PDA

View Full Version : Federal .357 brass with crimped primer?

trooperdan
10-29-2016, 05:48 PM
I recently bought 1,000 once-fired Federal .357 cases. They came in American Eagle boxes, not that means much. When I looked at the case head I thought it looked like a swaged primer, not heavy but enough to catch my eye and sure enough, new Winchester primers were a no-go until I hit the primer pocket with a reamer just a touch. Has anyone else ever encountered swaged primer pockets in Federal brass?

ReloaderFred
10-29-2016, 09:36 PM
Over the years I've encountered crimped primers in several different brands of .38 brass, but most of it was government contract. I've never seen a reason to have crimped primers in the .38 Special, but then I'm not a government buyer, either.........

Hope this helps.

Fred

dubber123
10-29-2016, 10:51 PM
Federal NT headstamp in .40 is heavily crimped. Decaps fine, re-prime, not so much.

JavelinaBlanco
10-31-2016, 02:25 PM
I recently bought 1,000 once-fired Federal .357 cases. They came in American Eagle boxes, not that means much. When I looked at the case head I thought it looked like a swaged primer, not heavy but enough to catch my eye and sure enough, new Winchester primers were a no-go until I hit the primer pocket with a reamer just a touch. Has anyone else ever encountered swaged primer pockets in Federal brass?

Strange, I have never encountered such a thing. But stranger things have happened, I also do not see the need...

Virginia John
10-31-2016, 02:55 PM
There are a number of ammo manufacturers that are now using the European primers and they are a tweek smaller than the ones here in the states. They use S&B and other primers that are .001or .002 smaller that what we reload with. But with a little hit of a pocketreamer they are good to go.

brassrat
11-02-2016, 08:45 PM
I broke out my RCBS swager, just yesterday, to finish some cases after reaching and loading a boxes worth of FC,(no dot) 9mm. All range finds a little at a time. That Fed. stuff sure has numerous stamps too and don't look alike to me.