PDA

View Full Version : Well, i got a mold but not what i wanted

Rp-
11-03-2016, 10:38 AM
Picked up a lee 90309 mold in a trade. Its a 125gr rn design but has a lube groove. I'd like to take the lube groove out though as i plan to powder coat. Anyone have any experience doing this with this mold? Or with any mold for that matter?

Am i better off just trading it off or selling and buying what i want?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Tapatalk

bdicki
11-03-2016, 10:41 AM
I would try it like it is.

NoAngel
11-03-2016, 11:09 AM
If you're like most of us, you won't be happy unless you get what you want...BUT, it's not going to make a difference. That bullet will coat and shoot just fine as is.

dverna
11-03-2016, 11:28 AM
I am in the camp that says try it first. If it works, what difference does it make?

It will cost you you more to have the groove machined out than the mold is worth.

Don Verna

nagantguy
11-03-2016, 11:38 AM
I'd put money on it shooting fine as is.

toallmy
11-03-2016, 11:47 AM
Try it out as is . Can't hurt .

Rp-
11-03-2016, 11:53 AM
Ok. Ill give it a try. Im gonna fire up one of the pots i got this weekend and try cadti g a few and see how they come out. If all goes well maybe ill cast up a few hundred. I just finished processing about 60 pounds (net) of lead wheel weights.

I guess my next question is: should i trust someone else to powder coat these for me? Or should i just get the stuff and do it myself?

country gent
11-03-2016, 12:13 PM
I would deffinitly try it first and see how it works out. The groove can be removed with a decimil reamer. Measure the cavity with the blocks in a small vise and buy that size hand reammer - .001. You can easily ream the groove out by hand with the reamer. Work by hand slow and easy with lots of cutting oil to lubricate the reamer. The waterless hand cleaners work good for cutting lubricant in aluminum, as does beeswax or black oil. Watch the depth you cut to and only remove the groove from the mould.

GrayTech
11-03-2016, 01:32 PM
Ok. Ill give it a try. Im gonna fire up one of the pots i got this weekend and try cadti g a few and see how they come out. If all goes well maybe ill cast up a few hundred. I just finished processing about 60 pounds (net) of lead wheel weights.

I guess my next question is: should i trust someone else to powder coat these for me? Or should i just get the stuff and do it myself?

Try the "shake and bake" method. It's fast, cheap and easy.

475AR
11-03-2016, 01:33 PM
If you do decide to get the lube groove removed, contact Erik at hollowpoint molds erik@hollowpointmold.com he can remove it. His price to do it is reasonable and he does great work. I have had several molds done by him and he also does a great hollow point mold conversion as well.

Rp-
11-03-2016, 05:47 PM
Try the "shake and bake" method. It's fast, cheap and easy.
The problem isnt doing it... The problem is convincing my wife to LET me do it!

Between gunsmithing, metal and electronic scrapping, reloading, nickel and copper plating, video games, and constant gun trading.... Shes not going to be too keen on me buying stuff to start powder coating! If i can find someone willing to do it (or let me come "rent" their stuff), then i will. If i cant find anyone ill just have to give up something to make room for coating i suppose.

Soundguy
11-03-2016, 05:55 PM
DIY can be done with about 20$ startup cost. I'm gonna try it tomorrow. Pound of 5$ powder, 5$ garage sale toaster oven, etc..

RogerDat
11-03-2016, 06:05 PM

Between gunsmithing, metal and electronic scrapping, reloading, nickel and copper plating, video games, and constant gun trading.... Shes not going to be too keen on me buying stuff to start powder coating! If i can find someone willing to do it (or let me come "rent" their stuff), then i will. If i cant find anyone ill just have to give up something to make room for coating i suppose.

Couple of #5 plastic bowls with lids, roll of aluminum foil and a small toaster oven for a few bucks from local salvation army or thrift store. She will hardly notice.... and you wife won't yell at me if she does :mrgreen:

You might want to put an area in your profile so that people in your area who might let you come over and do a batch will know that you are near them. I don't put an exact location, most don't, but enough for someone in that part of the state to know we are fairly near to each other. "City Area" or "South East My-State" you get the idea. Then folks in your area can send you a Private Message and work something out. Exchanging phone numbers or addresses using the Private Message between you two rather than sharing with the whole board or world.

Guy who posted a scrap find and a local restaurant he went to for dinner I PM'd him because I live near that restaurant, turns out he is right down the road from me.

GrayTech
11-03-2016, 07:16 PM

You will need:
1 plastic sour cream container or similar - must have the "5" recycle symbol underneath ( Per color)
2 a small bottle of black plastic bb's
3 powder (high gloss tends to work best for this method)
4 boolits
5 a small toaster or convection oven.
6 five minutes to shake the container with the bb's, powder and boolits in it.
7 five minutes to stand the coated boolits on the oven tray.
Total cost is maybe $30-40.

frkelly74
11-03-2016, 07:42 PM
I was luck enough to pick up a toaster oven from the curb and it is just the thing to powder coat with. I did find that it was less trouble for me to make a rack out of 1/4" hardware cloth instead of the foil liner. Shake and bake.

Rp-
11-03-2016, 07:43 PM
I know what all i need and how to do it. You guys are missing the point about the wife though... She doesnt see things like us! But i might ve able to convince her. She wasnt thrilled i got the mold and the 2 melting pots but she did agree later that it was probably a good investment...

Rp-
11-03-2016, 07:44 PM
Couple of #5 plastic bowls with lids, roll of aluminum foil and a small toaster oven for a few bucks from local salvation army or thrift store. She will hardly notice.... and you wife won't yell at me if she does :mrgreen:

You might want to put an area in your profile so that people in your area who might let you come over and do a batch will know that you are near them. I don't put an exact location, most don't, but enough for someone in that part of the state to know we are fairly near to each other. "City Area" or "South East My-State" you get the idea. Then folks in your area can send you a Private Message and work something out. Exchanging phone numbers or addresses using the Private Message between you two rather than sharing with the whole board or world.

Guy who posted a scrap find and a local restaurant he went to for dinner I PM'd him because I live near that restaurant, turns out he is right down the road from me.
Sorry. I havent been on this site long and have done it mostly from my phone. Ill see if i can log on from My work computer and update my info.

Soundguy
11-03-2016, 07:52 PM
It takes poking, but you can do it from your phone. 99.999% of my browsing is via phone.