PDA

View Full Version : Has my NMBH become a spitter?

Thomas Traddles
10-30-2016, 08:25 AM
I need help from forum members to diagnose what might be a problem with my NMBH spitting lead.

MY gun is .357 magnum and I have owned it for over two years. I clean it after every range session. Last week, while I was cleaning, I noted that there were small smears of lead on the front top of the cylinder on every chamber. I've never had this problem before or any lead smearing on this gun. There was no lead on the forcing cone nor did the timing seem to be out of whack -- chamber and barrel alignment are excellent all the way around. Also, there was no leading in the barrel. I'm puzzled. What should I be looking for? I have sized the bullets to .359 and these have always worked. The reloads I shot had a variety of lubes, everything from PC, to 45-45-10, to 50/50 alox and mineral spirits. And I shot everything from wcs, to swcs to rnfps over 2400, Blue Dot, Red Dot and Unique. In other words, it was a typical range session. Anyone have advice?

Thanks.

Mica_Hiebert
10-30-2016, 10:01 AM
Change in aloy? Do you have an over sized cylinder pin?

44man
10-30-2016, 10:43 AM
Boolits are too soft! You are slumping the devil out of them. I call them silly putty.

Thomas Traddles
10-30-2016, 03:01 PM
Thanks for the replies. I will have to think about the alloy. I was shooting some bullets that had an approx BHN of Lyman #2 prior to this, it may be that the most recent plinkers were cast softer. The base pin is stock, so I don't think that its being oversized is the problem.

44man
10-31-2016, 11:32 AM
The worst I ever seen was when I shot the Cleveland Rifle and Pistol club. All the Cleveland police shot there. I did wrong to offer to clean the guns. Never seen so much lead in bores and outside the guns. They shot swaged wad cutters, soft junk. I would never go back to those days. A week to clean a cop's gun. I did not charge them but lost my butt with cleaners and tools.