PDA

View Full Version : Question regarding redding dies

stanford
11-02-2016, 04:47 PM
I have always used Lee and maybe Rcbs every so often. Not too long ago I was looking at some redding dies from midway. Supposedly they are really good for .308 and .223 brass. Can someone elaborate on this for me, is it worth getting a set of these small size dies for working my 308 and 223 brass?

Thanks...

GONRA
11-02-2016, 05:56 PM
GONRA has been very happy with RCBS "small base" dies for these calibers.
Bet Redding would do Just Fine too!

stanford
11-03-2016, 09:34 AM
GONRA has been very happy with RCBS "small base" dies for these calibers.
Bet Redding would do Just Fine too!

I never truly understood the difference with small base dies compared to regular dies, I will have to do some more reading. I guess what got my attention with these dies is when I read that they work really well with 308 military brass.

GONRA, don't you post over in the 5x7 forum? I have seen your name over there with the same style of posting.

lightman
11-03-2016, 10:06 AM
I have a few sets on Redding dies and they work great. It just happens that I have them in 223 and 308, among others. I'm not sure that they do anything that my RCBS dies won't do, but they are good dies.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-03-2016, 10:20 AM
I never truly understood the difference with small base dies compared to regular dies, I will have to do some more reading. I guess what got my attention with these dies is when I read that they work really well with 308 military brass.

Stanford--Regular reloading dies don't size the last 1/4-1/2 inch of the brass above the shell holder quite back to factory/arsenal specs. Small base dies are made to do that, and are recommended for reloading ammo that will be used in semi-auto or full auto firearms for reliability purposes. I've used the RCBS version for years with great results.

243winxb
11-03-2016, 10:26 AM
Some military brass, fired in a different rifle than yours, may need small base dies.

What type of rifle actions are you loading for? May make a difference in selection of dies.

stanford
11-03-2016, 06:42 PM
I will be loading for semi, not sure if I will get into bolt later on. Looks like I will be checking on midway to get some small base dies for my rifles.

Thanks again for the help guys, that's why I really like this site.

-Stanford

M-Tecs
11-03-2016, 06:49 PM
Good basics here. http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2015/05/intro-to-full-length-dies-neck-sizing-dies-and-small-base-dies/

While I have small base dies I have never needed them and using them when not needed may shorten brass life.

country gent
11-03-2016, 07:04 PM
REdding dies are good and normally very accurate. I use the redding full length bushing dies in 223,243, and 308. I really like the neck bushings as they allow me to size to just what I need for that batch of brass not overworking it by sizing downand then expanding back up. On the .243 match rifle neck tension did prove to make a diffrence in mid and long range groups scores. They are a little more expensive but I believe worth the extra.

Petrol & Powder
11-03-2016, 07:25 PM
I use Redding dies for rifle cartridges and I have a few Redding carbide dies for pistol calibers. They are Excellent dies!

However, that's not to say other dies are inferior. I also use other dies such as RCBS and they are very good dies as well.

762sultan
11-03-2016, 07:27 PM
Before I would order one from Midway I would look at EBAY . I just looked and there are 308 and 223 listed and you can buy just the sizer without getting the seater die. So unless you need the whole set ,it could save you a few bucks. I have used the 30-06 SB set for a 760 Remington that has a tight chamber and it made a big difference in smooth chambering. Military brass is stiffer but I have used RCBS SB dies and have good success in 308 that I reload LC brass for my M1A. So I suppose that it depends on the type of gun you are loading and how precise your loading is. Let us know how you make out and I look forward to the solution you come up with. I'm sure you will get more info from others and some of it will answer your questions.

Petrol & Powder
11-03-2016, 11:24 PM
You can buy individual dies direct from Redding as well.

noylj
11-04-2016, 01:10 AM
The only Redding dies that I have found to be "superior" are the Redding Profile Crimp Dies for roll crimping.
Dies are NOT that critical to accuracy and, if you are satisfied with what you have, keep using them. I would rather put money into a concentricity gage and "correcting" tool then in new dies.

AZ Pete
11-06-2016, 05:21 PM
I have not needed small base dies for any of the semi-auto rifles I have loaded for. Unless your individual rifle requires them, save your money.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Artful
11-06-2016, 06:12 PM
I had to buy both 223 and 308 SB sizer die, in my experience it may be needed with some rifles
- it was not needed on all my rifles.

But at one point I just made it a point to do all brass that came in in them to avoid any possible problems.