PDA

View Full Version : Theoretically speaking ...

Big Boomer
11-05-2016, 11:12 PM
Came by a new Ruger AR 5.56. Good deal. Put a nice scope on it - clear optics. Also have an old Ruger Mini-14 from the 1980s that I have hardly shot in the last 30 or so years. More interested in handguns. Had loaded up a good supply of military brass with Winchester's 55 gr. fmjbt bullet. The Mini-14 shoots this ammo quite well but I was really surprised when the AR 5.56 shot a 1" group at about 120 yds. with ammo tailored for the Mini-14. Did not think it possible for that Winchester bullet to produce that kind of accuracy. My son showed me an ad from Midway - they have AR-Stoner Barrels for AR-15 223 Remington/5.56 (Wylde) Varmint Contour 1 in 8" Twist 24" Stainless Steel very reasonably priced. Should I be satisfied with the stock Ruger 16" barrel or should I invest in the longer barrel for longer distance shooting? Since I am not that well versed with the AR 5.56, what is involved in swapping out the original barrel for the longer barrel? Educate me please. Big Boomer

B. Lumpkin
11-05-2016, 11:33 PM
Stick with the 16 inch, and build a different rifle for the longer barrel. The 16 inch will do well enough out to 500 yards for what the rifle was designed to do.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-05-2016, 11:42 PM
well, if you didn't know, the neat thing about the AR, is you can just build another upper....then swap between the 16 and the one you build with a longer barrel.

country gent
11-05-2016, 11:48 PM
With the scope the 2" longer barrel wont gain you that much more. With Iron sights the added sight radious might be a plus if you went to a gas block and moved the front out to the end of the barrel. Build a second upper or rifle with a top makers 24" or 26" 1-8 twist barrel and shoot bullets in the 70-80grn weight range. My AR match rifle has a krieger 1-7 on it 26: and performs great at 600yds with 80grn JLKs or sierras. With 75grn Hornadys BTHP match its a tack driver from 100 - 300yds. This rifle is set up with match sights warner rear with gehman diopetr appeture adjustable and Ladder front appeture sight on a 8" bloop tube to extend the sight radious. This set up is like shooting a zero magnification scope. The drawback to the long sight radious is the rear sight went from 4 clicks / min to 5 clicks / min. On Ars ( AR15s) its about like swapping a savage barrel. Remove gas block and tube. remove handgaurds. With a spanner wrench and barreal vise remove the barrel nut and slide barrel out. The barrel extensions shoulder sets head space. If you get a barrel and nolt headspaced together then its simple reversing the procedure. SOme use a glue or locktite on the extension so some heat may be required also.

Big Boomer
11-07-2016, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the info. Will try to think this through and see what happens. Big Boomer