PDA

View Full Version : Materials and Cost of making your own

RogerDat
10-27-2016, 11:32 PM
I used the formula of Check material thickness = (Bullet Sized Diameter - GC Shank Diameter) / 2 and find my 223 would need material of .010 to .0095 This corresponds to the 1/2 hard .010 copper originally used but what would one use in aluminum? And where would one get that aluminum stock?

I need a count of how many 22 gas checks I can expect per sq. ft. so I can calculate costs to produce. I also need a source for the aluminum stock in thickness appropriate for this caliber (.010) any other calibers quantity per sq. ft. and sources in general are really welcome.

I found with much digging that one member posted they get 670 gas checks in 30 caliber per square foot of material. How many gas checks will I get per square foot doing 22 gas checks? I wondered if there would be more per square foot because they are smaller. Or more waste since the stock is cut to same width but smaller portion used.

So for 30 caliber one can buy the Amerimax .014" Aluminum part number #68104 from Ace Hardware. At 4" x 50' Pat suggests one will get approx. 576 gas checks per sq. ft. I also saw that the thinner stock was too hard and would have to be annealed to use. Would much rather purchase in correct hardness.

My rough calculations of sheet copper prices find that even at 670 per sq. ft. I can't save much until one buys material in quantity. At around $100 worth of .010 copper it looks like I could get things down to saving $4 per thousand checks. So it looks like aluminum would be much cheaper but so far having trouble locating a supply of .010 aluminum at a good price.

I did read where a gas check company makes their 22 gas checks out of .008 or even .005 and coils and foils suggested they have .008 or .0082 in 1/2 inch width but that the thicker .009 or .010 was currently only carried in 5/8 width but out of stock right now. Don't see how my sizing at .224 is going to properly crimp on less than .010 thick check.

yonky
10-28-2016, 08:38 AM
A 22 cal makes a hole .306" in diameter a strip 3/8" wide( for use with a freechex style tool) would make about 38 checks per foot, I have just had some .010" aluminium delivered to me, I would have to send it direct from the uk. Ian (coil &.foil)

PatMarlin
10-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Here's a wealth of information on slugging your bore:

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?78293-How-to-slug-a-barrel

http://7.62x54r.net/MosinID/MosinSlug.htm