PDA

View Full Version : Ammunition Fire video from SAAMI

georgerkahn
10-29-2016, 08:40 AM
I came across an interesting video produced by the Small Arms Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute where several different paradigms were filmed of live ammunition being burned. I found it quite interesting, with but two minor criticisms: 1/ The apparent absence of any rim-fire ammunition's use in tests; and 2/ The spectacular semi-trailer ammunition fire was staged with the trailer's rear doors open (?????). Re #1, I'd have liked to see the 65-foot case drop test done with, say, .22 long rifle cartridges; re #2, how many tractor-trailers drive down the road, loaded with ammunition, with both rear doors wide open?

However, as -- I don't know about you, but I do have a covert fear re us sleeping upstairs with ammo in the basement -- should there (God forbid!) be a fire... Much less, too, danger to responding volunteers -- which makes this, at the least, an interesting view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

BEST!
georgerkahn

DCP
10-29-2016, 09:15 AM
Over 400,000 rounds used in the test very interesting
Black Powder would be a different story

M-Tecs
10-29-2016, 10:02 AM
Cool video. Thanks for posting.

dragon813gt
10-29-2016, 10:14 AM
interesting
Black Powder would be a different story

So would components. And ammo does pose a risk. Bullets are propelled through an ammo can. Normal chemicals you have in your home are still a greater hazard.

DCP
10-29-2016, 10:20 AM
So would components. And ammo does pose a risk. Bullets are propelled through an ammo can. Normal chemicals you have in your home are still a greater hazard.

"And ammo does pose a risk. Bullets are propelled through an ammo can."

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you watch the video?

Southern Son
10-29-2016, 10:27 AM
I came across an interesting video produced by the Small Arms Ammunition Manufacturer's Institute where several different paradigms were filmed of live ammunition being burned. I found it quite interesting, with but two minor criticisms: 1/ The apparent absence of any rim-fire ammunition's use in tests; and 2/ The spectacular semi-trailer ammunition fire was staged with the trailer's rear doors open (?????). Re #1, I'd have liked to see the 65-foot case drop test done with, say, .22 long rifle cartridges; re #2, how many tractor-trailers drive down the road, loaded with ammunition, with both rear doors wide open?

However, as -- I don't know about you, but I do have a covert fear re us sleeping upstairs with ammo in the basement -- should there (God forbid!) be a fire... Much less, too, danger to responding volunteers -- which makes this, at the least, an interesting view.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SlOXowwC4c

BEST!
georgerkahn

True, but the fire would not have burned nearly as well with no air with the doors sealed. It would have smouldered away until enough air could get to it (most trailers like that in Australia are aluminium sided and the aluminium would melt easily enough), to make it burn properly. Of course, once the trailer sides burnt through, that would be the end of the pressure and it would have reverted to a fire just like in the video. The only difference would have been the fire fighters having a harder time putting the wet stuff on the hot stuff.

dragon813gt
10-29-2016, 10:32 AM
"And ammo does pose a risk. Bullets are propelled through an ammo can."

Wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Did you watch the video?

Yes, I've watched that video and others. Bullets are propelled through ammo cans in a fire. Not a lot of them. But they still make it through. Now tell me if you want to get hit by one that made it through? A single video can not possibly show every possible scenario.

DCP
10-29-2016, 10:56 AM
Yes, I've watched that video and others. Bullets are propelled through ammo cans in a fire. Not a lot of them. But they still make it through. Now tell me if you want to get hit by one that made it through? A single video can not possibly show every possible scenario.

There are some people that will argue about anything even when the proof right before there eyes.

The firefighters stood right out side the door and the trailer. Just in there turn out gear.
Being as I have walk this walk in turn out gear myself.

Watch the WHOLE video Gentlemen it speaks for itself.

Black Powder is much more dangerous!

fred2892
10-29-2016, 10:58 AM
Can you post a link to a video showing bullets exiting a can in a fire. Ive seen a few videos but none have shown any bullets exiting. It would be interesting to see.

Sent from my GT-P5110 using Tapatalk

waksupi
10-29-2016, 11:32 AM
P.O. Ackley tested that, and the projectiles didn't even penetrate a cardboard box.

HABCAN
10-29-2016, 01:16 PM
I think it was during Townshend Whalen's time with the NRA: they dropped boxes and cases of .22 rimfire from considerable heights and got...............dented ammo. And yes, P.O. Ackley couldn't get the projectiles to penetrate the cardboard box. IIRC I read of those tests in the Rifleman as a younker, but......

osteodoc08
10-29-2016, 02:31 PM
P.O. Ackley tested that, and the projectiles didn't even penetrate a cardboard box.
Which is what the above video confirmed with 12 gauge and the 500 smith and 416 Remington didn't penetrate Sheetrock.

jonp
10-29-2016, 03:26 PM
I watched a fire demonstration online and ammo did not pass through normal sheetrock walls

fivefang
10-29-2016, 06:24 PM
Boolit master, you should read: Ammunition in a Fire, by Maj. Gen. Julian S Hatcher, USA (Ret) it is very interesting compared to what you saw, Fivefang

nicholst55
10-30-2016, 12:45 PM
What I wonder is this - do any firefighters ever watch these videos? Their attitude to a house fire that contains ammo and powder is normally 'watch it burn,' and make sure it doesn't spread to adjoining structures.

lightman
10-30-2016, 08:26 PM
General Hatcher wrote about this in one of his books. It seems like ammo in a fire is fairly harmless. Now, a loaded firearm in a fire is another animal. The Firemen that I know are much more afraid of the propane tank on your grill than ammo. Cool Video by the way!

varmintpopper
11-01-2016, 09:26 PM
Burning powder doesn't need a source of oxygen to burn, it makes it's own oxygen.

Good shooting

Lindy