PDA

View Full Version : Fishing with Mike

WRideout
11-03-2016, 10:04 PM
Fishing with Mike

Matthew 19:14

When I lived in Knoxville, TN, my oldest daughter, Suzanne, was friends with Katrina, a girl down the street. The girls were about thirteen then, but Katrina had a younger brother, Michael. Michael was a cute kid with sandy brown hair, and a perennially happy disposition. Katrina and Michael had parents that were not bad, but they didn’t do much with the kids. One year we took Katrina with us on vacation to Florida, just because we wanted to do something nice for her.

But I still wanted to do something for Michael, too. In a moment of weakness, I offered to take him fishing. Well, I put it off, and was beginning to regret having made the offer. After a while I was really eaten up with guilt that I had never followed through, and so I finally made arrangements to borrow a friend’s canoe, and scheduled a day to take Michael to the local lake.

We arrived at the lake with fishing poles, a tub of worms, and high hopes. Michael quickly got the hang of the J-stroke, and we slowly paddled around the edges of a backwater slough, casting bobbers into likely spots. I was a nice, sunny day, and we never caught a single fish. Michael didn’t seem to care at all, he was just happy to be there. We spent the afternoon at the lake, but finally gave up hope of having fish for dinner. We loaded the canoe on top of my aging station wagon, and went home.

Fast forward about ten years. I was living in PA by then, and only saw my kids when I made the long trip back to Knoxville. On one of those visits I went to see my Suzanne at the restaurant where she waited tables. After a little small talk, she said, “you know, Michael, Katrina’s brother, works here too. Do you want to say hi?” So a few minutes later a stocky muscular young man with a short beard came over. “Hello, Mr. Rideout,” he said, then added “Remember that time you took me fishing?” I was taken aback that after all that time, the most memorable thing for him was the day we didn’t catch anything. We chatted for a few minutes, then shook hands, and left.

Kids are so impressionable; any more I try not to pass up an opportunity to be kind to a young person. You just never know what will stick with them later.

Wayne

Boaz
11-04-2016, 07:23 AM
Thank you . We need constant reminders , many things we take for granted mean much to someone else .

GhostHawk
11-04-2016, 07:48 AM
Good point. I think I can remember every time I got to fish with my Grandpa. Most were nothing special, bluegills, crappie. But I distinctly remember him landing a 5 lb bass on a yellow shannon twin spinner while I was on the oars.

After the bass fishing we would anchor up in a little cove and fish bluegills. He had a pair of 9 foot cane fly rods with automatic reels. Those big hand sized gills felt like monsters. And while I'm catching he's coaching.

"Keep the tip up, keep the line tight, keep a little bend in the rod, but don't push em too hard.
Take your time, it is not a race. Enjoy the fight."

Love you and Miss you John Robert Cain

Pine Baron
11-04-2016, 08:46 AM
This is so true. Kids are an awesome responsibility. Actually our most important responsibility.

Preacher Jim
11-04-2016, 11:14 AM
time shared with kids is doubly blessed. they never forget.

Blackwater
11-04-2016, 12:15 PM
Kids that learn to enjoy the outdoors learn a lot about life, reality, cost and benefit, trial and effort, and how things work in this world, and I think this is the reason the ones that grow up in the woods and on the waters tend greatly to become much better men than those who never get to know even one good fishing trip. To the young, it's magical. I remember the first time Dad took me to our little Ogeechee river. It looked almost like a Tarzan movie could be filmed there! And I was fascinated, and HOOKED as well.

I've loved that small river ever since. I think I was 7 when I was first introduced to it. It's the reason I love the swamps today. So full of life! The libs have taken the salt water estuaries as a "project" for their ministrations, care and sensibilities. But those same idjit libs tend to look at swamps as horrible places! Never do they realize that they're just our fresh water "estuaries!"

There's much to be learned in a swamp or on a river - responsibility, anticipation of what you're going to need ahead of time, so you can not only survive, but prosper in the swamps, and so much more. It really introduces them to the realities of this finite and consequential world we live in more than any other thing they can pursue and learn to love. It's a tool for growing good men - kind'a like fertilizer to a garden.

Never miss a chance to take a kid fishing, hunting or shooting. It's magic to them. As a matter of fact, it's still magic to ME! And when you can enjoy the trip even if you get skunked, you know you're hooked, and that's a GOOD thing! Big time!

WRideout
11-04-2016, 10:50 PM
I took both my nephews shooting with me, starting at age seven. I enjoyed it as much as they did. The reason I posted this one in Our Chapel, is because I believe it is our God-given duty to nurture our kids (or the kids we have around us.)

Wayne

Blackwater
11-05-2016, 12:19 PM
Amen, Wayne! Amen! And where else can we take them but "outside" to see God's handiwork, and learn to appreciate, and begin to understand it? People who understand how and a little about why God has so richly blessed us have little trouble following Him. Those who only know concrete and steel and man's labors, have a very difficult time understanding God and how benevolent and loving He's truly been to us all.

Also, kids seem to universally love a little adventure. It grows confidence and judgment within them, and makes them appreciate the importance and effect of consequences, and of preparation and anticipation. It just makes for great lessons in life itself, and can be expanded outward to all aspects and situations within their lives. It just makes it so much easier for them to grow straight and strong and good. And when we're old, like I am now, it's SO humbling to see the fruition of all this coming to pass, and good men coming up. It's the most humbling and satisfying thing any man can possibly know. Praise God for all the Goodness He has so generously and lovingly supplied to us. And there's nothing any of us could ever do to deserve any of it!