PDA

View Full Version : Machining of Ballisti cast MKII molds

Kjeksen87
11-06-2016, 04:59 PM
Hey!

Who machines molds for the BC MK II machine? I know of NV Ballistics, Accurate Molds and MP Molds.
MP Molds are out of the question since response there by mail is a tragedy. Accurate Molds could not calculate
exactly weight dimensions using hardball alloy so I am reluctant to use him also..

Are there anybody I have forgotten or should know about?

woodbutcher
11-06-2016, 06:22 PM
:) Might give NOE a try.He is on here.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Kjeksen87
11-06-2016, 06:32 PM
:) Might give NOE a try.He is on here.
Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
Leo

Thanks for the tip. I have sent him a mail.

runfiverun
11-07-2016, 11:18 AM
Tom can't calculate a weight for one of his molds from a known alloy?
your joking right...

Kjeksen87
11-07-2016, 04:53 PM
Uhm no. From my understanding his software calculated WW alloy but not hardball alloy. He said that WW alloy is approx. 1,5% heavier than
hardball. So no, not a joke.

runfiverun
11-08-2016, 01:23 AM
wow...
it's halfway between lino and pure.

longbow
11-08-2016, 02:23 AM
Tom at Accurate Molds does a first class job on his moulds so you may want to rethink things. Not quite sure why he wouldn't be able to give you an accurate weight but surely he can give you an accurate volume then you can calculate the weight yourself.

If as he says WW is approx. 1.5% heavier than hardball then it is pretty easy to work out the weight. As long as the boolits all come out the same weight does it really matter if they are a few grains heavier or lighter than the goal for a given design?

Nothing wrong with NOE either but they are set up more for group buys if you are looking at something not quite standard.

Mihec also makes excellent moulds but he is also set up for doing group buys not individual orders. And he is backed way up so if it isn't something in a current group buy or an extra on his e store you could be waiting a year or more.

I'd check with Tom again or some other custom mould maker like Brooks if the Ballisti Cast machine requires mould blocks cut to specific dimensions.

Longbow

Kjeksen87
11-08-2016, 03:35 AM
Tom at Accurate Molds does a first class job on his moulds so you may want to rethink things. Not quite sure why he wouldn't be able to give you an accurate weight but surely he can give you an accurate volume then you can calculate the weight yourself.

If as he says WW is approx. 1.5% heavier than hardball then it is pretty easy to work out the weight. As long as the boolits all come out the same weight does it really matter if they are a few grains heavier or lighter than the goal for a given design?

Nothing wrong with NOE either but they are set up more for group buys if you are looking at something not quite standard.

Mihec also makes excellent moulds but he is also set up for doing group buys not individual orders. And he is backed way up so if it isn't something in a current group buy or an extra on his e store you could be waiting a year or more.

I'd check with Tom again or some other custom mould maker like Brooks if the Ballisti Cast machine requires mould blocks cut to specific dimensions.

Longbow

First off, that Tom does not calculate exact weight on hardball alloy is not ment as a negative comment. It is just the facts coming from himself, as he has said that his CAD software does not render 3d volume as accurate - wich is okey, but I as a customer would ofcourse prefer to have the bullet weigth calculated.

It might not matter to some if the bullet is a few grains less or a few grains more, but it matters to me. You are right that the bullets come out the same is the most important, but it is kind of beside the point. If I would like a certain weight on a bullet, that is what the end goal is to accomplish - not 3-4-5 grs more or less. But im sure we can sort this out.

NOE has so far not replied. I know that they are most set up for group buy. Sent them a mail anyway.

Ausglock
11-08-2016, 06:43 AM
Accurate 45 RN mold is listed as 230gn with hardball. they throw 230gn
40 cal mold listad as 180gn RNFP. throws 179gn.
How accurate do you need??

Kjeksen87
11-08-2016, 08:14 AM
Accurate 45 RN mold is listed as 230gn with hardball. they throw 230gn
40 cal mold listad as 180gn RNFP. throws 179gn.
How accurate do you need??

AusGlock you are missing my point, it would be nice to have a calculated weight confirmed, and not approximates.
+- 2grs would indeed be acceptable.

Ausglock
11-09-2016, 09:35 PM
There will always be tolerances.

NVM molds listed as 135gn with 2,6,92 actually throw light with 2,6,92 alloy here in OZ.

We have them make molds for us to be 2 to 3 gns heavy with the USA 2,6,92 alloy.

IPSC people like bullets to be heavier, not lighter. Power factor safe.

TomAM
11-18-2016, 12:39 AM
It's true.

I draw with CAD software that is worthless for calculating 3D volume.
It hasn't been important to me, since I do drawings only to catalog a customers design, and to write G-code tool paths.

There is good bullet design software available, which anyone can use to draw and submit a design to me which they have calculated at their desired weight.
But I am not in the design business, so I have never needed such software.

I can tell you the exact weight per cubic inch of any combination of lead, tin, and antimony; that's simple math.
But without knowing exact volume, I have to guestimate.

Not being able to predict exact weight, I cannot guarantee it.