PDA

View Full Version : Sail boat Keel update

Johnch
06-11-2008, 08:22 PM
Well after talking to my freind that is into sail boats , I talked to the insurance company

Come to find out the marina owner wanted the thing out of there ......NOW
So I was able to buy the sail boat as is for $500
My freind is helping me with the labor , cleaning up the motor and selling everything we remove , for a cut of the $ and some parts

Since the Marina owner is shirt tail relation , he picked it up with his lift and moved it into a grassy area for me and if letting me use his front end loader to pick up some of the heavyer stuff

I just have to have it gone by July 1

I have alread removed the folding mast , the sails from the locker , the inboard motor , all exposed hardware and the keel and hauled them home
Have to haul everything home as we remove it , as the anchor was stolen while I was hauling the first load home Tue. [smilie=b:[smilie=b:

I have a roll off dumpster ordered for Friday , as we will just sawsall the hull into pieces that fit in the dumpster

Still have the steering wheel , fuel tank , Kit and bath fixtures and a bunch of other stuff that should sell to remove and get home
Hopefully we can sell most of it quickly

The keel roughly weighs 900 lb , maybe a little more and seems to be WW hardness
I figure it should make a few boolits :mrgreen::mrgreen:

We already have the motor , sails and folding mast sold
Those 3 idems paid for the boat , the dumpster with a fair chunk of change left over

We have been spending 3 - 4 hrs per evening the last 2 days working on it
I expect we will have 6 - 10 more evenings of work

BTW a sawsall with a long wood blade makes short work of the side of the boat

It is time for bed , I am pooped :coffee::coffee:

But I am learning a lot on how they put a sail boat togeather , not that I want a hole in the water to throw $$

If I get a chance I will add a few pic's

John

Blammer
06-11-2008, 10:03 PM
That's the way to do it!

good deal!

of course let us know how the "lead" pans out for ya.

bc3660
06-11-2008, 10:11 PM
"Still have the steering wheel , fuel tank , Kit and bath fixtures and a bunch of other stuff that should sell to remove and get home
Hopefully we can sell most of it quickly"

Want to sell the Steering wHeel? Is it wood? Thanks just askin! If its a wooden one I would be interested. I was a sailor once might look good in the bar. Thanks

Johnch
06-11-2008, 11:28 PM
Want to sell the Steering wHeel?Sure it is for sale ,but we already have a guy talking about it

Is it wood? Nope , Looks to be Stainless and plastic

Thanks just askin! If its a wooden one I would be interested. I was a sailor once might look good in the bar. Thanks

I beleive we are taking it out with whatever linkage go's with it
I have no clue what is all included or what it all is called

If it dosn't have 4 wheels and brakes , I just am guessing what to call stuff
I just point and ask , save or junk

John

Throckmorton
06-12-2008, 12:24 AM
I hope you get i tout of there before the next metal thief hits,or your plans will be messed up bigtime.
Let's see,900x7000=HOLY CRAP THAT'S A LOT OF BOOLITS.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Bob S
06-12-2008, 09:30 AM
900 pounds! Wow!

My ship had an alteration done that required the removal of some lead ballast pigs that had been alongside the keel in one of the fuel tanks. I don't remember the details (35 years ago), but this is highly unusual because most alterations add weight high in the ship, requiring the addition of keel ballast as righting moment compensation. But I digress ... on the quarterdeck was this stack of lead pigs waiting to be removed from the ship. They weighed about 65 lbs each, not too terribly heavy to handle. I waited until one of my buddies had the quarterdeck watch. Ever try to look "nonchalant" while carrying a gym bag down the pier with 65 lbs of lead in it??? [smilie=1:

Resp'y,
Bob S.

fourarmed
06-12-2008, 11:45 AM
Someone once told me that BOAT is an acronym for "Break Out Another Thousand."

snowtigger
06-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Someone once told me that BOAT is an acronym for "Break Out Another Thousand."

He is 100%right..