PDA

View Full Version : vibro casting

robg
11-01-2016, 04:49 PM
When I was casting yesterday using 2molds I discovered this,had my tumbler cleaning some brass on my bench when it opened the molds after they were used aternatly fill one put down fill next then empty the first every boolits just fell from the molds on opening almost jumping out.wonder if the vibration through the bench as they cooled freed them off ? Anybody else noticed this?

KMac
11-01-2016, 05:17 PM
Exactly what kind of tumbler were you using?
This is pretty interesting by the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

country gent
11-01-2016, 05:24 PM
Yes the vibration may have had an effect. It would tend to release the bullets and open moulds closed tension. Look for chatter type marks on the bullets to see if they were vibrating in the blocks. I would also check the size on the cast bullets to see if fill out was affected. In industry vibration has been used for polishing, deburring, feeding parts, and moving air out of some plastic urethane moulds. Vacum has also been used to pull air out of castings and or moulds for urethane and some plastics.

robg
11-01-2016, 05:43 PM
Midway tumbler nothing special ,boolits sized and weighed as normal no marks or anything.I'm using the same lead etc ,I'm going to do this again next time to see if it was just a fluke.molds were rcbs 180gcsil and lee160 gcrn checks fitted as normal.

toallmy
11-01-2016, 07:10 PM
Interesting ...........