PDA

View Full Version : Making boolits larger???s

selmerfan
06-11-2008, 08:52 PM
I have two molds, an NEI and an RCBS, .266 and .308, respectively, that I need to throw larger boolits. The NEI is #266469 and the RCBS is a #30-150-SP. I'm casting the boolits for my .260 Remington that slugs out at .265" and my M70 Classic FWT .30-06 that slugs out at .3095". The trouble is, my molds are throwing .265" and .3085"-.309" boolits. I've always been told to have boolits .001" larger than the bore size, so do I need to make them larger? I have a .266" sizing die for the .26 caliber boolits and using Lyman Super Moly Black lube I have experienced very little leading and groups in the 1 1/2" to 2" range with my M700. I do not have a sizing die for my .30 caliber boolits yet. I was planning on getting a .311" sizing die, but I need a larger boolit for that. I'm using a Lyman 4500 lubrisizer. Opinions welcome!
Thanks!
Selmerfan
PS If anyone wants to trade sized, lubed, and checked .358" 180 LFNGC or 215 gr. Keith GC boolits for a .30 sizing die, I'm interested! I can get you the 35 cal boolits.

ANeat
06-11-2008, 09:27 PM
A few options really, harder alloy, lapping the cavities, beagling

Buckshot
06-12-2008, 02:14 AM
................You can Beagle them. Use an alloy with a higher antimony content (and also tin). Try casting hotter. Of course except for Beagleing, if you're already using something like lino you won't gain much. If you're using WW, going to lino will gain you an easy thousandth.

I shudder at the idea of shooting away straight lino these days. If for competition and you have an outstanding load then that may fly, but for plinking ...................? You can always add some lino and make a few casts, then add some more until you get what you want.

..............Buckshot

selmerfan
06-12-2008, 08:42 AM
I went with the beagling option. I couldn't wait until next week when I had time to try it again (we're leaving today) so I beagled them and tried it last night before bed. I had already beagled one side of the .266 mold and only gained .0005", so I beagled both sides and gained .0025. I went back to one side and gained .0015 this time, go figure. With one side of the .30 cal beagled I was throwing boolits at .3115-.312", so I figured that was perfect for my needs and left it alone. Maybe some other time I'll try honing them out, but beagling is MUCH faster. BTW, the only con to beagling is that darn adhesive melting down and buggering things up. Any suggestions? And yes, I'm using 600 degree aluminum tape. :) Thanks for the thoughts and time guys!
Selmerfan

BABore
06-12-2008, 08:50 AM
Another option is to cast them from WW alloy and WD them. Then wait til they grow enough. OHT them and size right away. Does require patients though.:-D

Cloudpeak
06-12-2008, 09:09 AM
BTW, the only con to beagling is that darn adhesive melting down and buggering things up. Any suggestions? And yes, I'm using 600 degree aluminum tape. :) Thanks for the thoughts and time guys!
Selmerfan

I used J_B Weld to glue on some aluminum pop can shims (.004 IIRC) and it worked great.

Cloudpeak

beagle
06-12-2008, 01:48 PM
The tape I'm using melts but doesn't run. Made by Royal Tape. Some out there runs./beagle

I went with the beagling option. I couldn't wait until next week when I had time to try it again (we're leaving today) so I beagled them and tried it last night before bed. I had already beagled one side of the .266 mold and only gained .0005", so I beagled both sides and gained .0025. I went back to one side and gained .0015 this time, go figure. With one side of the .30 cal beagled I was throwing boolits at .3115-.312", so I figured that was perfect for my needs and left it alone. Maybe some other time I'll try honing them out, but beagling is MUCH faster. BTW, the only con to beagling is that darn adhesive melting down and buggering things up. Any suggestions? And yes, I'm using 600 degree aluminum tape. :) Thanks for the thoughts and time guys!
Selmerfan

sundog
06-12-2008, 02:00 PM
Ace flue tape (600dF stuff) is great.

had to edit temp...