PDA

View Full Version : S&W locked

shotman
06-13-2008, 05:59 AM
had something happen that has never happen to me in 40yrs of shooting. I have a S&W model 27 that was my first hand gun. Had many many 1000s put through it. I shot 6 reloads [light] and it would not open. i worked with it for around an hour. Gave up and put in box i got it home and took a feeler and went between the frame and cylinder it still would not open.I was holding it and touched the nerrled part that is the ejector when opened . It moved so i turned it a couple of times and the gun opened. I have never seen that happen. Most time they are so tight you have a hard time getting them loose. just to put out here in case any one runs into that shotman/rick

imashooter2
06-13-2008, 07:13 AM
Yep. I've had the ejector rod come loose on a 625 and tie up the gun. It's not uncommon.

44man
06-13-2008, 07:52 AM
That is not the only problem with the S&W ejector. If enough heavy loads are shot the pin inside of it that releases the front lock will get peened at the front end. You need to tap on the thumb latch with a stick to open the gun, then take it apart to remove the burr on the pin.

Sprue
06-13-2008, 09:09 AM
Blue - Loctite will remedy the problem.

HeavyMetal
06-13-2008, 09:12 AM
So much for the "Myth" that revolvers won't jam!

maintnence is just like safety: it's only as good as the person who's doing it.

THis is why at least twice a year all my guns are inspected for this type of wear or loose parts.

454PB
06-13-2008, 01:34 PM
Be aware that the threads are backwards on that ejection rod. Turn it counter clockwise to tighten it.

Murphy
06-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Shotman,

If you intend to snug that ejector rod back down good and tight, be sure to drop an empty cases in at least 3 of the cylinder charge holes.

The reason being, one can over tighten to the point it will snap the small pins protruding from the cylinder into the ejector star.

Murphy

Morgan Astorbilt
06-13-2008, 05:44 PM
So much for the "Myth" that revolvers won't jam!

HAH! Just get a granule of unburned powder under the extractor(between the extractor and the cylinder), and close it after reloading! This has happened to me in a combat situation with my Mod.10. I was using 10.5gr. 2400 behind 170gr. Keiths. I think some of my 50-50 Alox lube got into the powder.
Morgan

shooting on a shoestring
06-13-2008, 05:53 PM
My Mod 60 loosened it's ejector rod and tied up, it doen't anymore.

People who claim revolvers don't jam haven't shot enough. The frequency on average is much less than most autos, but they are not perfect. In a combat situation, the best answer is to have a second gun ready to go.

RP
06-13-2008, 06:03 PM
good Ideal second gun or maybe a third okay thats my new reason i have more than one firearm. Just in case one jams on me.

Yes I have a few guns because if 5 or 6 jams I can still defend myself ( how did that sound)

Going to go and try it out on my wife and see if i can get a new gun.

HeavyMetal
06-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Ricky P

Let us know how that works out.

9.3X62AL
06-14-2008, 01:08 AM
Ricky P--

Your argument would carry weight with my wife--as acting vice-principal, she has been assigned to follow and monitor 3 different middle school students reported to be carrying firearms on campus this week. I threw a fit--it seems the school police were too busy to respond, so her principal ordered her into this course of conduct. I am VERY glad she is changing districts next term, and her school site will be inside China Lake Naval Air Station.

shotman
06-14-2008, 06:49 AM
i also run into something else -- about 5 years ago was in a gun shop and looked in the case at a model 629-- i asked to see it- looked unfired- this is the 629 not -1 -2 this one is the pinned -recessed only thing it had after market grips. I bought it for $600. took it out to shoot - sot it twice and it locked - opened it closed it and fired one more and locked- opened and turned cyl. wouldnt close- turned some more would close not fire. I took shells out and looked at cylinder and there was a piece of metal still on the bottom of ejector where the line up pins are. I took small file cleaned it and has never failed. I had a 629-1 and sold it kept the grips and found a presention box on flea bay . but i just have to shoot it rick

Bret4207
06-14-2008, 09:17 AM
My Smiff 19 sort of locked on me once. Out of maybe 5000 rounds that's not bad. It was the little piece of metal down by the trigger that you can just see near the rear of the trigger opening in the frame. I think it's for over travel or something, you won't find it on any but the target triggered guns, or so I'm told. It flopped over 180 and pretty much locked the trigger from moving all the way. I was doing double action fast work walking cans across the ground from the hip, impresses the kids. I really should take it out since it's not needed and that will always be in the back of my mind.

NSP64
06-14-2008, 09:38 AM
Ricky P--

her school site will be inside China Lake Naval Air Station.

Unfortunatley, this doesn't prevent stuff from happening. During clinical rotations @ Wright-Patterson AFB in 1994, a Colonels son came in complaining of a infected/swollen cut on left hand. x-rays revealed a .22 bullet lodged in there. He finally confessed to playing with a gun at home and it 'accidentally discharged' striking his hand. Since there was no exit wound, he assumed it had bounced off. After surgery, I would bet his hand wasn't the only thing sore.

Tom Herman
06-14-2008, 11:01 AM
Hi Rick!

This has happened to me as well... I was blessed to pick up a S & W Canadian contract .455 Webley second model Hand Ejector for a fire sale price!
I took it and the Mark VI out to the range, and all went well for about three cylinders, then the gun wouldn't open.
I carefully investigated it back at home, and finally got it open without damaging it.
Sho'nuff, the ejector rod had worked its way loose! I did the trick Murphy mentioned, stuck a cylinder full of fired cartridges in, and tightened up the rod.
Last time I took it out, it fired almost 100 rounds, and is still tight.
Now I make sure to check the ejector rods on all my guns on a regular basis.
Happy Shootin'! -Tom

had something happen that has never happen to me in 40yrs of shooting. I have a S&W model 27 that was my first hand gun. Had many many 1000s put through it. I shot 6 reloads [light] and it would not open. i worked with it for around an hour. Gave up and put in box i got it home and took a feeler and went between the frame and cylinder it still would not open.I was holding it and touched the nerrled part that is the ejector when opened . It moved so i turned it a couple of times and the gun opened. I have never seen that happen. Most time they are so tight you have a hard time getting them loose. just to put out here in case any one runs into that shotman/rick

Geraldo
06-14-2008, 12:00 PM
I had an old 1940s vintage M&P lock up when the ejector loosened. I also had a Colt Anaconda that worked well with whichever cases I was loading at the time. I got a deal on another brand of brass and it would turn for a maximum of three rounds. The cylinder face was not square, and the rim thickness of certain brass would lock it up. After a trip to Colt failed to do anything, I had a machinist buddy chuck it up in his lathe and true the rear cylinder face.

Always check your guns and ammo, and when you think you need a gun, you probably need two.