PDA

View Full Version : Lost golf ball.

44man
11-05-2016, 03:18 PM
Don came to shoot his SBH Hunter and I wanted to test my SN .475 boolits to see if they hit the same.
He was a little scattered until I got him more instruction. I shot his SBH and got a little right at 7/8" at 50 yards, new brass. I set my golf ball at 50 and hit it with his gun after a few clicks left. I set it back and shot paper first with the BFR .475 for the 2 holes at 3/8". Swung to the ball and centered it by setting it on top of the red dot. Don said it hit the steel backstop and went like a boolit through the woods and leaves. We can't find it, told him need to wait for snow! :Fire: SN is close enough for a grenade.
I finally got him into the black with his. He has a hard time seeing me hit a golf ball 2 for 2. 180149

Dennis Eugene
11-05-2016, 04:07 PM
Ever hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back?

Zim
11-05-2016, 04:57 PM
Golf balls are fun targets, but they do run when you center punch them. Bring several spares next time.

You shooting the balls at 50 yards?

we'd start aluminum cans at 10-25 and chase them out to 100 yards or what was left of them.

Blackwater
11-05-2016, 06:20 PM
Golf balls are indeed fun targets. They're "lively" when hit, and go off in all directions, making for good field related shooting, and sharp shooting at that. Very good practice with an accurate gun!

44man
11-06-2016, 09:40 AM
Just to show the seam of the softer lead and any imperfections in the casting had no affect. It was a big worry so to see the accuracy is as good needs to be shown.
I made them with the little shell dipper first, then hard lead behind.
Everyone here knows anything over 1" at 50 yards for me is changed to be better.
Then brass results. These .475 cases have been loaded 20 to 30 X and it just gets better.
I don't pat myself on the back because it is not my shooting or I would never miss, It is the process I test and have posted from day one how to do the loading. I MUST show or you would see me blowing smoke and if even one person can do better, it is what I want.

bluelund79
11-06-2016, 11:20 AM
Great results. That brass has some great life expectancy! Did you run those rounds through a chrony, or are they loaded at a general sweet spot from prior testing?

44man
11-06-2016, 01:03 PM
Great results. That brass has some great life expectancy! Did you run those rounds through a chrony, or are they loaded at a general sweet spot from prior testing?
Yes I did after working loads with my new boolit. I made the mold at 420 gr, WFN. It runs 1329.1 fps but I did not record SD or ES. I don't think numbers mean anything. I work loads until I get accuracy and only then see how fast.
That load is my boolit with 26 gr of 296, a Fed 155 and Felix lube. If recoil bothers you you need a lesson. So far no boolit has done what mine has done. My 440 gr JRH boolit has never been matched either, sent some to copy but they are changed. They get close but never as good. Why would you change my boolit?
I admit some were mistakes when I cut the cherries. I strayed from the printed word. You know how I feel about that anyway. Then testing was out of sight. I had something. PB at full pressures.
Whitworth came with his .500 JRH. Shot at a can at 100 when I told him where to aim. Can did not move. I took the next shot.180209180210
I do what I do for me but also for you. I don't believe one single thing written until I test. I have never followed anyone for loads, not ever.

bluelund79
11-06-2016, 01:08 PM
Well written, thanks for the follow up. Glad to see that I'm not alone. I load for accuracy, then check overall speed through a chrono. ES and SD need not apply for me. I won't call myself recoil shy, but after 18+ years of "training" with Uncle Sam, I have my comfort levels and stay within that range. 44 Remington Magnum is where I stop, and keep a level of enjoyment for a day at the range. Love following your threads, please keep sharing.

44man
11-06-2016, 01:36 PM
Well written, thanks for the follow up. Glad to see that I'm not alone. I load for accuracy, then check overall speed through a chrono. ES and SD need not apply for me. I won't call myself recoil shy, but after 18+ years of "training" with Uncle Sam, I have my comfort levels and stay within that range. 44 Remington Magnum is where I stop, and keep a level of enjoyment for a day at the range. Love following your threads, please keep sharing.
Believe me a bigger gun is not worse then the .44. I grew to love them. I have limits to what is needed for a purpose. But recoil from a .500 JRH at full load will not hurt you. You will drain my boolit box faster then I want to load. It is the gun and weight. A .357 can hurt like the devil. Some can't take a 1911 and want a .380. Until they shoot the tiny gun.

mozeppa
11-06-2016, 02:17 PM
:roll: we used to shoot fleas off the sleeping hounddog at 300 yards.

we never woke the dog .... but he was flea free.

BCgunworks
11-06-2016, 02:32 PM
:roll: we used to shoot fleas off the sleeping hounddog at 300 yards.

we never woke the dog .... but he was flea free.

Hahahah!

Blackwater
11-06-2016, 08:34 PM
Geez, guys! Just because YOU can't do it doesn't mean 44man can't. I'd think that would be evident?

And did you know he was the state champion handgun silhouette champ for his state? A man who can't shoot exceptionally well can't achieve that. But go on and disbelieve all you want. I have a friend who his redneck friends call "lucky" who regularly shoots pecans out of his yard at up to 50 yds. You live in the southeast? He'd be glad to demonstrate for you. The gauntlet's down. Any takers?

44man
11-07-2016, 09:55 AM
How I wish I could still shoot as good off hand but not to be anymore. I have done 3/4" or less at 100 off hand at one time. Did a row of water bottles once, all centered but a bottle at 100 now has dancing legs as ugly as Hilliary. I NEED sandbags now!
I shot most IHMSA Creedmore but my belly blocks me now and I still shake too much. My guns still shoot so my advice to you fellas is never get to age 79!
Thankfully recoil does not bother me. The BFR .475 felt no different then the SBH Hunter, a fine gun by the way that will be even better once brass is shot more. New brass is just not as good.
I slugged the gun and it was as good as it gets. It only needs one thing yet, A Wolfe mainspring, I ran out of them.
Now Don had not mastered the trigger yet and was moving the dot at trigger break but I got him into the black. Not yet a golf ball but close. I seen he was making the gun shoot and you can't do that. The worst thing you can do is punch the trigger as the sights cross the bulls eye.

Blackwater
11-07-2016, 01:40 PM
Well, 44, there's a lot of that aging stuff goin' around. Must be sumthin' in th' dang water! I too wish I could shoot as well and fast and accurately as I once did. But I STILL wouldn't want me shooting at me, and I suspect you're in the same boat. And one thing competition will do for you is to make you learn to make a shot when it really counts most, and that too, is something that only comes with experience. I know a few folks who aren't very interested in shooting paper, but put hair, hide or feathers in front of them, and they always seem to pull off center hits. So skill on paper isn't necessarily an indication of real skill in an emotional situation. Many can't or don't know how to control their emotions, and if someone is watching them shoot, they kind'a fall apart. It takes a lot of resolve and complacency if one misses to stand up in front of lots of folks, and make a shot. Once you do that, you find you don't really care if a shot is "embarassing." You just shrug it off, put it out of your mind and make the next one go dead center, kind'a as a bit of spiite for the one you dropped. Great shooting will always, like any other sport or pursuit, be mostly a mental game, and mastering that is yet another aspect of becoming a really good all around shot.

But age and infirmities take at least some of that away from us over time. I miss those halcyon days when there was only one guy in the county that could consistently shade me on the range. And that was because his eyesight was like an eagle's, while mine was never quite "normal," even with glasses. Close, but no brass ring, so I just learned to "weigh" the blurs and center them, and .... it worked pretty darned good. Rode a desk for many years and that didn't help, but got out enough that I kept my strength up. (sigh) There's a lot they don't tell you about getting older, isn't there? When I was a kid, Dad and maybe some more guys would gather at the back of somebody's pickup truck, and discuss various things, and when the subject of health came up, the older guys always joked about their "miseries," and how was I to know that it was no joke? And to make it worse, how was I to know they were only talking about the tip of the ice berg? (sigh) I'm just glad I'm still here. I gave the Lord a number of really good opportunities to take me Home, but he left me on the vine. I guess I just wasn't ripe yet? But I STILL wouldn't want me shooting at me, though! :)

44man
11-07-2016, 03:43 PM
Wonderful assessment. But I found the ball today getting firewood up. About 30 yards from the backstop. Well centered with a SN boolit. Other shots a .44, one centered and a skid. Sure drug in some lead.

44man
11-07-2016, 03:55 PM
Don't know the wood, told it was locust but it is the color of osage. Can hardly lift chunks. What do I do when too old for firewood?

Half Dog
11-07-2016, 04:27 PM
Ever hurt your shoulder patting yourself on the back?

I have and boy it hurts.... at first.

44man
11-08-2016, 09:59 AM
I had enough too with a 564 gr boolit from a 45-70 BPCR! Even from my home made lead sled it makes you sit up and take notice along with the black and blue.
I will pat myself with this though. BFR in .500 JRH at 100 yards.
440 gr WFN at 1350 fps. 180345
Get your revolvers to do this and I will let you shoot the BPCR!
I admit to it taking 2 shots, first 1/2" right, Ultra Dot, 4 min dot.

Wayne Smith
11-08-2016, 03:02 PM
Don't know the wood, told it was locust but it is the color of osage. Can hardly lift chunks. What do I do when too old for firewood?
From your description it is yellow locust. Rowed and interlocked grain, impossible to split, and burns well? Heavy because of the grain pattern.

44man
11-08-2016, 03:21 PM
Thanks, no spines on the tree and have to see if my splitter will work.

tazman
11-08-2016, 05:23 PM
I used to burn Black Locust. It had a yellowish heartwood and a thick, rough bark. The spines were few and very small. It split easily and burned hot and cleanly in an air controlled wood stove.
I loved it for heating the house.

RKJ
11-08-2016, 06:47 PM

My FIL is 84 and still cuts wood (black & white oak) so when he stops I'll let you know.

GL49
11-11-2016, 02:27 PM
I had enough too with a 564 gr boolit from a 45-70 BPCR! Even from my home made lead sled it makes you sit up and take notice along with the black and blue.
I will pat myself with this though. BFR in .500 JRH at 100 yards.
440 gr WFN at 1350 fps. 180345
Get your revolvers to do this and I will let you shoot the BPCR!
I admit to it taking 2 shots, first 1/2" right, Ultra Dot, 4 min dot.

44man, what do you suggest I do to counter the problems I have with my aging eyes? I don't know if I could have done that (hit a shotgun hull) when I was younger. Now, probably not a chance. I can still shoot better than my sons, only because of practice, but being older and seeing the sights is getting harder and harder. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

44man
11-11-2016, 03:33 PM
I had cataracts removed and new lenses put in. 20-20 now. Still need glasses for up close and small print.
I was so bad I could not read business signs or road signs and could not focus a rifle scope.
I complained to the eye doc that I didn't grow more hair or stop shaking! :violin:

Blackwater
11-11-2016, 03:56 PM
One funny story about getting "new eyeballs" (new lenses) was when my Mom got hers replaced. When we went outside to take her home, there was a redwing blackbird in a pecan tree about 100 yds. away. I couldn't see it, but Mom, pointing it out to me repeatedly, FINALLY got me to see it. AND I HAD MY GLASSES ON!!!

Very humbling! I am scheduled for another eye appt. soon. I need it more than ever!