PDA

View Full Version : A completely hypothetical order from Powder Valley

Bookworm
10-29-2016, 10:42 AM
I keep hearing about powder prices at $30+ per pound, plus local taxes. While I agree that the LGS (local fun shop) does need to be supported, there comes a time when the prices outweigh the benefits.

I gathered up a few (hypothetical) bucks, and made an order with Powder Valley. This may have been the results :

The freight charge was $19.95, and the HazMat was $28.50. I split that out, half to primers and half to powder.
That meant $24.23 frt each, to be divided out per thousand of primers, and per pound of powder. That comes to $1.21 added / K primers, and $1.34/lb powder ( with an 18-pound powder order).

Winchester Large pistol primers - $29.21/thousand delivered.
20K primers @ @28/k, plus adding in the combined Frt/HzMt comes to $29.21 per thousand, delivered to my door, all in.

Powder -
HP-38 - 8 lb jug, total of $18.21/lb delivered, with Frt & HzMt.
8lb -$135 = 16.87/lb, plus the divided out Frt/HzMt fee of $1.34/lb.

Titegroup - 4 lb jug, total of $17.15/lb delivered.
4 lb jug - $63.25 = 15.81/lb + fees

Ramshot Enforcer - 4lb jug, total of $20.29/lb delivered
4lb jug - $75.80 = 18.95/lb + fees

Power Pro 300MP - 1lb jar (X2), total of $20.19/lb delivered
1lb jar $18.85 per + plus fees.

The primers may not be a smoking deal, but they are (were) available. Locally they are about $30/k + taxes. The powder prices cannot be beaten, or even come close to, locally.

This may not be a feasible method of ordering for everybody, but it is an option. Perhaps getting together a few people to fill an order (and split the fees) would work. Gather up a couple hundred bucks each, and do it.

A word about Powder Valley stock - it's heavy on Hodgdon, with good selection of Ramshot and Winchester, but very light on Alliant products. If you're looking for Bullseye of 2400 - forget it.
The ordering there is somewhat odd. You fill out the order, and get a confirmation. Several days go by. Then, a few more may go by. Then, magically, in your email appears a shipping/tracking notification.
My (hypothetical) orders usually ship within 3 days, but with this past (theoretical) order it was a week before I got a notice.

Nueces
10-29-2016, 11:03 AM
I like Powder Valley and have often ordered just as you suggest. I have found it to be good practice to call them a day or so after placing an online order. Once, there was a limitation in quantity in place that was not announced on the site - I was able to adjust my order on the phone. Besides, they're nice folks.

Blackwater
10-29-2016, 11:22 AM
If I place an order, I have several friends I call to see if they need/want anything, so we can split the freight and amortize it out. This always helps. Powder and primers here are outrageous for an old skinflint like me. It's just good to see powder/primer availability back up again, even if it's not quite what it once was. Anyone who hasn't laid in a good, basic supply of their "regulars" needs to do so. There's really no substitute for knowing you're good to go for a significant time if SHTF happens. But to each his own, of course.

jonp
10-30-2016, 07:02 AM
I've bought from Powder Valley several times as I have 3rd Generation, Graf''s etc. I've had good luck with all of them. You have to check their site a few times a day as powder comes and go's. The last panic I checked several times a day and finally scored 8lbs lbs of Unique from them.

reddog81
10-31-2016, 08:01 PM
If my math is correct the Oklahoma sales tax would have been over $50 on that order anyways so the fees are less than buying local.

Calamity Jake
10-31-2016, 10:50 PM
I keep hearing about powder prices at $30+ per pound, plus local taxes. While I agree that the LGS (local fun shop) does need to be supported, there comes a time when the prices outweigh the benefits.

I gathered up a few (hypothetical) bucks, and made an order with Powder Valley. This may have been the results :

The freight charge was $19.95, and the HazMat was $28.50. I split that out, half to primers and half to powder.
That meant $24.23 frt each, to be divided out per thousand of primers, and per pound of powder. That comes to $1.21 added / K primers, and $1.34/lb powder ( with an 18-pound powder order).

Winchester Large pistol primers - $29.21/thousand delivered.
20K primers @ @28/k, plus adding in the combined Frt/HzMt comes to $29.21 per thousand, delivered to my door, all in.

Powder -
HP-38 - 8 lb jug, total of $18.21/lb delivered, with Frt & HzMt.
8lb -$135 = 16.87/lb, plus the divided out Frt/HzMt fee of $1.34/lb.

Titegroup - 4 lb jug, total of $17.15/lb delivered.
4 lb jug - $63.25 = 15.81/lb + fees

Ramshot Enforcer - 4lb jug, total of $20.29/lb delivered
4lb jug - $75.80 = 18.95/lb + fees

Power Pro 300MP - 1lb jar (X2), total of $20.19/lb delivered
1lb jar $18.85 per + plus fees.

The primers may not be a smoking deal, but they are (were) available. Locally they are about $30/k + taxes. The powder prices cannot be beaten, or even come close to, locally.

This may not be a feasible method of ordering for everybody, but it is an option. Perhaps getting together a few people to fill an order (and split the fees) would work. Gather up a couple hundred bucks each, and do it.

A word about Powder Valley stock - it's heavy on Hodgdon, with good selection of Ramshot and Winchester, but very light on Alliant products. If you're looking for Bullseye of 2400 - forget it.
The ordering there is somewhat odd. You fill out the order, and get a confirmation. Several days go by. Then, a few more may go by. Then, magically, in your email appears a shipping/tracking notification.
My (hypothetical) orders usually ship within 3 days, but with this past (theoretical) order it was a week before I got a notice.

Your in central Okla. The powder valley employees are OU football fans, every home game they come to Norman
for the game, call them and set up a meet along I35 some where, they will bring your order to you
without the shipping and hazmat fees.

tazman
10-31-2016, 11:11 PM
After 5 days, I am still waiting for my shipment notification on my "hypothetical" order from Powder Valley. I have never ordered from them before so I am not certain what to expect in the way of service.
Having become used to Midway's outstanding and prompt service has jaded me a bit. To be honest though, powder shipments from Midway do take longer than other merchandise.

dverna
10-31-2016, 11:20 PM
I buy over 80% of my primers and powder on line. If you have a major trap or skeet shoot close by, they can have some decent prices. My LGSs gets less than 5% of my business.

Don Verna

sargenv
11-01-2016, 10:10 AM
I can say that if there is an issue with any order from Powder Valley, they will call you and let you know they are out of XYZ and what do you want to do from there? Generally on case prices, they ship the case for $19.95 + 28.50 Hazmat and depending on the final cost of the case, the insurance goes anywhere from $4-$6 a case.. 48# of Alliant or Vectan will be a tad cheaper in the insurance than a full 48# case of Vihtavuori or Norma. You can also subscribe to their Facebook page and get notifications when specific powder or primers come in. They still set a limit of 1 - 48# case of powder per day.. Primers.. you can get as many as you like unless they set a limit (Federal Small Pistol primers for instance, right now if they are in have a 20k limit, others have a 5 or 10k limit). At the moment, most Small pistol primers and even small rifle primers are sold out..

B. Lumpkin
11-01-2016, 01:36 PM
After 5 days, I am still waiting for my shipment notification on my "hypothetical" order from Powder Valley. I have never ordered from them before so I am not certain what to expect in the way of service.
Having become used to Midway's outstanding and prompt service has jaded me a bit. To be honest though, powder shipments from Midway do take longer than other merchandise.

For me, Powder Valley has always been slow compared to the others.

Bookworm
11-01-2016, 07:44 PM

Just give 'em a call. I had the same situation, called and spoke with a very friendly CS rep, and got a notification later that day.
6 business days. That's the longest wait I've had on any order from them.

Bookworm
11-01-2016, 07:47 PM
Your in central Okla. The powder valley employees are OU football fans, every home game they come to Norman
for the game, call them and set up a meet along I35 some where, they will bring your order to you
without the shipping and hazmat fees.

No kidding ? Sounds like a plan !
I live not far off I-35, it would be a sweet deal for me.

jrayborn
11-03-2016, 06:15 PM
I only order from powder valley or Graff's. Last months order I got enough powder that the final price was only $17.50 per pound and that is shipped and including hazmat. Local prices don't come close or have the selection.

marlin39a
11-07-2016, 04:35 PM
Powder Valley is the way to go. They have never let me down. Now is the time to buy.

warf73
11-08-2016, 07:09 AM
Love powder valley I've seen them grow from a small steel building to a very large complex of steel buildings. If you ever go there you can see the add-ons they have done over the years.

Even for a local guy like me that has an account with them, I call and place my order and its normally 4~5 days before I can pick it up. It used to be I could drive down and help Brian or his wife pull the order. Now they have several people working for them and are very busy when ever I got pick up an order.

All I can say is GREAT FOLKS to buy from.

tazman
11-09-2016, 09:10 PM
Just give 'em a call. I had the same situation, called and spoke with a very friendly CS rep, and got a notification later that day.
6 business days. That's the longest wait I've had on any order from them.

As it turned out, I didn't have to call them. The shipment notification arrived the next day and the order showed up 2 days later.
I have since made another order to them but now the web site says they are 7 days behind. I will wait and see how soon they handle it.
I hope their web site keeps up with orders pending and takes listed products down as the orders are sent in rather than when they are shipped. A couple of the things I ordered are now listed as out of stock 2-3 days after I placed my order.

Bookworm
11-09-2016, 09:33 PM
I hope their web site keeps up with orders pending and takes listed products down as the orders are sent in rather than when they are shipped. A couple of the things I ordered are now listed as out of stock 2-3 days after I placed my order.

I believe that their system does indeed keep inventory current with pending orders.
I called them on another occasion with some questions about certain products. When my questions were answered, the CS rep suggested that I order online rather than over the phone, as the inventory system was automated, and online orders made it easier to keep the numbers straight.

dg31872
11-09-2016, 11:46 PM
Another good place to buy powder and primers is Midsouth Shooters Supply. Their prices are neck and neck with Powder Valley, and they have a banner ad at the top of this page. They help support us, so don't overlook them.

ironman43
11-10-2016, 12:12 AM
I'm one of the fortunate that can just drive down and pick up. Saves shipping and hazmat. Really nice people there.

Bookworm
11-10-2016, 10:59 AM
I'm one of the fortunate that can just drive down and pick up. Saves shipping and hazmat. Really nice people there.

Sure, but you have to pay sales tax when purchasing in person. Powder Valley has no 'nexus' (physical presence) here in Okie-land, which, according to state law, means they are not obligated to collect and remit Okie state tax.
Which, with a large order, covers a substantial portion of the freight/hazmat charges.

And it appears on my porch.

tazman
11-11-2016, 10:01 PM
I believe that their system does indeed keep inventory current with pending orders.
I called them on another occasion with some questions about certain products. When my questions were answered, the CS rep suggested that I order online rather than over the phone, as the inventory system was automated, and online orders made it easier to keep the numbers straight.

I got my invoice and shipping notice from Powder Valley today. It appears that everything I ordered is included. It should be here middle of next week.
They got it on the way a little quicker than expected.

Elkins45
11-13-2016, 10:53 AM

Unless I'm mistaken, Midway has some of their powder orders drop-shipped by Powder Valley.

tazman
11-13-2016, 08:34 PM
Unless I'm mistaken, Midway has some of their powder orders drop-shipped by Powder Valley.

That's interesting since my powder orders from Midway get shipped sooner than a Powder Valley order by about 2 days.

paul h
11-19-2016, 03:49 AM
You guys are lucky, when I order powder from Powder Valley, or anyone else, I get the privilege of paying for shipping twice. Shipping to Washington state, and then shipping on a freight forwarder that barges it up to Alaska. For a 50# order that's ~$200 in shipping.

On the flip side, I still save ~$5/lb vs. buying from the LGS.

FLYCUTTER
11-22-2016, 11:19 PM
WOW paul h that gotta hurt . OUCH !

tazman
11-23-2016, 02:57 PM
When you are in his position, you do what you have to do to get the goods.

paul h
11-23-2016, 04:44 PM
Like I said, I was still ~$250 ahead of buying from local shops, and that is if they had the powder I wanted in stock, which they didn't.

I was just commenting on folks having to pay $50 shipping/hazmat and wait a few days for delivery. I you only knew how good you had it.

That said, someone once said the reason it's so expensive to live in Alaska is because it's worth it.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/evefiles/photo_albums/3/4/4/344100033/3901005512_9FF345185C11AC7B2D4975A1AB29FE29.jpg

I tend to agree

tazman
11-23-2016, 05:02 PM
That said, someone once said the reason it's so expensive to live in Alaska is because it's worth it.

http://forums.accuratereloading.com/evefiles/photo_albums/3/4/4/344100033/3901005512_9FF345185C11AC7B2D4975A1AB29FE29.jpg

I tend to agree

40 years ago I would have agreed. Now my arthritis says no way.

Engineer1911
11-27-2016, 08:55 PM
I wonder what an Alaskan divorce costs and is it worth it?

paul h
12-02-2016, 06:31 PM
My wife's a divorce attorney ;)

Just talked to a friend, he said he finally signed the last check after his divorce. All said and done he paid his ex $1.2 mil :twisted:

jrayborn
12-02-2016, 06:36 PM
Holy Hell.

lightman
12-05-2016, 10:54 AM
I've always liked Powder Valley. I get enough shooting buddies together to order the max amount that will fit in a box (48#) and we split the shipping/hazmat cost. They will mix powder and primers. The last time that I ordered there was a mistake in my order. Two one pound cans of BL-C2 were shipped in place of two eight pound cans but I was billed for the eight pounders. A quick call and a nice Lady named Barb had it straightened out in a couple of hours. Good company to deal with.

FLYCUTTER
12-05-2016, 07:38 PM
I couldn't sleep at night if I had to pay out 1.2 mil. WOW, I guess "Its cheaper to keep her".

Hogdaddy
12-05-2016, 08:28 PM
I couldn't sleep at night if I had to pay out 1.2 mil. WOW, I guess "Its cheaper to keep her".

That old saying is TRUE my freind ; )
H/D

paul h
12-06-2016, 03:29 PM
She walked out on him. I don't know the details (nor do I care), but she always struck me as an aloof unfriendly *****. I think the worst part of the deal was when he was in South America on a fishing trip she broke into the house and she and her brother took all the guns. Many of them were his family heirlooms and as he's an FFL some of them were customer guns. I know the police and BATF got involved but don't know if charges were filed or anyone prosecuted.

Definitely a raw deal, but such is life.