PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
11-05-2016, 07:57 AM
Then Barnabas brought him to the apostles and told them how Saul had seen the Lord on the way to Damascus and how the Lord had spoken to Saul. He also told them that Saul had preached boldly in the name of Jesus in Damascus.—Acts 9:27 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=11cc9b5844&e=3dd732485b)Sometimes new Christians have a difficult time finding their way in their newfound faith. They need someone who will stand with them and love them.

A guy named Mark did this for me. After I came to Christ on my high school campus, no one came up to me afterward and said, "Now Greg, you are a brand-new Christian. We have this Bible here for you. You also need to start going to church." Instead, the school bell rang, and I went back to class.

I went on with my plan for that weekend, which was to go off into the mountains and smoke dope. But as I was sitting out on a rock and getting ready to do this, I felt God was speaking to my heart and telling me I didn't need to do that. Although I didn't know how to pray, I asked God to make Himself real to me and to help me. And God answered that prayer.

When I returned to school on Monday, some guy named Mark, whom I had never seen before, walked up to me and introduced himself. He told me that he had seen me give my life to Christ at the Bible study on Friday. Then he invited me to church, and, in a very direct but loving way, he wouldn't take no for an answer. So I went to church with Mark. I started hearing the Word of God, and my life started to change.

I didn't need a Bible scholar. I didn't need an evangelist. But I did need a friend. And that is what Mark was for me.

So here is my question for you: Can you be a friend to someone? Because our commission is not only to preach the gospel, but to make disciples

EMC45
11-05-2016, 08:05 AM
A man named Marc (with a C) helped lead me to the Lord and is a true friend and a great guy! Great testimony there.

USMC87
11-05-2016, 09:16 AM
A lot of shared experience there for me, Thanks for sharing your testimony.

buckwheatpaul
11-05-2016, 10:59 AM
Truer words have never been spoken. We are suppose to minister to others and we should go boldly in that direction. It is easy to get bitter as we age and see all the wrong that is afoot. Just remember the rejoice when the Shepard left the flock and found the lost lamb. AMEN

Blackwater
11-05-2016, 11:58 AM
Great post, and it also illustrates that after a newbie makes his/her profession of faith, it's not quite "over" as many, and I'm sad to say particularly among my own Baptist sect, seem to too often assume it is. This, I think, is at least a significant part of why so many "backslide" so often. A new Christian is a delicate commodity, and needs a lot of followup. They have to be SHOWN the way to sustain their faith. Many churches and Christians seem to "not have the time," and all too often don't really think they know HOW to sustain them, and lead them to the fruition of their choice. Both situations or excuses are pretty sad, I think.

Without the "study to show thyself approved" advice we've been given, it's SO easy for the Evil One to return these newbies to their old ways, and for them to release their hold on faith. I think all of Heaven weeps when we allow this to happen. And all they really need to do is do a little regular reading, and just keep their eyes open at what goes on around them. If they do that, they begin to see how and WHY it works as it truly does.

I state this on the basis of having failed some newbies myself, so it's not a criticism of anyone here, but merely a hopeful point to consider, in order that we might better serve the newbies, especially the ones within our own families and circle of friends. It's so often the follow-up that matters SO much in this and many other things. And knowing this makes us prepare ourselves so much better for it, too, and that can only help US as much as it does the newbies.

Following Christ has never been easy, nor an "instant conversion" type of thing. All good things start small and grow. It's up to us to water the garden we've created. It makes US better in the process, and the satisfaction gained is .... well, it's something that has to be experienced to be understood how great it is.