PDA

View Full Version : Mineral sprits & paraffin for gun storage?

trooperdan
10-31-2005, 03:41 PM
I recently saw an article on another list about dissolving Gulf wax in mineral spirits with some light oil, such as Marvel's mystery stuff and spraying it on guns for long-term storage. The article references farmers using a solution like this for equipment and tolls; has anyone here heard of this? Do you think it would have merit?

Seems like it might work better to use something like RIG, if it would dissolve in spirits.

StarMetal
10-31-2005, 03:49 PM
That yellow borebutter TC makes is great for gunstorage.

Joe

Bret4207
11-02-2005, 08:56 AM
It'd probably work OK as long as there's absolutely no moisture on the metal. The wax would seal the moisture in and any crack in the wax would allow oxygen to enter and rust would result. If you want long term storage grease for cheap, get some RIG. I have a small can thats lasted for over 30 years and still is over half full. A little goes a long way. Also, remember farmers are cheap, until it comes to pickups and new tractors. Any cheap mixture that would be easy to apply (spraying) would be right up their alley. I farm. I know!

fourarmed
11-02-2005, 01:47 PM
When I was a kid on the farm, we painted plowshares with used motor oil to prevent rust. I can just imagine what my dad would have said to buying parrafin, mineral spirits, and mixing in perfectly good oil.

bascom32423
11-02-2005, 02:36 PM
I like Birchwood Casey's 'Sheath'. I have stored guns up to five years without a hint of rust. I also use it in the bore.

Henry

utk
11-02-2005, 06:25 PM
In the "outside world", LEE Liquid Alox is a rust preventative.
Mfg by Lubrizol under the name Alox 606-55.

Urban