PDA

View Full Version : I'm getting a new rescue dog

Markbo
11-04-2016, 10:34 AM
I need a little feedback.

I lost my long time companion miniature schnauzer this past February and am just now feeling up to finding another small dog. I finally decided on a schnauzer mix. I think he is going to be great. The only thing I don't like is his name - "Robbie" which I want to change. The guidance I need is how did ya'll decide on a dogs name? My last dog - that I still have - I knew I wanted something gun related and chose Colt. Fits him perfectly.

I could go with another gun related name or not for this new little guy. How do ya'll decide? Maybe a pic will help. Photobucket is not working right now, but I will post a pic later when I can - maybe that will help.

Butler Ford
11-04-2016, 10:36 AM
looks like it should be cheap to feed but hard to find

BF

Markbo
11-04-2016, 10:55 AM
Hard to see in this pic, but he is blind in his right eye. He needed to be rescued

Ithaca Gunner
11-04-2016, 11:12 AM
Cute little fellow! No suggestion for a name, but God bless and keep you for giving him a forever home.

runfiverun
11-04-2016, 11:18 AM
I don't even try to name a dog at first.
eventually they just get one or you end up calling them something else anyway.

Pine Baron
11-04-2016, 11:18 AM
Dang if he don't look like a "Robbie" to me.

farmerjim
11-04-2016, 11:46 AM
All our dogs got Old Testament names. Benjamin (Ben) Jacob (Jake) Nebuchadnezzar (Neb)

Boaz
11-04-2016, 11:56 AM
Looks like a fine dog ! Ought to spoil right easy , thanks for helping him out .

smokeywolf
11-04-2016, 12:05 PM
I think he looks like a "Clyde".

bullet maker 57
11-04-2016, 12:16 PM
Blinkie.

Blackwater
11-04-2016, 12:40 PM
NAming dogs ought to be an art form. Maybe it is, actually??? I usually just sit and watch it play, and let some name hit me out of the blue that seems to "fit" that particular dog. My last one before I got my new pup was named "Sugar," and I didn't much like that name at first, but after having her a short time, she was so sweet in disposition that I felt it was one of the most apt names I'd ever had for a dog. If you can figure out naming dogs or children, you're smarter than I am! Just go with your instincts, intuition, and sort out the impulses that result, and make a choice that you feel good about. Just don't feel like you have to name it right away. You may even want to stick with "Robbie." You could do worse, I think.

9w1911
11-04-2016, 12:50 PM
Hard to see in this pic, but he is blind in his right eye. He needed to be rescued

Mr Jeeves

or

Trigger

osteodoc08
11-04-2016, 01:30 PM
Dee Oh Gee
Mono
Primer
Bob

WebMonkey
11-04-2016, 01:39 PM
Boxer (1 hole in the primer pocket)
Patch (over 1 eye or projectile)
Deadeye
Squint (aiming with 1 eye)

Good luck, good post!
;)

hardy
11-04-2016, 01:48 PM
Gotta be "Mauser",the Schnauzer.................Mike

Half Dog
11-04-2016, 01:52 PM
How about "Rooster" as in Rooster Cogburn.

dagger dog
11-04-2016, 02:16 PM
Robbie, short for Rob Roy McGregor a bad dude , Blinker, Winkie, Popeye. You'll find one that fits and that's a good looking woof !

NoAngel
11-04-2016, 02:24 PM
Rescue dogs are the only dogs to get. I loathe and despise breeders. Too many animals need homes now to purposefully breed more.

My last two dogs have been rescues. The only thing with a rescue dog [for me] They just reinforce the fact that I think more of a good dog than 99% of humans on earth.
Would that I had to power; I would leave a swath of blood and death to all those who raise a cruel hand to an animal.

375supermag
11-04-2016, 03:04 PM
Congratulations on the new pup...

He obviously needs a good home and I am sure you will provide that.

Do be aware that in short order it will be his home and you will be relegated to waitstaff status...they take over very quickly.

I know....I have a couple of half-grown Lab pups (18-months old) who rule the estate with paws of iron.

robg
11-04-2016, 03:08 PM
Pirate or flint.well done our dogs a rescue.

Markbo
11-04-2016, 03:48 PM
We have (finally!) decided. In honor of Big Jake McCandles..... Lil Jake. And thanks everyone for the responses. Really put a smile on my face.

FWIW my little Schnauzer was from a breeder, but we found him on the side of the road. They had brought out a playpen on the side of the road with a litter. He came papered and after much consideration his official name was Winston Maximus Einstein, whch carried on both parents names sort of. We called him Einstein. No papers made this one a lot easier.

I am pretty sure any other dog we ever get will be a rescue. I don't show dogs and I dont breed dogs so it is just the right thing to do. And I don't know if its true or not, but I like to think that the dog remembers it's before life and appreciates the good life they have now. I know they make me happy.

jonp
11-04-2016, 05:05 PM
Friend named his Ruger. I think thats close enough to Robbie, who would name a dog that?, for the the dog to be able to adjust quickly.
Congrats on your new friend. Our "rescue" showed up in our yard right after we bought our house and just stayed. Best dog ive ever had

jonp
11-04-2016, 05:07 PM
Looks like im too late! Jake is a good name. My grandfather always said a dogs name should be easy to call out in the woods and a single syllable name was best

jsizemore
11-04-2016, 06:56 PM
Moshe from Moshe Dayan. He was blind in the left eye though. If I get the meaning right it means saved from the water.

richhodg66
11-04-2016, 08:40 PM
I'd have to call him Governor, since he only has one eye.

Good on you for rescuing him, I bet he'll be a great dog.

osteodoc08
11-04-2016, 10:13 PM
My wife picked up a stray on the way home from Florida over the summer. He looks to be between 1-2 years old. He is a pointer mix. I wasn't thrilled about it. We don't need another dog to care for. But he's good with the kids, good with the other dogs, listens fairly well and doesn't potty in the house when we let him come inside. His name is Jake as well.

Ive been training him on simple commands and he picks up fairly fast and loves to run behind me on my ATV. He is love able. I tried to play fetch but if I picked up a stick, he runs. Must have been beat. My boxer loves it and is more for him to run after

Lloyd Smale
11-05-2016, 06:44 AM
don't ask me for name advice. I named my last lab ELMER. Believe it or not a ton of people later said that name fit him to a tee. I would think twice though about renaming a rescue dog. Hes has enough ajustments to make moving into a new home with new owners without confusing him by changing his name.

Markbo
11-05-2016, 02:29 PM

Thanks for the input Lloyd. He was only called Robbie since he was Fostered. They didn't know what his name was before. He is already coming when we call Jake so I think he will be OK. He has a lot to learn obviously. Not humping Maggie and Colt will come with a severe correction by one of them. :D

When they growl at him, he just growls right back. Typical terrier. But they all play and chase and have fun so I think they are gonna be good friends. I've had to work the last 2 nights so we haven't figured out sleeping arrangements yet. Lynda and all 3 dogs took up the bed last night. :D

But we have 2 dog beds in there and the 2 big dogs swap in and out routinely. I am sure they'll figure that out to. I'm very happy. He is a sweet little dog AND he doesn't bark much! A big plus.

OS OK
11-05-2016, 05:07 PM
The pic. someone posted looks like a 'Scofield' to me...a little short of a .45 Colt.

Parson
11-05-2016, 07:05 PM
I told my granddaughter she could name last dog, never again

brstevns
11-06-2016, 08:27 PM
Looks like a ( Whiskers ) to me

scarry scarney
11-07-2016, 05:45 PM
When we adopted our rescue dog, the wife didn't care for the dog's name. I thought it was ok, and suggested the we keep the name, as the dog already answer to the name.

Markbo
11-07-2016, 08:56 PM
Well fellahs, he has caught on to Jake really quickly. Already comes to it. I don't think he is going to have any trouble adjusting!