PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
11-03-2016, 06:37 AM
When Saul arrived in Jerusalem, he tried to meet with the believers, but they were all afraid of him. They did not believe he had truly become a believer!—Acts 9:26 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=e0302d29d5&e=3dd732485b)When Saul left Damascus, he returned to Jerusalem, where he had presided over the martyrdom of Stephen. Did he receive a hero's welcome from his fellow believers? Did they hear he had become a believer and say, "The notorious Christian-killer, Saul, is one of us now. Let's welcome him"?

No. They didn't even believe he had been converted.

I wonder how many this is true of today. They come to Christ and attend church for the first time, and no one welcomes them. Maybe they get a cold shoulder from someone. Maybe they get a mean look. Maybe they wore the wrong T-shirt with the wrong slogan that day.

Come on. Can we be patient with people? Can we recognize that when someone is a new believer, they will be a little rough around the edges? What are we are expecting? I wonder if we have people like Saul who come into our churches and never make that transition.

In Saul's life, that is where Barnabas came in. (By the way, the name Barnabas means "son of encouragement"). "Then Barnabas brought him to the apostles and told them how Saul had seen the Lord on the way to Damascus and how the Lord had spoken to Saul. He also told them that Saul had preached boldly in the name of Jesus in Damascus" (Acts 9:27 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://3)).

Apparently Barnabas had some credibility with the apostles, because they seemed to accept what he had to say. He put it all on the line and backed Saul's story because it was true.

We need more people like Barnabas today—people who know how to lift someone up, people who know how to comfort a person and motivate a person. That is what Barnabas did for Saul. And that is what we need to do as well.

USMC87
11-03-2016, 07:30 AM
This is all too familiar today in our time, I have witnessed one come in and be shunned by some for whatever reasons they have. I'm so thankful GOD is not prejudice in the ways that humans are, Great lesson and Thanks for posting this!

Blackwater
11-03-2016, 10:41 AM
Great post, and USMC's comments are SO apt! I too have seen it, and always tried to make those folks feel welcome, and let them know that folks were mostly just afraid of them, and encouraged them to not let it bother them too terribly much. We Christians sometimes make it hard for someone who's been walking on the wild side to really come to faith, simply because of fear. I've seen our fears do more damage than the things that originally contributed to some people's choosing to take the wrong path. It's good to hear others see and try to overcome this. Thanks, USMC.

One other thing I've noted is that in many black churches, there's more of a tendency to accept people from "the other side" more freely, but even then, there's some measure of distrust and doubt, unless and until they have proven the change is real and heartfelt. It's one of the things that we Christians often need to work on. No, we can't go assuming too much, for many respond initially, but go back to their waywardness. But while in church, we often need to treat these types differently and better than we do. Christ had the advantage of knowing more certainly than we can ever know, what will be, but real Christianity still needs to accept these folks differently than we commonly do. It can make or break some of them.

Most criminals and ne'er do wells are that way because they basically just don't have much real "grit" within them, and take "the easy way out" whatever befalls them. If we make it easy for them to stray, part of whatever they do thereafter MUST fall on our shoulders. We need to be aware of all the possibilities, of course, but we need to provide them more encouragement than we often do. Sometimes, they just need to find the right church, and FWIW, the charismatics seem to be more in tune with this than many more "conventional" church types. I've seen this too many times to not recognize it, and just feel compelled to say something about it, lest the opportunity be lost, and more folks continue to be "stand offish" when one tries to go straight. The initial effort sometimes is the critical one for them, and "I knew they'd never accept me" is the traditional way that the weak always tend to respond to a lack of acceptance of guys who try to go straight.

Don't be foolish, of course, but don't be too "stand offish" with these. They're really in a very delicate place, and a little word here and there, and some heartfelt trust, insofar as you can offer it, can go a long way. And do NOT bring up their past! That's what they fear from us most, I think! Just try to welcome them genuinely, and let them know you know how hard it must have been for them to make their profession or take that step, and just let them know if they need help or someone to talk to, you're available. It can matter more than you probably know.

It's not God's will that any be lost, and it's our duty to try, as best as we know how, to bring more to light, and maybe especially those who have been serving the Evil One and giving in to his many temptations. Just being stand offish with them can return them to the Evil One's minions. If you don't know what to say, just say "I'm proud of you and what you've done. Welcome to my church," and let it go at that. It matters, and it can matter enough to be a determinant for them.

This world is not an "us against them" proposition, and Christ obviously told us to cast our bread upon ALL the waters, and let any who'll respond into the fold of believers. Those who are weak, and just beginning their journey in Christ, need to be treated a bit tenderly, so as to not ruin or spurn their initial efforts. What we Christians do matters SO much! And we've been given the best advice and directions possible, but too often, our fears and rationalizations therefor tend to prevent us from doing what Christ commanded us to do. And that's a darn shame, and we'll probably answer for our acts of that type one day. So don't be foolish, but there's no advancement of Christ's mission without SOME risk, so be wise, and be truly Christian. And when you smile, mean it. If you can't smile, just be seriously appreciative of how difficult it must have been for them, and offer your appreciation and respect. They've probably earned it more than you'll ever know.

Boaz
11-03-2016, 08:00 PM
A good lesson . I have been tried . Folks you know that have ....problems . We are to be accepting , encouraging but not fools . If anyone is trying to get right , atone , turn around they deserve encouragement and forgiveness. It can be hard if you know their history but you have to help them . They need help .