PDA

View Full Version : Hawk Throwing Getting Started

KCSO
11-03-2016, 10:37 AM
First you need a hawk! What you choose will depend on what games you want to play and what stunts you want to do.
For example splitting an oak block at 15 feet is going to be better done with a hevier hawk and a heavy hawk is not going to be right for throwing at 80 feet unless you have arms like a gorilla. Our club like many other throws at a playing car at a minimum distance of 12 feet and the hawk cutting edge must be 4" or less, 5 throws and a stick is 1 point a cut on the card is 2 points and 3 points for cutting a slice off the card.

For a novice I would say that a 2 1/2" blade with a medium heavy head will be the easiest to stick. Shy away from those real cheap made in stackipani hawks. I have seen the blades latterly fold on hitting a hard block. To start with a shorter 16" handle will be easier to control but a 18-19" handle will give you a little more distance. I like a sharp blade and keep mine sharp enough to slice paper.

(note: If you really want to mess with a rival thrower, tell him to wax his blade for a deeper cut... the waxed blade will stick in the block for a couple seconds and then pop out. The compressed wood just squeezes it right out.)

I use mostly Track hawks or cold steel with a hammer poll but I do have some real hand forged hawks, one by me and one by Joe DeLaronde. The DeLaronde is a small trappers ax style and it weighs about 2 1/2 pounds and this is the one I split the oak chunk with and it will stick in anything. My handles are cut to 18 and 19" exactly and for trick throwing I use matched New Reliables from Track. Get the good stuff and it will last a lifetime.

Next you need something to throw at. Since I live in the country and burn wood I usually just cut a section of tree trunk about 3 foot across from either old maple or cottonwood. My indoor block for knife throwing is made from 6 inch sections of 2X lumber clamped and glued together. I use all thread and 2x for the clamps and it will stand up to a year or so of heavy use before it splits up and goes into the stove.

Whatever you choose make sure you have a clear background for when you miss, and you will miss!

Next shot the actual throwing! Before you start on that watch Glen Ford in The Fastest Gun Alive, he has the real secret...practice! Hours every day.

johniv
11-03-2016, 05:58 PM
Thanks KCSO. I have a hawk that I will work with/ I will see how close it comes to your recommendations. Now to set up a target and start throwing again. Thanks for your help and encouragement.
John

HABCAN
11-03-2016, 06:33 PM
I'll be watching this thread...........:smile:

Alstep
11-04-2016, 11:40 AM
I'm listening.

GhostHawk
11-04-2016, 09:10 PM
Both ears wide open.

starmac
11-06-2016, 11:52 PM
I have never watched any actual hawk throwing, but have watched the axe throwing competitions at loggers rodeos. Them guys are generally good, and I imagine their throwing axes are straight up top of the line like the ones they use in the different axe cutting competitions. You can shave with them babys.