PDA

View Full Version : Gun sales soaring as election looms, manufacturer says

Uncle Jimbo
11-02-2016, 05:46 PM
Found this in my travels on the net today. Found if interesting but not surprising.

NEW YORK (CNNMoney) — A major manufacturer says gun sales are surging because of the presidential campaign.
Sturm, Ruger (http://www.ruger-firearms.com/?utm_source=viz&utm_medium=viz.referral&utm_campaign=viz.ref&utm_viz_id=jOlghJwQ8x7&utm_pubreferrer=stage-v2.ksl.com%2F) reported that sales jumped by a third, to $161.4 million, in the quarter ended Oct. 1 compared with the same period last year. Earnings rose 66 percent. The company's stock rose 2 percent in early trading Wednesday.
The company said sales are up across the industry, based on FBI data on background checks, which tend to rise and fall along with sales.
Sales were "likely bolstered by the political campaign for next week's election," Chris Killoy, the Sturm, Ruger executive who will take over as CEO next year, said on a conference call Wednesday.
Gun manufacturers and enthusiasts are more worried about a Hillary Clinton presidency than a Donald Trump presidency. Clinton has proposed reinstating an assault weapons ban, expanding background checks and holding gun manufacturers and dealers legally accountable for gun violence.

Asked about Clinton by CNNMoney during an August earnings call, outgoing CEO Michael Fifer said it was a unique time because a presidential nominee was "actively campaigning against the lawful commerce in arms."
On Wednesday, Fifer declined to provide sales projections based on who wins the White House. But he told CNNMoney that "we have a plan in place and will act decisively and accordingly" no matter who wins the presidency or which party controls Congress.
"We would like to encourage all of our customers and all Americans to have their voice heard and to vote in next week's election," said Fifer. "There's a lot at stake."

New gun models

Sturm, Ruger also attributed the strong quarterly sales to its introduction of new gun models, including an AR-15 semiautomatic military rifle called the AR-556 and compact semiautomatic pistols called the LCP II and the LC9.
Both those types of gun have been popular in recent years. Compact pistols are favored for self-protection because they're suitable for concealed carry. AR-15s and other so-called assault rifles have sold particularly well because enthusiasts fear more gun restrictions.
AR-15s have been used in some of the deadliest mass shootings in the United States, including the massacres at an elementary school (https://www.ksl.com/?sid=37734196&nid=157&fm=most_popular&s_cid=popular-9) in Newtown, Connecticut, in 2012 and the Pulse nightclub (http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=40182353) in Orlando, Florida, in June.
Asked for sales projections regarding AR-15s and compact pistols, Fifer said the products most "at risk" from politics have the most volatile sales.

Court vacancy

Gun enthusiasts and the National Rifle Association have also worried about the future of the Supreme Court since the death in February (http://www.ksl.com/?sid=38497363&nid=157) of Justice Antonin Scalia. He wrote the 2008 decision, District of Columbia v. Heller, that upheld the Second Amendment right to keep guns in the nation's capital.
The seat remains vacant, meaning the next president could be the one to appoint Scalia's successor.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=42066507&nid=157&title=gun-sales-soaring-as-election-looms-manufacturer-says

lefty o
11-02-2016, 06:14 PM
absolutely no surprise, guns sales increase, ammo, etc. fear absolutely drives the market. obamma is and has been the best gun and ammo salesman in history, just think what the hildabeast would do to sales.

kingstrider
11-02-2016, 06:20 PM
I went to my LGS today to see if they would order a handgun. All their distributors were out so looks like I'll be waiting.

Parson
11-02-2016, 06:28 PM
No surge here, shelves and cases are full and sales are slow, even shotguns and rifles in spite of bird season been going for a couple months and deer starts Friday

osteodoc08
11-02-2016, 09:07 PM
I did order a new IWI X95. For y'all not familiar, it is an Israeli bull pup in 5.56 NATO. Shorter than most AR SBRs and still legal without a stamp. Full 16" barrel for ballistic advantage over 8-10" AR SBRs. Just in case.......or at least that's how I justified it to myself.

samari46
11-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Seems like every time a presidential election comes around this happens. Does not suprise me in the least. Was in our local wally world these last two weeks and don't seeing either ammo or guns flying off the shelves. But did see the quote about gun sales and ammo mentioned on MSN this evening. Frank

375supermag
11-03-2016, 10:33 AM
Hi...

Been doing my part...I bought three handguns and a rifle this fall and have another handgun on order.
Going to a gunshow on Saturday with my son...no telling what I might find there.
Pretty well stocked up on primers and powder...probably should look for a good deal on cast bullets for the handguns. I still need to get an order together for some new revolver brass...I have lots but it wouldn't hurt to get a supply of new brass for the big-bore revolvers.

dterninko
11-03-2016, 10:43 AM
I've noticed around here shelves are lighter than normal. 22 is really low but still there. Loads more people in the shops and much less inventory

michael.birdsley
11-03-2016, 11:31 AM
Cabelas in Mid Michigan had shelves full of reloading components and Ammo. Plenty of .22 lr. Picked up a box of plain Jane federals for 2.99 ( should have bought one more). Bought 1000 Winchester large rifle and 1000 sellier and Beloit small pistol primers. So far I have 4000 large rifle primers and 8000 small pistol primers. With all the hours I am working I don't have much time to shoot so i figure it will last me while. I'm debating on buying another 1,000 of each before Tuesday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lefty o
11-03-2016, 01:22 PM
dont have to clean off the shelves to make a huge impact in sales. just think one or two extra guns sold per week in every gunshop across the country. thats huge sales increase.

lightman
11-03-2016, 03:10 PM
Thats not a real surprise. I've noticed that the inventories of the on-line places that I buy components from are constantly changing. Alliant powder and Winchester brass are scarce.

Four-Sixty
11-04-2016, 04:35 AM
I like to look at revolvers on Buds. Their inventory is vanishing!

W.R.Buchanan
11-05-2016, 01:12 PM
In CA the sales of AR's is off the charts mainly due to the impending restrictions on them coming in Jan.

I went to a Crossroads Guns show last weekend in Ventura CA and there was easily 2000 AR's of every configuration there for sale. It was also the first time that I had seen 80% lowers for sale there, as they will be outlawed here in Jan as well.

Everybody was in serious "inventory reduction mode" due to these new laws coming.

I have to tell you guys if you see this KRAP coming to your state you need to Organize and nip it in the bud.

If Trump Wins there will be a shift in the mentality of America back to the conservative side and as such many of the gun grabbers will have to go dormant until the next time they seize power.

I predict the next time they get in will be the end of the 2 A. If they get in this time we will probably have to fight.

Who knows at this point?

Randy

Randy Bohannon
11-05-2016, 01:53 PM
My state saw this nonsense coming after BHO's first term. Passed no license required to carry if over 21 and not a criminal also Fed's will be arrested if they infringe on any legal citizens 2A rights.Wyoming is still a free state we have kicked the Fed's *** more than once.

Walkingwolf
11-05-2016, 02:37 PM
I like to look at revolvers on Buds. Their inventory is vanishing!

I am increasing the number of revolvers in my safe. Most likely revolvers will be left alone for the remainder of my lifetime.

Wis. Tom
11-06-2016, 02:00 PM
I am here to tell you that if I would have had an extra $1300 in my pocket the other day at Cabela's, I would be the owner of a 629 Hunter Performance Center 44 mag with a red dot and a 7.5" barrel. My mistake was I asked to pick it up, bad move. I don't know if anyone here, owns one, but it felt really good and comfortable to me.