PDA

View Full Version : Powder Magizine

joatmon
10-28-2016, 01:13 AM
Anybody else use an outdoor powder magazine? Mine came when I bought at auction a piece of land that had been a coal mine back in the 80's. It's about 4ft x 4ft x 4ft and made from 1/2" steel with a wood floor. My dream in life is to get it full of reloading powder.
Aaron

rancher1913
10-28-2016, 09:57 AM
I keep powder in the wife's root cellar, packed in ammo cans it stays dry and the temp stays above freezing but no bad swings.

dverna
10-28-2016, 10:21 AM
Insulated and heated detached garage.

Don Verna

Blackwater
10-28-2016, 11:23 AM
One neat thing I've read is to just take an old chest type freezer with the magnetically closing doors, that no longer works, and use that to store powder in. It's supposed to be good for storage inside a house since if there's ever a fire, the insulation and metal outer surface retard its igniting for long enough that most homes will have the FD there before ignition occurs. Haven't seen it proven or even tested, but it sure sounds like an easy way for time-challenged folks to have a fairly safe storage bin for powder and primers. If it were to ever ignite, the door would blow open easily and quickly and thus, keep it from being contained and becoming a virtual bomb in the house. That's the theory, anyway, and it sounds good, but again, I haven't seen any verification or tests, so .... take it at that. Old freezers are sometimes seen at our county dumpster sites. You're not supposed to be able to take stuff out, but for something like that, a "tip" to the overseer and you'll usually get him to help you load it up. One friend of mine used to take a 6-pack with him for "bait." Worked every time he tried it, and he got some neat stuff out of the dumpsters, believe it or not. He was a fixer-upper type of guy and loved making something from "nothing." Had plenty of money. Just liked "rescuing" things for free, or nearly so. I guess I hang around some weird people?

Walla2
10-28-2016, 12:29 PM
I use an old stand up freezer with a magnet door stored on a covered slab by my shop. Works very well. The temperature does fluctuate with the outside temperature but very slowly. When it was over 100 outside inside the freezer was 70. It isn't plugged in.

mold maker
10-28-2016, 01:02 PM
I use an old freezer and the temp hardly changes. The magnetic seal holds the door with no resistance to explosive force.

Freightman
10-31-2016, 01:24 PM
I have used a old refrigerator for years, inside of the shop stays cool in summer and above freezing in winter. Been using for at least 25 yrs