PDA

View Full Version : Expert welding

44man
10-28-2016, 09:41 AM
Friend sent this picture and I have to see if I can post it so you roll with laughter. Best shade tree yucker thing I ever seen. 179577 Real custom scope mount! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

DougGuy
10-28-2016, 09:52 AM
LOVE IT!! Especially the screw and nut holding the rings on.. That guy's got class! Don't know WHICH class but he's got class! :bigsmyl2:

Me being a welder by trade for near 50yrs got a good SMH giggle out of it.

44man
10-28-2016, 10:18 AM
I don't know the gun used.
But we have them here. Woman down the road never does work on her Mazda truck. Drive shaft broke and punched a hole in her gas tank. The part damaged 2 cars behind her too. Flat tires, etc.
She called and wants to know how much for cheap. Not me for sure. You are stuck.
I should get the welder to weld the U joint for her. Sadly I have to take her to town to get her truck towed to some Mexicans that work cheap.
It is FUN guys! But they also vote.

NoZombies
10-28-2016, 10:42 AM
At least they didn't obscure the SN...

lefty o
10-28-2016, 10:51 AM
its a ruger mini14, no great loss!

WebMonkey
10-28-2016, 10:53 AM
harsh
:)

NavyVet1959
10-28-2016, 10:56 AM
I don't know the gun used.

Looks like it might be a Mini-14.

On my Mini-14, the plate on the left side has a place to screw in a scope mount. On newer Mini-14s, they come with holes already drilled in the top of the receiver for a scope from what I've heard.

NavyVet1959
10-28-2016, 11:25 AM
Looks like he even welded up the screw hole that the B-Square mount would attach to.

Blackwater
10-28-2016, 11:40 AM
Even aside from the obvious trashy look and amateurish approach, he gave no thought to how the heat from the welds might affect hardness/toughness of the receiver. Can't add a thing to the above comments. One trashed Mini, down the tubes. It's sad the ignorance some folks have about guns, metal, etc. There are times and places where "I think I can" just ain't good enough!

NavyVet1959
10-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Well, I could see how someone who was *competent*, could *possibly* weld a scope mount onto a rifle receiver. Maybe TIG welding and having the barrel and receiver mostly submerged in water to keep from affecting the metal too much.

Obviously, this welder would not classify as "competent" though.

Hickory
10-28-2016, 11:54 AM
Desperate people do desperate things.

merlin101
10-28-2016, 12:04 PM
Well, I could see how someone who was *competent*, could *possibly* weld a scope mount onto a rifle receiver. Maybe TIG welding and having the barrel and receiver mostly submerged in water to keep from affecting the metal too much.

Obviously, this welder would not classify as "competent" though.

I have a Ruger convertible .22LR/mag revolver that I picked up for a song because a dumb previous owner did some work to including TIG welding scope mounts to it. I went to a friends farm to see if I wasted $50. and found it shoots better than I can! It's a great woodchuck gun.
If I could post pics I would and I think you'd be impressed with the clean neat and tiny welds.

NavyVet1959
10-28-2016, 12:23 PM
I have a Ruger convertible .22LR/mag revolver that I picked up for a song because a dumb previous owner did some work to including TIG welding scope mounts to it. I went to a friends farm to see if I wasted $50. and found it shoots better than I can! It's a great woodchuck gun.
If I could post pics I would and I think you'd be impressed with the clean neat and tiny welds.

Yeah, there are some guys out there who are really good at TIG welding.

And then there are the guys like in the photo in this thread. :)

I have to think that he should have been able to just use the threaded hole that was already on the left side that the B-Square mount uses and make his own B-Square type mount without trashing the gun like he did. I don't feel like searching through my gun safe for my B-Square mount... Does anyone know what the thread size/pitch is used for that mounting hole?

waksupi
10-28-2016, 12:25 PM
Give that man a Dremel tool, and he can set him self up as a pro-fessional gunsmiff.

Ballistics in Scotland
10-28-2016, 02:53 PM

Yes, but a .22, and above all a blowback auto, doesn't depend on heat-treatment of the steel. Long ago, at an age of ignorance, I let someone braze a scope base on my Cooey .22 barrel, and accuracy, the only excellent thing about that rifle, remained excellent. (It was a clunker in the literal sense, for the bolt and sliding tube-magazine cycled with a loud clunk.)

I don't suppose altering the hardness of the Mini-14 receiver is very dangerous, but it is something - not the only thing with this job - that I would sooner be without. Even expert welding wouldn't be an expert scopefitting job. I think he ignored the threaded hole because that is what an ordinary person would settle for.

44man
10-28-2016, 03:03 PM
Well my BFR had no base at the time so I made my own.179607 Made from Weaver stock from Brownel's.
Then I bought the .475 with no base and found MR had them after. They sent me one free, D&T no problem. Things are easy if done right.

44man
10-28-2016, 03:16 PM
I have brazed lugs on double shotguns and such even made the for-end metal by hand when the thing was lost. Made the wood too. NOW, THAT is a job, not for the faint of heart. Make my own transfer bars for Rugers and BFR's. But to weld a scope on!!!!
I can't count the bases I have put on by hand before I had more then a drill. I drilled 1/16" holes through 2" 6-32 screws by hand for my first lighted bow sights. Held them in my hand to drill. Halfway from each end to meet in the center. Try that my friends!

Traffer
10-28-2016, 03:21 PM
At least he had the balls to do it. Most people have to pay a gunsmith big money to adjust their sights, being the spoon fed wusses that they are. Our country is well off with people who will take a welder modify something to their liking. And I would bet the guy has learned things that the folks who have to learn it in school will never know. Yours truly, A low budget dremel gunsmith. Gee what fun it is to poke fun at peoples work. Especially when we pay enormous fees to have "experts" do everything for us.

NoZombies
10-28-2016, 03:28 PM
It's important to know your limitations.

Traffer
10-28-2016, 03:32 PM
It just goes to show how simple guns really are. And how even the most amateur of people can accomplish the modification of them.
Friend sent this picture and I have to see if I can post it so you roll with laughter. Best shade tree yucker thing I ever seen. 179577 Real custom scope mount! :bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2::bigsmyl2:

NavyVet1959
10-28-2016, 03:32 PM
At least he had the balls to do it. Most people have to pay a gunsmith big money to adjust their sights, being the spoon fed wusses that they are. Our country is well off with people who will take a welder modify something to their liking. And I would bet the guy has learned things that the folks who have to learn it in school will never know. Yours truly, A low budget dremel gunsmith. Gee what fun it is to poke fun at peoples work. Especially when we pay enormous fees to have "experts" do everything for us.

I'm not saying that he has to pay a gunsmith to mount the scope. I'm just saying that he should practice a bit more so that he can do a quality job before hacking up a nice rifle like that.

And a bit of Dremel time might have done him a bit good on that work. I'm not a great welder, but a bit of time with an air cutoff wheel or a die grinder and my shortcomings are not as noticeable. :)

44man
10-28-2016, 03:52 PM
I did a lot of gunsmith work but friends still get free. I can't charge those that hunt with me. Even then I charged little for work for a stranger. Some of my stock and checkering might be worth thousands but I don't care. It was pride and friends. I worked for a living so working on guns was a hobby. I got damned good.
When you take a plank and do this.179611179612or this. 179613 notice I use no borders to checker. 179614Made the brass parts and engraved it too.

44man
10-28-2016, 04:01 PM
179615I was a master and made my own tools to cut. Even to engrave steel. I never bought a pre cut stock. Mine are from planks or wood from trees that fell I planked with a chainsaw. The Swede is cherry. Then an enfield I did for a friend.

44man
10-28-2016, 04:16 PM
You don't know me but we have so many here that do the best. Doug is just one. He is like me and will not bust your savings. You get much more then you pay for.

castalott
10-28-2016, 06:18 PM
That is a bit much... But another story... When young I bought a 350 Chevy 4 bolt main block that was perfect except for a split open 2 inch crack in the lifter valley. Dad worked with some hotshot power station welders decided he could fix it. He drilled a hole about 1/4 inch past the crack on each end. Then taped the block with a hammer until the crack jumped to the holes ( and stopped). Vee'd the whole think out with a grinder and welded it with some nickle rods. He welded about 1/4 inch per day. it worked perfect. I put most of the guts out of my Z motor in it and ran it hard for 10+ years... Dad was really something....

joatmon
10-28-2016, 08:28 PM
Scope mount for a VERRRY long neck!

Aaron

leeggen
10-28-2016, 10:50 PM
Talk about high rise scopes.
wow
CD

17nut
10-29-2016, 07:41 AM
He used a stick welder and damp rods to boot. You cant get crappier than that.

Geezer in NH
10-29-2016, 09:48 AM
That guy deserves this for his effort.

NavyVet1959
10-29-2016, 09:54 AM
Talk about high rise scopes.
wow

More high rise than an AR-15 with a handle mounted scope?

44man
10-29-2016, 11:03 AM
That is a bit much... But another story... When young I bought a 350 Chevy 4 bolt main block that was perfect except for a split open 2 inch crack in the lifter valley. Dad worked with some hotshot power station welders decided he could fix it. He drilled a hole about 1/4 inch past the crack on each end. Then taped the block with a hammer until the crack jumped to the holes ( and stopped). Vee'd the whole think out with a grinder and welded it with some nickle rods. He welded about 1/4 inch per day. it worked perfect. I put most of the guts out of my Z motor in it and ran it hard for 10+ years... Dad was really something....
True about cast. And aluminum. Need a stop hole and heat the cast before the weld.
I worked ramp at UAL and if there was a crack in airplane skin, it was stop drilled before a patch put on, thousand stinking rivets! Had one 737 so full of patches it looked like a quilt.
Mechanics taught me to weld aluminum and stainless. Only ramp tramp in history to use tools and materials mechanics used. I had the use of the stock rooms and tool rooms.
Just went to a send off party for a mechanic friend that transferred to Hawaii. Met all my old friends and load planners. Only ramp tramp ever invited to maintenance functions. Many still thanked me for fixing guns and machines. I got a lot of hugs.
Carol gripes that I have so many friends and she has none but she would not go to the party with me. She knows many too. My life has revolved around good friends, it has been a wonder. You reap what you sow.
I feel the same about all of you even if we don't agree.
I thank the Lord I can come here with good people. I thank all of you too.

DougGuy
10-29-2016, 11:45 AM

Yes but he used stainless because it matched the receiver so give him a mark for dissimilar metals!

AND welded it cold so as not to overheat it! :roll:

I thank the Lord I can come here with good people. I thank all of you too.

^^^^ EGG zactly! Back atcha sir!

44man
10-29-2016, 11:55 AM
Yes but he used stainless because it matched the receiver so give him a mark for dissimilar metals!

AND welded it cold so as not to overheat it! :roll:

^^^^ EGG zactly! Back atcha sir!
Funny none the less. Good anchor to drop Hillary in deep water. But bap the thing and it would fall off, saving her. OH-OH, did I get into politics? Sorry!

Garyshome
10-29-2016, 12:41 PM
I know I need practice, but did you have to show the world?

Col4570
10-29-2016, 12:57 PM
An acquaintance of mine welded an underlug on his Rolling block Rifle Barrel and it bent like a Banana.

44man
10-29-2016, 01:05 PM
Very nice work there, 44man. Most impressive.

PB
Thank you. I had fear you would not believe. A friend would bring a $300 hunk of wood so you do NOT screw up, NOT EVER. To fit the action, shape and checker needs pills not made.
I don't know how I did it.
Wood work is hard and I look back and wonder what a crazy SOB would do that by hand. I see hundreds of thousands for gun prices with checkering that is sad. I would be ashamed. Borders hide over runs that I never got.
But fear is real. I understand all of you. To drill and tap scope mounts by hand is not like a jig and tools. I still don't need them.

Ballistics in Scotland
10-29-2016, 01:59 PM
At least he had the balls to do it. Most people have to pay a gunsmith big money to adjust their sights, being the spoon fed wusses that they are. Our country is well off with people who will take a welder modify something to their liking.

I'm sure it is, except that fixing a scope mount on even the lower-powered sort of high-powered rifle is not the time to do it, and if he had been working on something more suitable, practicing on scrap metal first would do no harm.

44man
10-29-2016, 02:16 PM
I love the rail the rings are on! Cut from a fender of a rusty model A? Cut with a chisel too.

tdoyka
10-29-2016, 04:46 PM

oh man, i betcha that guy saves awhole lotta money instead of buying a scope base!!! i'm going to do that weldin' techinque on my own rifles. as a matter of fact, i'm goin' go into my own business, all i have to do is bring up the old stick welder and i'll be set!!! and look at that picture, you don't have to weld pretty, just like putting chewin gum between two pieces of steel...like i do!!!
so i'm takin' orders, who's next?:roll:[smilie=1::redneck::kidding:

wow! all i can say is wow. i can sorta weld, mig is kinda good, stick is not so good. if i don't have a choice, i will weld anything. it won't be pretty, but it will be welded. now my little brother can weld and it looks durn prutty. but that!!!! wow.

Ballistics in Scotland
10-30-2016, 05:05 AM

MIG welding is normally a benevolent friend to the amateur, such as me. I sailed in quite a bit of weather with my stainless forestay fitting. But it could achieve the same quality with an inadequate gas supply.