PDA

View Full Version : What's In Eastern Maine Oiled Roundball Patches?

GoexBlackhorn
10-30-2016, 09:50 AM
Just ordered 2pks/200 of the prelubed .020 roundball shooting patches from Track Of The Wolf. Just wondering what the oiled substance is. It's not yellow Wonderlube, nor the reddish-colored EZ Lube coating.

Sometimes trade secrets like this eventually become revealed. Anyone here know what oil covers these patches? I am not a fan of EZ Lube, for the Cabela's EZ Lube Blackpowder version of this liquid becomes tacky in muzzleloader bores and makes it difficult to reload. I've used the very lightly-coated Wonderlubed .018 pillow-tickers for a couple decades now and venturing into these oiled patches for experiments.

Not interested in any other patch recipes or lubes. I've already been into Bear Grease, Mink Oil, Moosemilk, Ballistol, Olive Oil, Permatex Hand Cleaner and other homemade lube's before. Just curious what this oil-covering really is.

For curiosity sake..... Anyone know? I'm guessing it's just machine oil, for the price of these is only a buck more than dry patches.

rfd
10-30-2016, 02:07 PM
personally, nothing i'd wanna use for my trad ml's. nor do i want or need pre-cut patches, unless i made them whilst loading a ball board for hunting or a woods walk. you might be very surprised, if not shocked, at the "trade secret" chemical composition of some of the most in-yer-face brands of patch lubes. some are almost laughable and sell via pure marketeering and ignorance. but all will work one way or t'other, as you can expect from the stuff you just purchased.

GoexBlackhorn
10-30-2016, 02:42 PM
personally, nothing i'd wanna use for my trad ml's. nor do i want or need pre-cut patches, unless i made them whilst loading a ball board for hunting or a woods walk. you might be very surprised, if not shocked, at the "trade secret" chemical composition of some of the most in-yer-face brands of patch lubes. some are almost laughable and sell via pure marketeering and ignorance. but all will work one way or t'other, as you can expect from the stuff you just purchased.

I'm at a point in my life where I'm not prelubing my own patches anymore. So I don't care if I laugh -- or get laughed at, regarding what's on my patch going down the bore.
Just would like to know what that Eastern Maine patch-oil is.... that's all..... which you don't seem to know.

Geezer in NH
10-30-2016, 04:08 PM
Oil would be my guess. What ever was left over from their last oil change. :violin:

FrontierMuzzleloading
10-30-2016, 04:10 PM
When you get them take a sniff, it might stand out. Not sure as i dont buy prelubed patches. I certainly buy precut patches thats for der sure!

mooman76
10-30-2016, 05:07 PM
Their web sight says CLP, it's a sythetic lubericant and cleaner.

rfd
10-30-2016, 05:40 PM
Their web sight says CLP, it's a sythetic lubericant and cleaner.

"CLP" is just a label, there are lotsa different cleaner-lubricant-preservers around, just as there are different definitions of each of those three functions. it's all too ambiguous, for the most part, with a huge quantity of snake oil added for good marketing measure. :)

FrontierMuzzleloading
10-30-2016, 07:53 PM
Have you tried them before?

Sasquatch-1
10-31-2016, 05:53 AM
This is what they have posted on their website. They also sell the lube by the bottle. The best I can find is it's a "stainless oil". Hope this helps.

Eastern Main Shooting Supplies
Dry and Pre-Saturated Patches - Eastern Maine die-cuts their patches from premium white, double napped, 100% cotton flannel. This gives maximum absorption, scrubbing aggression, and a squeegee affect in gun bores. You can order these patches dry to use with your favorite solvents and lubricants. Or, you can order them conveniently pre-saturated with Premium Lube CLP... A non petroleum synthetic oil that Cleans, Lubricates, and Protects (CLP) firearms.
Please Note: You can buy Premium Lube CLP in bottles (above) for use in all gun care and cleaning situations.

rfd
10-31-2016, 06:06 AM
"A non petroleum synthetic oil that Cleans, Lubricates, and Protects (CLP) firearms"

wikipedia ...

"Synthetic oil is a lubricant consisting of chemical compounds that are artificially made. Synthetic lubricants can be manufactured using chemically modified petroleum components rather than whole crude oil, but can also be synthesized from other raw materials.

Synthetic oil is used as a substitute for petroleum-refined oils when operating in extreme temperature. Aircraft jet engines, for example, require the use of synthetic oils, whereas aircraft piston engines do not. Synthetic oils are also used in metal stamping to provide environmental and other benefits when compared to conventional petroleum and animal-fat based products. These products are also referred to as "non-oil" or "oil free"."

or, it could be "mineral oil". :)

FrontierMuzzleloading
10-31-2016, 02:04 PM
Most likely the fake sperm whale oil they sell.

Geezer in NH
11-04-2016, 09:51 PM
Mobil 1 !!!!!!!!!!!! like I said in my last post or maybe chapstick oil????

John Boy
11-04-2016, 11:12 PM
Best patch lube available ...
https://www.trackofthewolf.com/Categories/PartDetail.aspx/156/1/LUBE-LEHIGH

FrontierMuzzleloading
11-04-2016, 11:41 PM
best suited for the shooting range john boy. Alcohol patch lubes are not made for hunting as they dry out within a couple hours.

rfd
11-05-2016, 06:47 AM
with LVL (lehigh valley patch lube), its oil remains in the cloth after its base solution has evaporated, as with moose milk, and can be reactivated with saliva in the field. the LVL original formula, which is back on the market and what's sold today, is one of the better over-the-counter patch, cleaning, and preserving lubes around these dayze, and is very fairly priced.

check it out, folks - www.lehighvalleylube.com (http://www.lehighvalleylube.com) and www.lehighvalleylube.com/hundreds-of-other-uses.html