PDA

View Full Version : New to me RCBS Pro-melt

Leaker11
11-02-2016, 01:54 AM
I just got a melting pot from my brother in law. He had got it from someone else but never used it. I am less than newb at this as just gathering equipment now. My question is, What should I do with the existing lead in pot as I received it? Since I have no idea what it is. Should I pour it and mix with other lead that I've collected?
thanks

PbHurler
11-02-2016, 06:22 AM
I'd melt it, pour it out (into ingots) then you could do a "relative" hardness test by comparing an indent between one of these ingots and a known alloy ingot, by sandwiching a ball bearing between the two ingots in a vice. That'd give you a relative idea, then you could ally it with what you've got on hand (to shoot it up). It's not too important (IMO) if you're mixing alloy for "general purpose" boolits.

You could have the alloy analyzed with an XRF gun to determine the contents of the alloy. But with as little as you're talking about, I'd not get too concerned about the actual content unless you're that curious about it.

That's my 2cents

daloper
11-02-2016, 07:05 AM
When my uncle gave me his pot it also had some lead in it. I just took ingots that I tested the hardness on with the Lee tester and added that to the pot and started casting. If there is not to much in the pot to begin with I think it should be fine. You could always stick something in to see if the lead in it is soft and if it seems soft cast in ingots and check hardness after awhile like PbHurler suggested.

Hardcast416taylor
11-02-2016, 02:03 PM
When I am `gifted` already cast lead ingots with either LEE, Saeco or Lyman on them I mark them with a black marker with a large question mark and store them away from everything else till I get the time to find out what each of them really might be.Robert

Dragonheart
11-02-2016, 02:04 PM
First and foremost learn about the hazards of lead before proceeding with anything. Your health and the health of your family, especially children, can be very much at risk if adequate precautions are not taken.

If you have an RCBS Pro Melt Pot that works, few would argue that you have the best pot on the market. The lead in the pot is of so little consequence in the scope of things it just doesn't make any difference what the alloy is and I wouldn't spend a minute fooling with it. I personally would heat the pot and pour the lead into ingots to possibly be used at a later date. I would then remove the downrod and handle and give the pot a thorough cleaning, especially the spout. Once again, learn how to do this safely.

You should decide on the direction you want to go in the casting process. Are you into casting for the long haul or just curious? That decision will tell you the direction to go in acquiring molds, other equipment, etc.

Then are you going to lube or coat the bullets? I went with powder coating several years ago and for me it is the best decision I could have made. You will need to decide for yourself and there is a world of information and misinformation on this site for you to sift through. Finding a qualified mentor is the best thing possible as that can shorten the learning curve to almost nothing and get you started safely.

Walter Laich
11-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Pro-Melt is a great pot.

As to the lead in there, the question is are you planning on shooting the hottest loads possible in rifle/pistol or are you aiming (pun) to load middle of the road ammo for plinking?

for middle of the road stuff almost any lead short of dead soft will work. powder coating on top of that is all the better.

Go on and start casting some bullets and once you have that under control you can address sizing and lubing or powder coating

DerekP Houston
11-02-2016, 03:17 PM
I just got a melting pot from my brother in law. He had got it from someone else but never used it. I am less than newb at this as just gathering equipment now. My question is, What should I do with the existing lead in pot as I received it? Since I have no idea what it is. Should I pour it and mix with other lead that I've collected?
thanks

What's the "other lead" composition and the intended use? I'd be tempted to just try it out as is for pistol rounds.

Considering you are just starting out they will probably get remelted over and over anyways :D.

casac47
11-02-2016, 03:30 PM
Invest in a thermometer. When you start casting, you'll want to know the temperature of the lead.

Leaker11
11-02-2016, 03:35 PM
Thanks for the input guys. I'm new at reloading also so I've only been loading off the minimum of powder charges so I guess I'll just make it into ingots and then use it in the molds I don't have yet. I think I'll get a .358 RNFP mold and do it up.
Thanks casac I don't have a thermometer I'll have to get one of those.

ncbearman
11-02-2016, 03:48 PM
Cast em' and shoot em'………… I prefer .45's myself My Colt will eat anything.

No Blue
11-05-2016, 07:26 PM
Once you melt out the lead, let it cool and pull the supply valve out and take a pic of that and post it. I'm curious what it looks like, plus you really want to verify everything is OK down there anyway...

Leaker11
11-05-2016, 09:26 PM
Thanks No Blue I'll probably empty it tomorrow. Is there anything I have to do to get all the lead out. Never done this before. Or should it all just pour out and the valve will be free moving?

Dragonheart
11-06-2016, 11:56 AM
Yes, this link will telly you haw to clean your Pro melt to almost new condition. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?301700-Cleaning-a-Casting-Pot