PDA

View Full Version : Im sur this is a bumb question...but....

Butts
10-30-2016, 06:20 PM
How do you figure which holes to plug in the die? I am trying to lube some 158 grain SWC for my 38 and have tried all 3 and still cannot get it adjusted properly. Should I leave the top set of holes open, middle, bottom?

Also what is the best size shot to use? I had some 7 1/2 but after having problems when I pull the die some of the shot is missing. Not sure if it is popping out when removing the die. Guess I am not hammering it in hard enough.

HELP!!
Thanks

ReloaderFred
10-30-2016, 06:26 PM
Here's the manual for the Star. The page you want on how to adjust the punch and die is Page 4.

Hope this helps.

Fred

http://www.magmaengineering.com/PDF/Star_Sizer.pdf

Butts
10-30-2016, 08:03 PM
Thanks Fred. 4 wasted 4 boolits getting it adjusted and then cranked out 250. No issues other than some were maybe a little oversized and took more effort. I appreciate all the help.

Butts
10-30-2016, 08:05 PM
Hell, looking at the grammatical errors in the title I'm amazed I could follow the manual.

ReloaderFred
10-30-2016, 08:29 PM
Don't worry about it, I've seen much worse........

Fred

MT Chambers
10-30-2016, 08:35 PM
There are no bumb questions, just bumb answers.

sergeant69
11-02-2016, 01:59 AM
i've been casting since 1971. got my star 2 (?) yrs ago and it took me WEEKS to get it right. was like learning to drive again. w/out all the help i got here i woulda given up. now its like driving and drinking, i mean texting. easy.

varmintpopper
11-14-2016, 11:14 PM
Keep in mind that the holes You'r plugging/unplugging are drilled with two different sized bits during manufacture. a small hole is drilled all the way through and then a larger drill is used to drill partially through making a step that keeps the lead pellet from pushing into the die. Trying to remove the pellet by driving it out with a punch can ruin the die. Try drilling it out (by hand) with a proper sized drill to remove the lead pellet, But try not to remove any metal from the die.

Good Shooting

Lindy

toallmy
11-15-2016, 07:07 AM
One more step , figuring out lube pressure ,

Johnny_Cyclone
11-20-2016, 01:01 AM
1. run a bullet thru the sizer
2. remove sizer die
3. using the sized bullet, push it into the die with a wood dowel or plastic rod
4. using a small pin or needle, stick it in a sizer die lube hole.
5. push bullet slowly
6. when needle drops into the lube grove go just a tad more.(if you go to far you'll hit the needle, adjust bullet position with dowel)
7. plug all holes that don't align with your lube groove location. (I use shot I cut out of two shotgun shells (#7 and #8 size I think) and bagged to keep in my size die box)
8. leave boolit in die, install die in star sizer
9. adjust push rod to touch base of the bullet in the sizer die and lock nut in place

You should be set

Johnny_Cyclone
11-20-2016, 01:11 AM
Oh then in a note book or word file:

write down: (example)

Boolit designation: 358156
Row of holes used: 2nd row
plug unused holes with: #7 shot
Punch length: (measured from where it screws into the star.. rammer? down to the tip of the punch that pushes the boolit)

Should you change bullets type/size/caliber. This should help you get quickly set up next time with out all the fuss when you return to lube that particular bullet.