PDA

View Full Version : My observations after shooting my Israeli Heavy barrel Fal......

6bg6ga
11-07-2016, 07:08 AM
I started up the road of insane obsession with the fal after shooting my friends fal's. I just had to have one with no concern for cost. After purchasing a heavy barrel kit for a price some here seem to think that was too high I then aimed for a decent upper to complete the rifle. The rifle was completed and then test fired. I've shot Garrands, M1A's, AR10's and several others. All good rifles but none were close to my heart like the heavy barrel Fal. I felt the Garrands and M1A's were gentle to my shoulder and the AR10 was excessive in its punishment leaving an imprint on my shoulder in the form of a diamond shaped bruise. All of the above had the capability to fling brass 30 feet making pick up a timely matter. The Fal however has the capability to drop the brass right next to the rifle for easy pickup. The gas system and its massive size and weight were a factor in its light recoil. I have a love affair with my Fal and my wife isn't going to understand.

Scharfschuetze
11-07-2016, 10:12 PM
I've had friends over the years that have felt the same way that you do. I've always enjoyed shooting the FAL or SLR and had access to them in Central America in the 80s. I also fired the US Army's test FAL (made by H&R as the T48 rifle) while at a foreign weapons course at Fort Bragg in the early 70s. They were reliable and dead on accurate out at 600 yards or so, but the rather crude rear sight did limit them a bit I felt.

Glad that your heavy barrel is doing what you want it to do.

Bzcraig
11-07-2016, 10:53 PM
Pictures please!!

Lonegun1894
11-08-2016, 10:32 AM
I have a love affair with my Fal and my wife isn't going to understand.

That may be a good thing, cause if she ever starts understanding, you will have to get her one too!

Kestrel4k
11-08-2016, 04:01 PM
A few people whose opinions I value highly are big FAL fans.

I do my best to not read up on them or try them out because I might find that they are superior to my current battle rifles.
And I don't have the $$$ to do the last 10 yrs all over again lol. :roll:

Lonegun1894
11-09-2016, 01:39 AM
I have carried a FAL in rough overseas spots at times, and have carried other rifles into similar situations, and given the choice, I will ALWAYS take a FAL if its a place I can carry a full size rifle. Only exceptions might be if I need an SBR to attempt and be somewhat discreet. Kestrel, You didn't say what your current choice is, but for what it's worth, my team was pretty evenly split between FALs, G3s, and M14s, with each member carrying whatever he personally chose, with the understanding that everyone carried all their own gear and that you may not have the option of sharing mags if you didn't standardize for a mission. It was just a risk we always accepted and it never came back to bite us, but came close a couple times.

6bg6ga
11-09-2016, 07:04 AM
That may be a good thing, cause if she ever starts understanding, you will have to get her one too!

Actually she shot it after I deemed it 100% which was about 25 rounds. She did like it but wasn't quite ready for the recoil from a 308. She has her mind set on a 22-250 and she will get what she wants. She has been a devoted mate for 44 years and there isn't anything I would tell her no to. She enjoys shooting probably more than I do. Its kind of funny anytime I take her to a gun shop and have workers or customers come up to me and tell me I am so lucky to have a wife that loves guns. She has more than I do now.

Lonegun1894
11-09-2016, 11:09 AM
That does sound like you are a very lucky man, and one who must be doing something right. Congratulations!

6bg6ga
11-09-2016, 06:48 PM
Thank your sir.