PDA

View Full Version : For thought and meditation

rl69
11-01-2016, 06:34 AM
But the Lord said, "Go, for Saul is my chosen instrument to take my message to the Gentiles and to kings, as well as to the people of Israel."—Acts 9:15 (http://harvest.us3.list-manage.com/track/click?u=4f108f827aed8d503b5fca9fa&id=729b79abd9&e=3dd732485b)Saul had no idea what had just happened to him. After hearing the voice of Jesus on the Damascus Road, he fell to the ground, blinded by a searing light that penetrated the sun. Then he was led to the home of a man named Judas (no relation to Judas Iscariot).

Enter Ananias, the unsung hero. God told him in a vision,

"Go over to Straight Street, to the house of Judas. When you get there, ask for a man from Tarsus named Saul. He is praying to me right now. I have shown him a vision of a man named Ananias coming in and laying hands on him so he can see again." (Acts 9:11–12 (http://castboolits.gunloads.com/x-apple-data-detectors://2))

But Ananias had his doubts. He said, "I've heard many people talk about the terrible things this man has done to the believers in Jerusalem! And he is authorized by the leading priests to arrest everyone who calls upon your name" (verses 13–14).

You can understand Ananias' reticence. Saul was a notorious hunter of Christians. Saul had consented to Stephen's murder. Yet God said, "Go."

Do you know someone right now whom you cannot imagine ever becoming a Christian? That is what it was like when Saul of Tarsus came to Christ.

Sometimes God will put a burden on your heart. You will see someone, and there will be a burden from God that you ought to talk to that person. Of course, if God says go, we can say no. God said "Go" to Jonah, and he said no at first. But eventually he went, dragging his feet.

Are you going to be a Jonah or an Ananias? When the Lord says, "Go," are you going to fight it? Or, will you be an Ananias? Just go. Do it. Take a risk.

Preacher Jim
11-01-2016, 06:42 AM
Could you imagine the faith that ananias had to have to go follow the Lord's instructions? Here was the chief persecuter of Christians and he was going to him. Faith tested is faith that is strong.

USMC87
11-01-2016, 07:13 AM
Amen, We should all be able to relate as there have been those before us that we were hesitant to engage at first.

Boaz
11-01-2016, 07:24 AM
There have been many .

Pine Baron
11-01-2016, 08:17 AM
It's not so much the fear as the self doubt.

Blackwater
11-01-2016, 09:45 AM
Amen to all the above, and there truly ARE many ways we tend to rationalize and excuse our failure to follow God's ways and directions. But to the extent that we swallow these excuses, that's the degree to which we diminish our own happiness and satisfaction in this life. I once had my own ideas and plans, but God led me into another direction. In retrospect, I now realize how much better God's way was in this life. Yeah, it's been harder than I'd have chosen for myself, but isn't it always that way? That the harder course is the one that always winds up being the most satisfying and fulfilling?

We have our values and plans, but when we humbly and obediently submit to God, and his plans and ways for us, we always come out better in the end, and SO much more fulfilled as human beings and as Christians. There's really noone who can't serve God in a great variety of ways in their time here on this mortal coil. It's just up to us to do it .... or not. True satisfaction and edification lies ahead for us if only we follow the Lord, and not necessarily our own plans and desires.

Is there anyone amongst us who has gone HIS way, and found it to be truly satisfying? We see through the glass darkly. God sees things in a very different and much more complete light than we ever can. And He's promised not to ever put anything on us we can't carry, and to stand by us through whatever it is we'll face. A life unchallenged is a life wasted, and a wasted life is truly a pitiful thing to see. Only by following Christ will we ever be truly happy and satisfied in this life. Challenged, certainly, but happy and satisfied nevertheless. There are REASONS we work that way.