PDA

View Full Version : I rediscovered .......

Boaz
11-01-2016, 07:39 PM
I baked some nice pork steak on a rack Monday and just rubbed salt and black pepper on them . Dang it ! They were really good , been a while since I did it old style ! I am always looking for some new spice/ingredient to 'improve' on what I know or use to but simple can be dang good . I see more pork steak in our near future !

Uncle Jimbo
11-01-2016, 08:13 PM
Some times plain and simple is best.

MaryB
11-01-2016, 11:38 PM
I toss pork steak on the smoker at 225 until tender, just simple salt and pepper to let the pork flavor shine through. I sometimes put it on a rack over a pan of kraut in the smoker so the pork fat drips into the kraut to flavor it. Serve the kraut over mashed potatoes with lots of extra butter.

Preacher Jim
11-02-2016, 09:49 AM
you can't beat a good pork steak any way you fix it but plain is still great flavor.

borg
11-03-2016, 10:20 AM
NO garlic?

Blackwater
11-03-2016, 08:26 PM
You have a great point, Boaz, especially with respect to pork, I think. I too like to "jazz up" lots of stuff I cook, but when I've done that a while, I always love to go back to the plain, natural taste of pork and lots of other stuff, beef steaks included. Variety is, after all, the biggest spice in life! And each taste compliments and enhances the others, too. We should probably be more grateful for the tremendous varieties of foods we have today. It hasn't always been that way.

I remember asking my aunts and uncles how they lived during the Depression, and they all shrugged, and said, "We just lived like we'd always done. We grew our own vegetables and harvested our own corn, and had it ground into grits, and raised our own livestock and poultry. We lived pretty good, really." I remember her words more and more these days. Simple appreciation tends to make any food taste better, too, really. Amazing, but true.

Col4570
11-04-2016, 03:27 AM
I enjoy Belly Pork,well cooked until crisp in the Oven,a pinch of Salt and Pepper is all it needs.And Pork Steak is to die for.Simply cooked,mashed Potatoes and Beans.

44man
11-12-2016, 11:15 AM
Carol breads chops and was complaining about fatter ones hidden under lean ones. She made them yesterday and I never had such juicy ones. I hate dry chops or hard crisp bacon.
It was one of the few times I cut pork and seen juice running.
But she complains about bacon with too much fat too. I hate beef or venison cooked to a bone too.
Meat must melt in your mouth and not need chewed a week.
Pork the same.

44man
11-12-2016, 11:18 AM
Salt and pepper, tossed in hot butter. Leave some fat on the pork. Never skin beef to only meat either.

MaryB
11-13-2016, 12:24 AM
Fat = flavor and nothing beats that crisp rendered fat on the edge of a pan fried pork chop! Breaded in seasoned flour so it is thin breading, fried in oil that almost cover the chops. Pour off the excess oil and add a little more seasoned flour to make a roux then add pork stock or chicken stock to make gravy! Mashed potatoes on the side! If you don't have any homemade stock handy I have used the chicken or ham base from Better than Bouillon http://www.betterthanbouillon.com/products/product-detail.aspx?productid=14

44man
11-13-2016, 09:18 AM
Getting me hungry. I dream of some deer steaks.