our sins might be forgiven, and cast as far from us as the east is from the west. Thank God for the Son, and what He did for us all! It's just a shame everyone can't or won't accept what He did for them, but that's obviously all in God's righterous and perfect plan. Praise God from whom ALL blessings flow!

rl69
11-07-2016, 06:13 PM
I look at things a bit deferent. All the things I have done have led me to this spot I am right now. And I can't think of anyplace I rather be. Don't get me wrong, I'm not proud of all the things I have done. But there's not a single thing I would change just in case I would end up someplace else

Blackwater
11-07-2016, 08:44 PM
You're right, RL. Like the old saying, some learn from watching others, some from reading books, and some have to pee on the electric fence to see for themselves what happens. But it's also said that the hardest lessons are the best learned and longest remembered. And I think that's true. So in a way, I DO thank God for all my mistakes. Without them, I'd never truly know what I do now, or appreciate it as much as I do.

Still, I think there's a twinge of regret that we had to learn so much the hard way. Who among us doesn't want everything to be easy? It's just not in the cards for us to let it happen that way, though, in so many, many cases. I guess we are both examples of that old saying, "Too soon old, too late smart?" :)

Morgan61
11-07-2016, 09:52 PM
I'm going to copy & paste that. Sounds like it was directed at me. Been beating myself up quite a bit lately & feeling unforgivable.
God bless!

rl69
11-07-2016, 10:17 PM
There is no condemnation in Christ

look at the mighty men of the bible, Paul persecuted and killed Christians
david had a man killed to cover up his adulatory heck he killed a man for bringing him bad news
Sampson
jona
the list goes on and on
don't get me wrong, sin is sin and God hates sin;and we must repent of those sins. once we are forgiven we are forgiven. And our sin is remembered no more

I have to look that verse up a wiser man could just pull it of his pocket ( cough cough charle cough cough ;) ) but me I have to googel it

rl69
11-07-2016, 10:29 PM
Hebrews 8:12 is the verse in was thinking of

but I like Isaiah 1:18

"Come now, and let us reason together," Says the LORD, "Though your sins are as scarlet, They will be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They will be like wool.