PDA

View Full Version : Hung up on Youtube.

44man
10-29-2016, 02:42 PM
I watched all kinds of stuff by a guy this morning, Revolver accuracy, timing a gun and slicking up a gun. The guy has no idea at all. Reduce mainsprings, a cylinder movement is bad and so many things that if you follow you will toss your gun. There are more videos on the S&W but I would not watch.
Where does he come from? MannyCA, I hope he is not here. First 2 minutes and I knew he was nuts. He did not even know you can't cock a Ruger without the cylinder pin in. No mention of the transfer bar.

44man
10-29-2016, 03:25 PM
Had to go and see the S&W work---WOW, wrong tools to take apart, stoning and files to smooth. Stone was 10X too rough. Never pry a side plate either.
Sure way to ruin a S&W. Then to say a frame is case hardened.

tdoyka
10-29-2016, 04:05 PM
rarely do i watch youtube to fix a gun. when i got my 1898 springfield i didn't know how the bolt came off so i could disassemble and clean it. so i youtubed it and then i found this...

30 40 Krag bolt disassembly / assembly - YouTube (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y07okVYrUiM)

i can do some things(cleaning, putting on a base/scope, triggers...) but others i do not do(drill and thread a hole, rebore...). luckily theres a guy that can do anything. i think he's called a gunsmith:mrgreen:. he's a good guy to know and he is only like 3 miles away! i am not a gunsmith, i can do basic things. i let him do moderate to advanced things. besides, the gun is much better off if he does it. much better!!!:)

Half Dog
10-29-2016, 04:43 PM
I've been in gun stores and saw a "gunsmith" in the back watching youtube for how-to instructions. I'm sure he was doing the best he could but I believe I would ask our members for a recommendation when I need help.

telebasher
10-29-2016, 05:16 PM
I watched all kinds of stuff by a guy this morning, Revolver accuracy, timing a gun and slicking up a gun. The guy has no idea at all. Reduce mainsprings, a cylinder movement is bad and so many things that if you follow you will toss your gun. There are more videos on the S&W but I would not watch.
Where does he come from? MannyCA, I hope he is not here. First 2 minutes and I knew he was nuts. He did not even know you can't cock a Ruger without the cylinder pin in. No mention of the transfer bar.

I like the videos where they have to stop videoing and either have a buddy help or have a gunsmith put their gun back together and then start videoing as if they took care of the problem themselves.

joatmon
10-29-2016, 05:37 PM
I really enjoy Mannyca videos, he states several times in them that there are other ways to do what he's doing but this is how he does it. Wish he would do a video on making his cap maker.
Aaron

Don Purcell
10-29-2016, 05:43 PM
Yeah, there is a local "gunsmith" in our area and he was present during our concealed carry class. I looked over a 1911 he had "built" and immediately noticed his front sight was in backwards with the ramp and serrations to the front. Didn't need to look any further and laid it back down while he bragged on what a good job he did working on guns.

W.R.Buchanan
10-29-2016, 07:54 PM
Plenty of info on Youtube. Plenty of idiots as well,,,, but that is true of everywhere you go.

Unfortunately nobody has truly invented anything that was Completely Idiot Proof. Lots of room for them in the gun world.

Randy

scattershot
10-29-2016, 09:05 PM
Unfortunately nobody has truly invented anything that was Completely Idiot Proof. Lots of room for them in the gun world.

Randy

There is no proof against a determined idiot.

LAH
10-29-2016, 10:29 PM
Plenty of info on Youtube. Plenty of idiots as well,,,, but that is true of everywhere you go.

Well said.

44man
10-30-2016, 11:08 AM
I don't want to tee anyone off. But I know both guns inside out. The man does have some good things but others I would not touch. Some parts should never be fooled with. The Ruger, BFR and S&W are wonderful machines. But I can make a Colt action break the trigger like glass without breaking the trigger or hammer notches. My 45-70 BFR has a 19 oz trigger. Imagine a Ruger action that can do that. Imagine a revolver that has shot 1/2" at 100 yards many times. 26# hammer spring, worst ever is to reduce them.

quail4jake
10-30-2016, 11:34 AM
I would certainly trust advice from folks on cast boolits over you tube!

dannyd
10-30-2016, 12:06 PM
watch The Great War on YouTube.

35 Whelen
11-01-2016, 10:48 AM
All one needs to be an "expert" on youtube is a camera and an opinion.

35W

WILCO
11-01-2016, 11:12 AM
Youtube is like everything else in life. There's more than one choice.

rheagunman
11-01-2016, 12:14 PM
I think there should be more books like Brownells Gunsmith Kinks.

jmorris
11-01-2016, 12:22 PM
Free advice is sometimes worth what you pay for it.

dragon813gt
11-01-2016, 05:20 PM
It's the same thing as posts on a forum. You have to separate the knowledge from the trash. I will help you out. If I posted it then it's trash.

gwpercle
11-01-2016, 06:01 PM
The guy reloading 38 S&W for a top break S&W revolver was a hoot. He filled the sized and primed case with "black" powder , seated and crimped a boolit. Only problem was the "color" of the powder was black.... but it wasn't "black powder" it were smokeless. On the second shot the top break gave way and he starts blaming the piece of c**p cheap gun, cussing at the poor quality and never ever thinking it was his dumb self that blew it up.
After that , I take the you tube with many grains of salt.
Gary

Tackleberry41
11-01-2016, 06:25 PM
There are plenty of not so bright people on youtube. My 8yo watches some pretty dumb stuff. Not sure the audience intended on the videos he likes. Grown men playing video games, so not many adults going to watch, cursing up a storm so not something for kids. But pretty much anybody can post things on youtube. There is plenty of good info, cant just click on one and say thats it, watch a few different ones. I learned all sorts of stuff about my metal lathe watching such videos or building a tile shower.

Doesnt take youtube to screw things up. I knew a 'gunsmith' who I wouldn't let change a tire on my car. I had to go back and undo the work he did on an old S&W 1917. Druacoated it, but even the inside. Screws left loose, and the new spring he put in binding on the back of the rebound slide.

ebner glocken
11-01-2016, 06:38 PM
Anybody with a camera and computer can post on youtube. Some are really talented some are not. There is no fact checker on youtube that allows you to post or not to post therefore you have to weed out the poop to find the diamonds. It's called social media for a reason. And yes, I have a channel that is hopefully not poop.

Ebner

dragon813gt
11-01-2016, 06:56 PM
There are plenty of not so bright people on youtube. My 8yo watches some pretty dumb stuff. Not sure the audience intended on the videos he likes. Grown men playing video games, so not many adults going to watch, cursing up a storm so not something for kids.

I'm assuming you haven't heard of Twitch TV. People make their living streaming video game play. Wish I hadn't listened my parents. I'm at the age that would have been at the forefront of these advancements. The fact that you can play video games and make a good living is quite impressive to me. No different than playing any number of professional sports IMO.

lar45
11-02-2016, 12:34 AM
I had a guy from the LGS come by one day needing help on an old bolt action that he couldn't get the bolt to lift up.
It was a Steyr M95 ;)

HABCAN
11-02-2016, 01:31 AM
As the feller said......."I'll be glad to help you out. Which way did you come in?"

dtknowles
11-02-2016, 11:31 AM
I'm assuming you haven't heard of Twitch TV. People make their living streaming video game play. Wish I hadn't listened my parents. I'm at the age that would have been at the forefront of these advancements. The fact that you can play video games and make a good living is quite impressive to me. No different than playing any number of professional sports IMO.

36 years ago I got a job offer to work software development for the full 3D motion simulator for Space Shuttle astronaut training from Singer-Link at JSC in Houston. I turned it down to work Launch Processing at Kennedy Space Center. Always wondered what would have happened if I went the Software Route.

Tim

W.R.Buchanan
11-02-2016, 04:37 PM
Guys;;; I had a great epiphany in my late teens,,, and that was that "some people try to manipulate others by telling them lies." Yeah I know,,, Duh?

As a result of this big Light Bulb turning on,,,, I have devoted my life to the search for the truth, and I'm not talkin' "the meaning of life" here.

What I am talking about is the search for those that know about whatever subject I choose to delve into.
(I know something about a lot of things,,, and a lot about quite a few things.) Hence the line in my signature. :mrgreen:)

What that requires is a developed ability to discern fact from fiction, truth from lies, and the detection of BS no matter from what source. Only then can you ferret out those who actually know what they are talking about, and then use that information to produce results that satisfy your need for something better than store bought.

It is surely getting a workout this election season even though the players have pretty much shown their cards along time ago.

I have found that these people are generally older and have long periods of experience in whatever endeavor they have devoted their energies too. They have largely learned their subjects thru trial and error, and after making hundreds, if not thousands of mistakes, they have succeeded in developing skills that work most all of the time and the ability to figure out the rest as needed.

I call these people "Them That Knows."

If an individual actually understands what he is talking about he should be able to communicate it to another person using language that is not only easy to understand, but also actually work when you try to duplicate their experiences.

A recent experience learning how to Powder Coat Boolits is a perfect example.

I started out trying to Shake and Bake Powder Coat Boolits and had some success but the results were not up to my standards of pickiness. I went to You Tube and watched portions of several very long winded videos which attempted to explain the process. Even though I had processes from the guys here I wanted more info and hopefully a video of the process so I could see exactly what they were doing, as the explanations weren't yielding the results I had hoped for. I was looking for minor points I might have missed.

I found one video out of many, that actually showed PCing with a gun and the complete process from casting boolits to pc-ing and then loading. Much more needless info than I wanted, but the guy actually was articulate enough to get the major points across and supplant his verbiage with a video that was well done. I was actually able to duplicate his process and have excellent success with it.

In short,,, this guy actually knew what he was doing. Believe me,,,, most don't.

If you actually understand a subject,,, you should be able to explain it in normal easy to understand language.

If you can't,,, you're probably FOS!

My quest has been weeding out the ones that are FOS. Getting pretty good at it after 50 years of practice.

Buchanan's 90/10% Rule:

In any field of endeavor 90% of the meaningful work is done by 10% of the people.

And of that 10%,,, only 10% of them,,, really know what they are doing.

So in short,,, if you are trying to learn something new,,, you need to be looking for that 1%er to show you the way.

Randy

sparky45
11-02-2016, 04:50 PM
So Randy, where's the video link?

OS OK
11-02-2016, 04:57 PM
A truly intelligent man can 'glean' truths out of ANY video out there...even if it's 'what not to do!'

PS Paul
11-06-2016, 01:11 PM

he he is a member here: MannyinCa, if I'm not mistaken..... I've enjoyed several of his videos, BUT I shy away from the guns itching/slicking up your action videos since he is not a gunsmith- clearly.

i think his swaging videos using spent brass as jackets are pretty useful and some of his paper patching vids are neat as well.

44man
11-06-2016, 01:22 PM
he he is a member here: MannyinCa, if I'm not mistaken..... I've enjoyed several of his videos, BUT I shy away from the guns itching/slicking up your action videos since he is not a gunsmith- clearly.

i think his swaging videos using spent brass as jackets are pretty useful and some of his paper patching vids are neat as well.
Maybe so but can we dispute? He has not come forward.

PS Paul
11-06-2016, 01:33 PM
Dispute? I sure don't dispute what you're saying- he is no gunsmith and I was aghast at some of the things he did to a few revolvers..... I would like to see him come forward, but I haven't seen a post from him on this forum in some time. I suppose I could search his name and find out, but that's more effort than I'm willing to put forth. Ha ha!!

44man
11-06-2016, 01:43 PM
Dispute? I sure don't dispute what you're saying- he is no gunsmith and I was aghast at some of the things he did to a few revolvers..... I would like to see him come forward, but I haven't seen a post from him on this forum in some time. I suppose I could search his name and find out, but that's more effort than I'm willing to put forth. Ha ha!!
Not me and you for sure. Just me and Manny. Whatever he is called. It was not meant for you at all. Sorry if I confused it.

PS Paul
11-06-2016, 01:51 PM
I understand now. I was not exactly sure what you were getting at... Obviously.

thanks, brother. I just went to his channel and watched a vid where he was using a belt sander on a Ruger mainspring. I wasn't quite sure what to make of that?

44man
11-06-2016, 01:57 PM
I understand now. I was not exactly sure what you were getting at... Obviously.

thanks, brother. I just went to his channel and watched a vid where he was using a belt sander on a Ruger mainspring. I wasn't quite sure what to make of that?
OH MY, WHY? It needs a stronger Wolfe spring.
You are smart.

flint45
11-08-2016, 03:19 PM
Some of his vidieos are good but he is not a gunsmith some of the things he says I just say WHAT NO WAY!

Strtspdlx
11-09-2016, 12:31 AM
As someone said before. Anyone with a camera can do it. I do. The videos I post hoping someone can critique me and give me ideas of differen things to try. I'm always trying to learn. In my eyes if you aren't evolving you're wasting space.
sometimes it has to be realized that people think because they read a book or someone tells them something, that they know about that particular situation. Which needless to say isn't always true. Wether or not you can decipher the truth from the bs is important. If you can, and it is bs I think it's important to make it known so people such as myself that really don't know all that much can be shown the correct way or the truth of that scenario. Not just by saying that wrong. But substantiating what exactly is wrong.
Regardless threads like these seem to be thought of as bashing threads. I don't personally agree with that 100%. But I also try to take any bit of useable advice or knowledge from any conversation. I feel as though there's always something I can take away from any conversation.

Ole Joe Clarke
11-09-2016, 04:23 PM
The scary videos are, to me, the ones on reloading. These guys have had a reloading press for at least 3 weeks and loaded at least 250 shells, so that makes them an expert. Especially those with loose live primers on the table or stored loose in a glass jar.

fiberoptik
01-20-2017, 01:06 PM
As the feller said......."I'll be glad to help you out. Which way did you come in?"

Good one ☝️!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soundguy
01-20-2017, 01:24 PM
Its not ust guns, there ate hoax "how to " videos all over.

One supposedly shows you how to hack up a USB charge cable, wrap it with tinfoil and copper wire, then transmit 5v dc power dozens of feet away.

Basically they are getting people to cut up 5$ charge cables.. Total hoax/scam..

Thumbcocker
01-20-2017, 02:49 PM
I like youtube and subscribe to a few channels. I especially like log cabin looms because he says what he means and shows what works for him. On the other hand there are videos that result in me yelling and Mrs. Thumbcocker reminding me gently that the people on the video can't hear me. There is also a trove of WWII training films that are neat and all the Private SNAFU cartoons.

LAH
01-20-2017, 03:09 PM
On the other hand there are videos that result in me yelling and Mrs. Thumbcocker reminding me gently that the people on the video can't hear me.

Sometimes I need reminded also.

fatelk
01-20-2017, 04:55 PM
Guys;;; I had a great epiphany in my late teens,,, and that was that "some people try to manipulate others by telling them lies." Yeah I know,,, Duh?

As a result of this big Light Bulb turning on,,,, I have devoted my life to the search for the truth, and I'm not talkin' "the meaning of life" here.

What I am talking about is the search for those that know about whatever subject I choose to delve into.
(I know something about a lot of things,,, and a lot about quite a few things.) Hence the line in my signature. :mrgreen:)

What that requires is a developed ability to discern fact from fiction, truth from lies, and the detection of BS no matter from what source. Only then can you ferret out those who actually know what they are talking about, and then use that information to produce results that satisfy your need for something better than store bought.

It is surely getting a workout this election season even though the players have pretty much shown their cards along time ago.

I have found that these people are generally older and have long periods of experience in whatever endeavor they have devoted their energies too. They have largely learned their subjects thru trial and error, and after making hundreds, if not thousands of mistakes, they have succeeded in developing skills that work most all of the time and the ability to figure out the rest as needed.

I call these people "Them That Knows."

If an individual actually understands what he is talking about he should be able to communicate it to another person using language that is not only easy to understand, but also actually work when you try to duplicate their experiences.

A recent experience learning how to Powder Coat Boolits is a perfect example.

I started out trying to Shake and Bake Powder Coat Boolits and had some success but the results were not up to my standards of pickiness. I went to You Tube and watched portions of several very long winded videos which attempted to explain the process. Even though I had processes from the guys here I wanted more info and hopefully a video of the process so I could see exactly what they were doing, as the explanations weren't yielding the results I had hoped for. I was looking for minor points I might have missed.

I found one video out of many, that actually showed PCing with a gun and the complete process from casting boolits to pc-ing and then loading. Much more needless info than I wanted, but the guy actually was articulate enough to get the major points across and supplant his verbiage with a video that was well done. I was actually able to duplicate his process and have excellent success with it.

In short,,, this guy actually knew what he was doing. Believe me,,,, most don't.

If you actually understand a subject,,, you should be able to explain it in normal easy to understand language.

If you can't,,, you're probably FOS!

My quest has been weeding out the ones that are FOS. Getting pretty good at it after 50 years of practice.

Buchanan's 90/10% Rule:

In any field of endeavor 90% of the meaningful work is done by 10% of the people.

And of that 10%,,, only 10% of them,,, really know what they are doing.

So in short,,, if you are trying to learn something new,,, you need to be looking for that 1%er to show you the way.

Randy

It's great when you find that 1% guy who knows stuff, be it a mechanic, electrician, gunsmith, or analyzer technician. When they're no longer available it makes life so much more difficult.

We had a go-to guy that knew it all and has helped me with complex problems many times. Homer left the company, and at this point NOBODY can replace him. It'll take me a week to work through a problem he probably could have walked me through in a half hour.

fiberoptik
01-21-2017, 10:35 PM
Talking to people that can't hear you....

Hmmm; maybe that's why Wifey gets upset when I talk to the bad drivers....

fiberoptik
01-21-2017, 10:38 PM
At least I stopped arguing with the voices inside my head …

jetinteriorguy
01-23-2017, 08:22 PM
It's ok to argue with the voices in your head, until you start losing the arguments. Then you have a problem.

Thumbcocker
01-23-2017, 08:59 PM
The voices in my head ain't the boss of me.