PDA

View Full Version : Progressive case lube removal?

durango
10-29-2016, 03:34 PM
I've never loaded on a progressive press, but have become curious as of late. I'm assuming that the cases have to be lubed just like with single stage loading, so what do you use to remove lube from the loaded rounds? What kind of lube do you use? Thanks, Steve

XDROB
10-29-2016, 04:16 PM
Depending on what your reloading. I reload 45,9,380 right now. Don't use any lube on cleaned cases. Hornady LnL progressive.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Half Dog
10-29-2016, 04:44 PM
^^^ Ditto

jmorris
10-29-2016, 04:46 PM
I lube almost all cases, just makes it easier, even with carbine dies and pistol cases.

I either do nothing or post load tumble them for a few minutes to knock the lube off, just like the ammunition manufacturers do.

HeavyMetal
10-29-2016, 04:51 PM
Progressive press's equal carbide dies, these days any straight Wall case should be loaded with carbide dies!

Lubing cases on a progressive press is a step backwards!

Now if your trying to load rifle cases, like 223 or 308 you need to change technique, prep cases prior to loading, neck size if all cases have been fired in the same rifle and do your loading on the progressive but be aware it's still barely faster than a single stage press.

Progressive's shine with pistol stuff

HM

DerekP Houston
10-29-2016, 05:38 PM
Depending on what your reloading. I reload 45,9,380 right now. Don't use any lube on cleaned cases. Hornady LnL progressive.

I reload using the same press, 380, 9mm, 38 spec right now. I give the gallon bag of brass a few sprays with hornady one shot then tumble them around in the bag to distribute and air out. I wasn't having any issues before not using lube, but the one shot does make the whole operation feel a bit smoother. i don't do anything to remove the lube after.

XDROB
10-29-2016, 05:42 PM
I think that's a good idea. I'm going to try that load session. Even though I haven't felt any resistance (dry). 😆

M-Tecs
10-29-2016, 07:24 PM
For bottleneck cases on progresses tumbling works very well to remove lub if you are doing all operation in one session . I load 6K to 10K of bottleneck cases pure year on either a Dillon 650 or 1050. Since both machines have case feeders I size and deprime everything than tumble. When I process them again I do not size but I do have a universal primer installed just incase there is any corn cobb in the flashhole. No way I would have time to do them on a single station.

jmorris
10-29-2016, 10:34 PM

I thought that for around 20 years until I tired them both together.

rtracy2001
10-30-2016, 08:35 AM
For 30 carbine, I use Hornady one shot in the plastic bag and don't do anything to remove it as it seems to dry well and doesn't gum anything up.

For 223/556 I use an RCBS lube die in station one filled with RCBS #2. After the initial fill, a few rounds have a heavy coat that needs removed, but they are usually setup rounds anyway, so I wipe them off with a rag. Once up and running, the lube coat is so thin, I don't bother cleaning them off either. No problems feeding.

Dan Cash
10-30-2016, 08:54 AM
If the cartridges are loaded with jacketed bullets, I put the loaded rounds in a tumbler with walnut media until they are degreased/clean. If loaded with cast, I roll them in my Dillon case/media separator which I modified with some flannel flaps that are dosed with paint thinner. It takes but a few revolutions of the separator to clean the cartridges. All loading done on a Dillon 550B.

runfiverun
10-30-2016, 10:15 AM
I size and de-prime then tumble the lube off.
then run them through as normal.
unless I'm just neck sizing then I set the press up with the N/S die and lube the inside of the case necks and just run them.

carbide size dies are great for the pistol stuff.

country gent
10-30-2016, 10:32 AM
I also lightly lube my cases for carnide dies, No its not really necesary but it does lower needed force and makes the machine feel much smoother. On Bottlenecked cases I lube and load then wipe down with a rag and light solvent to remove lube. I use Imperial sizing die wax and apply it in a very thin coat. I put a few thousand cases in a Bath towel a couple fingers of lube in with the cases and grab the corners in each hand rocking the towel to agitate and distribute the lube evenly. WHen starting out you need to watch close until the towel is "seasoned" with lube. On the straight walled cases done like this the coating is there and can be seen by the sheen but barely felt on the cases. Rifle brass gets a little heavier coat but its a quick easy way to lube cases. I have several friends that tumble loaded rounds in rotarys with corn cobs and ge good results but they fill them 70-80% full also.

gpidaho
10-30-2016, 10:33 AM
I knock the primers out, clean the brass in a sonic cleaner or wet tumble with SS pins, lube and size, then run the brass in a vibrating tub with corn cob media to clean off the lube and shine the cases. Then move to the progressive press. This may seem anal to some but my dies are like new after a lot of use and I don't worry that the loads aren't getting a proper grip in the chamber. I believe slick cases can lead to bolt thrust problems. Gp

Petrol & Powder
10-30-2016, 10:49 AM
I think it has all been covered on this thread.

Progressive press + straight walled pistol casings = Carbide dies & no case lube- DONE.

Bottle necked rifle cartridges, that's a different ball game. I don't load huge numbers of rifle cartridges at one time so I still use a single stage press for rifle cartridges. If I was going to load bottle necked rifle cartridges on a progressive press I would opt to do the case prep sizing operations as a batch before moving onto the progressive press for the remaining steps.
gpidaho's prior post is right on the money.

MT Chambers
10-30-2016, 03:19 PM
It would seem that bottleneck cases cause some further work and slow down the process some, how do you check for safe powder levels, esp. with loads that only take 5 or so grains?

jmorris
10-30-2016, 05:57 PM
how do you check for safe powder levels, esp. with loads that only take 5 or so grains?

I load many different ways. What are we talking about in this example, round, machine and quantity?

warf73
10-31-2016, 05:17 AM
It would seem that bottleneck cases cause some further work and slow down the process some, how do you check for safe powder levels, esp. with loads that only take 5 or so grains?

I use a powder cop on my 650, and seems pretty good at catching high or low powder throws ( 3.5 grs) in a 380acp. As for small charges in a bottle neck case, I haven't used a progressive doing those. I break out the single stage and hand throw each charge and weight them on the scale.

Kevin Rohrer
10-31-2016, 07:16 AM
I think it has all been covered on this thread.

This topic has been covered and covered and covered in many threads. We need a PSA telling people how the Search function works.

jmorris
10-31-2016, 11:03 AM
This topic has been covered and covered and covered in many threads.

There are very few new threads that deal with something that has not been asked and answered before.

JavelinaBlanco
10-31-2016, 03:39 PM
This sums it up, well said sir!

Progressive press's equal carbide dies, these days any straight Wall case should be loaded with carbide dies!

Now if your trying to load rifle cases, like 223 or 308 you need to change technique, prep cases prior to loading, neck size if all cases have been fired in the same rifle and do your loading on the progressive but be aware it's still barely faster than a single stage press.

Progressive's shine with pistol stuff

HM