PDA

View Full Version : RB in 444 Marlin

krag35
10-31-2005, 10:19 AM
there is a .437 Lyman RB mold on ebay pretty cheap (4 now ) I'm thinking a RB load for my Winchester in 444 might be a good idea. Could also use in my Redhawk. Any comments? Just looking for a fun ( cheap) plinking load.

krag35

Denver
10-31-2005, 11:38 AM
there is a .437 Lyman RB mold on ebay pretty cheap (4 now ) I'm thinking a RB load for my Winchester in 444 might be a good idea. Could also use in my Redhawk. Any comments? Just looking for a fun ( cheap) plinking load.

krag35

I've got a Lee .440 RB mold and used the balls in my 44mag handguns as well as my Marlin 94 44 Mag. I run them thru a .430 sizing die first which leaves a nice flat band about .10 wide.I seat and crimp them on the top edge of the band. Loaded over 5-6 grs Bullseye, they shoot remarkably well out to 35 yds or so. They will of course shoot much lower and sight adjusment is necessary. Accuracy falls off after a few rounds due to leading, but I've shot a couple lubed bullets after shooting these and accuracy is improved somewhat. I have a target that I shot with my 8 3/8 barrel Mod 29 at 25 yds that is just over an inch with 4 shots in one hole. I've also loaded these as a double ball load. Never tried it, but I think you could put some lube between the balls and cut down on the leading.
Personally, I'd buy the Lee mold as it doesn't leave the raised nib on the ball like the Lyman does and you can probably get a double cav at Midsouth for less that you'll pay for something from E-Bone.

Good luck

45 2.1
10-31-2005, 01:47 PM
I have a Lyman .437 RB mould and use it like you suggest. Size the ball in a 0.432" sizer and LEE lube if you want. 4.0 gr. of WW 231 works quite well.

beagle
10-31-2005, 05:45 PM
Good advice. Size them to .431 or .432 with a flat top punch. Gives you a full sized .431 slug with a slightly covex top and a flat base.

I load using my M die as a seater with a final crimp with the regulat seater die.

You'll maybe be able to get as much as a 3 ball load with it. Two ball loads are better. I've shot similar loads in my .45/70. Accuracy isn't bad at up to 50 yards./beagle

Denver
10-31-2005, 06:27 PM
Krag 35,

Shoulda asked before. How does your Winny 444 shoot cast? What do you think of the ported barrel? Looks like the porting on Marlins went away. Haven't seen or handled the Winchester, but it looks like a nice rifle from the ads.

Thanks, D

krag35
10-31-2005, 08:38 PM
Denver;
don't know how it shoots cast, haven't gotten around to it yet. I have Lyman's 429649 (350 gr. lubed and gaschecked) I plan on using for Elk, and Lyman's 429667 I plan on backwards gas checking and pushing fast for Deer or whatever. Have put 350 rounds of whatever was cheapest 240 gr jacketed bullets thru it over 15 gr of Unique. Still have 150 to go before I start messing with cast. Also plan on working up a 410 load for it using shot cups.

Mine don't have the porting on it, that's why I bought it. At the time, the Marlin "Outfitters" all had porting, and I really don't like the pistol gripped Marlins. Except for the stupid safety button on it, feels just like my 1930's '94. I have a peep sight here for it, but havenot gotten around to drilling and tapping it yet. I also think a good recoil pad might be a great idea.

I hadn't thought about a multi ball load for this, I seem to remember someting about that being posted here about the 45\70. don't remember the results tho. I'm thinking a RB load might just be fun and cheap to play with. I have some 44 cal fiber wads I could seat under, with a bit of lube, think that might reduce leading, or would liquid alox be enough. 750-900 fps would do what I want just fine.
krag35

bravokilo
10-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Krag35, if you can lay your hands on a 10th ed. Handloaders Digest read "The 444 Formula for Survival" by Robert K. Sherwood. Lots of good info in there.

BK

gregg
11-01-2005, 12:05 AM
I have seated a RB in a case then pour a ring of Lee liquid alox over the top Then let it dry.

beagle
11-03-2005, 02:00 PM
Gregg...try roling your sized RBs in liquid alox cut with lighter fluid. Then, place them on a piece of screen until they dry. Mush less mess and hassle./beagle

I have seated a RB in a case then pour a ring of Lee liquid alox over the top Then let it dry.

Four Fingers of Death
11-04-2005, 03:54 AM
My mate used to load three lead balls in his 45/70 years age. gave about a three-four inch group at 40-50ysrds he said. Don't know what his load was though. I remember him saying he used to use it on pigs in the lignum (thick scrub). His reasoning was that he didn't need the power of the 45/70 and this load was a bit more forgiving in multiple shot snap shooting at very short ranges.

Sounded like fun.

Newtire
11-10-2005, 10:03 AM
My mate used to load three lead balls in his 45/70 years age. gave about a three-four inch group at 40-50ysrds he said. Don't know what his load was though. I remember him saying he used to use it on pigs in the lignum (thick scrub). His reasoning was that he didn't need the power of the 45/70 and this load was a bit more forgiving in multiple shot snap shooting at very short ranges.

Sounded like fun.
I used those loads out of the article "444 Formula for Survival" Used 8 gr. Unique with the round ball sized thru a .430" sizer with the flat sides, lubed with liquid alox. Very accurate at 25yds. Same point of impact as the big 265 Hornady's I was using for pigs. I also loaded the three ball load using 30 gr. H-335 with one round ball, an Ox-Yoke BP revolver wad, another ball, another wad, & then finally another ball crimped in place. About 6" horizontal spread at 50 yds. The load listed in there that didn't prove to be safe was one with shot inside a .410 shotshell wad with a round ball crimped into place (to cap off the load) over 10 gr. Unique. I got real sticky extraction with that one. The shot loads by themselves with an inverted gas check as a top wad worked real nice maybe for a snake-load but spread real fast and can only be single loaded. All-in-all, a great article! Convinced me to go out & buy a Marlin .444!

Abert Rim
11-10-2005, 12:06 PM
Seems like you could keep the leading down by casting RBs for this purpose from wheelweights and lubing with Liquid Alox.