PDA

View Full Version : Flat black Molybdenum Disulfide and Loc-Tite

Naphtali
06-12-2008, 12:37 PM
For the query I refer to a bake-on surface similar to what is done to M-16 rifle exterior parts. I have discovered two companies who claim to apply a similar surface with .0003-inch build-up. This translates to being able to apply to a reciprocating/moving part and have no problem with the part functioning correctly.

One of Moly-D's benefits is a reduced friction surface that becomes more nearly friction free under load. Loc-Tite -- the version that allows the screw to which it is applied to be removed -- is intended to bind male and female screw surfaces when air is not present.

Will Loc-Tite keep screws and screw holes having Moly-D surfaces bound in place?

If Loc-Tite becomes ineffective, please suggest something that will bind screws securely yet can allow screws to be removed.

SPRINGFIELDM141972
06-12-2008, 03:36 PM
A drop of iodine on the screw threads will cause a high grade rust much like the old browning on muzzle-loaders. Many people nearly have heart attack at the thought of intentionally introducing rust to their guns but, I have never had a problem removing a screw with this application, nor have I had one back out on its own. I hope this helps.

Regards,
Everett

MtGun44
06-12-2008, 11:13 PM
I have read that the drill rifle versions of Trapdoor Springfields were
made permanently inoperable by putting a couple of drops of iodine
on the firing pin. Apparently replacing the breechblock is the only
fix, impossible to free up the firing pin later.

Putting it on a gun screw would scare the daylights out of me, but
if it works for you - have at it. I've never tried it, so the above is just
ancient hearsay.

Bill

S.R.Custom
06-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Will Loc-Tite keep screws and screw holes having Moly-D surfaces bound in place?

Yep. Just stick to the LocTite blue. ;)