PDA

View Full Version : 1/2 jacket swaging question

toolz568
11-04-2016, 02:04 AM
I got some 45 jackets that turned out to be half-jackets. I am thinking treat them like a gas-check, but not sure. I could reform them into .40, but I still think they would be short. I have not found much information on half jackets.

Sasquatch-1
11-04-2016, 06:24 AM
I have some of those that I use for .44. For my application they work well. I make a 200 grn HJWC and the jacket come right to where I want to crimp. I do have a dedicated Swag-it style die that is made for lead or half jacket bullets.

I don't think you will be able to take an existing bullet and seat it in the jacket with regular types of dies. At least you won't get any consistency.

I got some 45 jackets that turned out to be half-jackets. I am thinking treat them like a gas-check, but not sure. I could reform them into .40, but I still think they would be short. I have not found much information on half jackets.

toolz568
11-04-2016, 06:58 AM
I have BT's swaging dies, just not sure if I treat them like cast or jacketed.

Sasquatch-1
11-04-2016, 07:23 AM
If you have a point form die that makes a regular ogive type point you can use the with it. I don't think you will have a problem. The problem would evolve if you are making a step bullet like a swc. The jacket would have to be below the step.

I have BT's swaging dies, just not sure if I treat them like cast or jacketed.

runfiverun
11-04-2016, 11:40 AM
treat them like a half jacket.
kind of like a long gas check.
expect a little leading with them.

toolz568
11-05-2016, 03:25 AM
Thanks Runriverrun,
I am not sure I want to put the time into them if they shoot the same as cast. Back on the shelf for another day.

Sasquatch-1
11-05-2016, 06:25 AM
They should shoot like a jacketed bullet. When swaging you should try and leave as little lead showing between the jacket and the step of the bullet. I have shot 1/2 jackets in my Redhawks with no leading and very good accuracy. In a .45 Colt there should be no problem. And they will probably work very well in .45 ACP.

Preacher Jim
11-05-2016, 05:55 PM
They will handle hotter loads than cast but they are not full J word. I have used them for 45 years still use some

runfiverun
11-06-2016, 10:41 AM
I have and still make a lot of half jacket ammo.
it never done anything I couldn't do with a plain ol cast boolit especially if I added a gas check.
it's one redeeming ability is to be able to use dead soft lead and get it up in velocity while maintaining accuracy.
the exposed lead will adhere to your barrel so I end up tumble lubing them anyway.