PDA

View Full Version : Gas check tool

KTN
06-13-2008, 11:01 AM
Here's better pictures of my gas check tool.First picture shows parts in disk punching die.Second picture is die body with punch and following pictures show how it is assembled.Second to last picture shows die mounted on press,punching disks from copper strip and last picture is punched strips and disks.

To be continued........

Kaj

KTN
06-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Check forming tool pictures.Die and forming tool.Forming tool parts.Die head,finished check and assembled forming tool.Forming tool mounted on press.Copper disk on the way up.Coming down.Finished check ejected.Disks and finished checks.Checks on boolits,on left before sizing,on right after sizing.
Copper is annealed and 0.02" thick.

Kaj

walltube
06-13-2008, 12:30 PM
First class workmanship on the die, KTN. The neat looking checks are proof of how well it works too.

I can't help but ask, are you going into production and North American sales very soon? :coffee:

Y.T.,

Harold der Walltube

44man
06-13-2008, 05:17 PM
"SPENDID" is not the word! Unreal from a genious is more like it!
We ALL need on of those beautiful tools plus a source of the right copper.

Bret4207
06-14-2008, 09:50 AM
Jeeze! Nice job. You built it the same way I had in mind. Hand punching is for the birds. Nice job!

KTN
06-14-2008, 01:51 PM
Walltube,thanks for the nice words.
Very unlikely to go into production,but maybe someone else puts these on production.I'm just sharing some of my ideas here.

44man,thanks,but there really is nothing unreal or genius in this tool.Anyone with a lathe and basic tools can do it.I think the cherries and molds you make are much more challenging to make.

Some more pictures.Now I can make both .44 and .45 checks with it.First picture,left side .44 checks on right .45 checks.Second picture left .44,right .45.

Kaj

Cap'n Morgan
06-14-2008, 03:10 PM
I especially like the ejector arrangement on the drawing die; simple and efficient.

JIMinPHX
06-14-2008, 06:28 PM
A very nice job...
I would have thought to make a die shoe arrangement that used a hammer to move the punch. I like the fact that you chose to use a single stage press, that every reloader already has, for the actuator. That tool is very well thought out.

What was that copper strip sold as? Is that something that is commonly available by you?

PatMarlin
06-14-2008, 11:22 PM
That is awesome KTN!

That probably took quite abit of work and skill which you are famous for. We are working on a design as you know. Not as elaborate, but it will get the job done.

Have you sized any yet with the thin copper? Did it get sized with the boolit?

You make a hillbilly redneck proud. I know you are one deep down inside though.. :mrgreen:

Don't werry... I won't tell nobody.. :Fire::mrgreen:

KTN
06-15-2008, 07:13 AM
JIMinPHX,copper strips are side benefit from my dayjob.Year ago I made new chimney flashings to an old roof,and since the old were copper,customer wanted new to be copper also.Old flashings ended up behind my workbench,alongside all the other scrap pieces of copper sheet:mrgreen:.

PatMarlin,waiting to see your desing.
Disk cutting die could be made simpler by using 7/8-14 all thread and nut,and making anvil from toolsteel and threading it 7/8-14 to fit nut.Punch made of toolsteel could fit right to press ram,running thru whole die,without return spring.
And :redneck::mrgreen: so I name it RNC-tool for redneckcheck-tool.
Now,how many other calibers can be paired up to be made from same size disks?
.357"-375" and .308"-.323" should work.Think I try .357"-.375" next.

Kaj

PatMarlin
06-15-2008, 11:33 AM
Kaj,

That is close to what we have now. We have been working on various designs, and working with different thicknesses.

It all has to work out with costs, labor, and materials to be able to go into production and be successful.

Nuttin' a Redneck can't do. Or what one Redneck can do, another Redneck can do... :mrgreen:

HotGuns
06-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Exellent. It all looks great!:drinks:

I've been toying with the idea myself.

I'd like to make one...if you dont mind.

What kind of steel did you use?

dave slavage
06-15-2008, 05:09 PM
Group buy lol
ill take one in 45 and 357 when they come out please
thanks
Dave

walltube
06-15-2008, 06:29 PM
Is your still-in-the-development-stage check making tool anything like Kai's gadget? As in, to be
used in a Rock Chucker type press?

TIA,

Inquiring minds sometimes think they need to know. :)

Ernest
06-15-2008, 07:13 PM
WOW!!!!! can you make one of these in .585 for my .577???????????
Ernest

bc3660
06-15-2008, 10:43 PM
I want one in 452 and one in 308. wish I knew how to do that!!!

PatMarlin
06-15-2008, 11:03 PM
Is your still-in-the-development-stage check making tool anything like Kai's gadget? As in, to be
used in a Rock Chucker type press?

TIA,

Inquiring minds sometimes think they need to know. :)

Yes it is most definitely a die set for a single stage press.

06-15-2008, 11:30 PM
Patmarlins,
I'm getting excited about all this. The examples from Finland are most impressive. Hope we get a purchase list going soon.

walltube
06-16-2008, 12:47 AM
.. will each tool be caliber specific, or will you offer some sort of "insert" that allows a simple change to another caliber?

If, as you indicate, the price will be in the Group Buy mould price ~$65.00 or $70.00 that may very well put me in reach of a .30 cal -.285 shank gizmo.

It's time for me to strart groping under the sofa cushions for loose coins. I don't think the neighbors will be annoyed too very much with that.

TIA, again...
Wt.

KTN
06-16-2008, 04:48 AM
Hotguns,I don't mind at all.Just go ahead and do it,maybe you find some way to make it better and report back to us all.I used CRMO42 steel for these.

.. will each tool be caliber specific, or will you offer some sort of "insert" that allows a simple change to another caliber?

TIA, again...
Wt.

Now you got me thinking it all over again:roll:.I'll be in my shop rest of the day.

Kaj

PatMarlin
06-16-2008, 10:16 AM

If, as you indicate, the price will be in the Group Buy mould price ~$65.00 or $70.00 that may very well put me in reach of a .30 cal -.285 shank gizmo.

It's time for me to strart groping under the sofa cushions for loose coins. I don't think the neighbors will be annoyed too very much with that.

TIA, again...
Wt.

TIA,

I answered that question recently on the group buy thread, have and pasted it below.:

-First let me clarify I'm not a machinist. I'm learning to become one for my own needs, but that will be a long road. Designer and fairly skilled fabricator- yes.

My Buddy is the machinist. He and I are working on this design hand and hand, or side by side you could say. He is the one machining the Checkmaker die sets.

There will be a separate set for each caliber, like a reloading die set. The tolerances between caliber's are very specific and precise.

It would be to problematic to handle manufacturing and sales for various parts to sets, etc. and too expensive to offer a complete kit. Yes- some calibers will have a common part that threads in a 7/8-14 reloading press, much like a reloading die set that comes with shell holder that will work with other calibers.

The only way we can make this profitable is to run group buys of various calibers, so we can make large runs at a time. 30 cal will be first up, and once it's up and going and successful, I plan to open up buys on other calibers and we should be able to keep them open at the same time.

One very cool thing is we have it 99% worked out where you need only one (1) set per caliber. Our 30 cal covers from .308-.315 with only needing to vary punched check disks. At least I know it works up to .314, cause I have done it here. Rock solid check with no slip or spin on the shank.

Every function of the set has to be precise to make a good uniform check. We are talking about replacing a factory check here that functions the same in every way, not a just a close mock up that may slip off. Some are gluing on the other guy's check making tool checks.

Getting a check to have a "snap fit" is one thing. Getting a check to hold on rock solid to your boolit once it's sized, and size to your diameter choice is another concern all together. Which do you think is more important? I think the latter obviously.

I can get copper sheet right now for an over the counter cost of close to $6 per 1000 30 cal checks. That price includes shipping from the supplier. I think I will be able to negotiate a group buy price down to $4. May not get quite that good of a deal, but I think I can get close. It depends on how much we can order as a group.

The set will work beer can metal also for those of us who do not wish to buy copper.

I may have a working set to show next week with pics here for everyone showing how the set works. When we have all the final touches and are completely happy with it, I'll ship a set to Ben Hayes for the "Ben Test".

If it passes, we are good to go.

I could release it as it is right now and most folks would be happy with it, but it's not where it totally needs to be.

We are waiting on some raw materials and are very close now. We should be there by the end of next week.

walltube
06-16-2008, 12:26 PM
didn't mean to be a PITArse with my questions, but I think maybe I have? Yes, I read your previous posts and somehow or another dis-combobulated your writings.

Old, abused branes get that way some times...:confused:...:)

Yours to the last gas check,

Harold

PatMarlin
06-16-2008, 01:40 PM
No pain here Harold.

Hope my response didn't show attitude, cause there was none meant. There's just a lot of questions and I'm trying to cover all the bases... :drinks:

Wicky
06-16-2008, 06:19 PM
Kaj, good stuff, thanks for sharing.:drinks:
Something else to work on! One day I'll get something finished!![smilie=l:

Artful
08-21-2008, 01:26 AM
Very cool - I remember some years ago the Free check that was made from aluminum pop/beer cans. It's nice to be able to make your own.

RP
08-21-2008, 07:12 PM
Well let me say to start with I dont know much about GC but I have a ? would drink cans work for a gas check or would the heat be to much for aluim. Asking becaus everone can get a Beer can or soft drink can. Just a passing thought and those dies to someone not in the machine trade are very impressive you should be proud remember whats nothing to one man is a big deal to another.

badgeredd
08-21-2008, 08:33 PM
KTN,
As a tool maker myself I can really appreciate craftmanship and you have it in your tooling. Beautiful job, ...no fluff, just the facts as I see them.:-D